Sign in to follow this  
robertstuartmarshall

So hard as a non Steam user to install.

I know Arma 2 is a hardcore ga,e, but I am almost crying in desperation at just how hard it is trying to work out how to install this gorgeous looking mod as a non steam user.

Every single download tutorial just shows me stem installation, and I have the hard copy of Arma 2 plus the Sprocket download of OA.

My path is basically c:program files/bohemia interactive

I have managed to work out the Spirited Machine launcher bit, including pathways etc, but God this installation is definitely not newb friendly for us non-steam users.

I will struggle on, but could someone please do a really dumbie guide for people like me who are not technically adept but really want to play this awesome looking mod.

You've probably already watched my guide;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ib73cBf_-Ys

In which I do use Steam, ignoring the steam component at the start I've used this method to install with the sprocket version, no issues.

As long as you follow the instructions re: correct installation of the mod and setting up Spirited Machine's launcher then there should be no issues.

Are you still having issues or is it sorted?

Mag.

Im using the sprocket version too and i cant find any dayz server , look like this mod have not been made for us,

@feelin like been black

There isn't really a difference at all when installing mods between steam and non-steam. Your mod files when extracted should be placed in C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@dayz\Addons. You need to create the @dayz Folder in the main directory then inside create another folder named "Addons" If you are using a Launcher it should be pretty straight forward.

Without a launcher, you need to create a shortcut of arma2oa.exe and change the target inside of the properties to "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2oa.exe" -mod=@dayz

Simple:

1. Locate: C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\

2. Create folder: "@dayz" with a sub-folder "Addons"

3. Extract all DayZ files into "Addons"

4. Create a shortcut of arma2oa.exe right click and select properties then add the following line to to target: -mod=@dayz

With that it should be working fine!

-Elektroshock

Is it really that hard? I've been using non-steam install for so long its second nature to me.

So the way A2 works is that you store all your mods in the same folder as A2. The way mod folders work is first you name a mod folder like this:

1. Create a new folder called "@somethingmod" where "somethingmod" is something you type in to help your recognize your mod.

2. Inside @somethingmod, make a folder called "Addons" and another one called "Keys"

3. In "Addons" place .pbo files and .bisign files. In "Keys" place .bikey files.

Note: you can mix various .pbo files together so you can actually place multiple mods' .pbo files into one folder so use em all together.

4. Then make a shortcut to the A2 .exe and modify the target line so that you add -mod:@somethinmod;@somethingmod2 at the end.

That was a general guide to mod folders in A2 for dayz specifically do this:

1. Create a folder in your Arma 2 folder that is named @dayz, inside the @dayz folder make another folder called "Addons"

2. Download all the zips on the website and unzip all the files into /@dayz/addons folder.

3. Create a shortcut to your Arma 2 CO .exe and then right click it and access properties.

4. Edit the target line at the end so it reads "C:/BohemiaInterac...Arma2CO.exe" -mod=@dayz

5. Use that shortcut to play dayz.

guys, if anything, it's actually easier to install mods on the non-steam version of the game, here's how(i have the sprocket games, too)

download all the dayz mod files

go to your Arma 2 directory, should be Program Files(x86)/BohemiaInteractive/Arma2

in your Arma 2 directory, make a folder called "@dayz"

in that folder create a folder called "addons"

put all the downloaded dayz files in there

to use mods, i like to use a launcher program - my favorite is Arma II Launcher, which can be found on armaholic

start the launcher and it should automatically detect all your mod folders. then create a new group, drag the dayz mod into that group, make sure it's ticked, and start the game.

holy fuck... and I always wondered, how it could possibly be that a lot of people buy games on Steam even though apart from sales there's nothing good there. now I know.

here's something that will end all of your troubles:

http://www.six-updater.net/p/download.html

non-Steam ArmA is SO easy to setup and configure, you wouldn't believe.

oh, and use this too:

http://arma2.paro-technology.com/?page_id=7

One of the biggest issues I was having was after creating the @dayz and addons folders, I dragged the rars in there to extract and just kept getting a weird winrar exception error.

I just basically plodded on and extracted them all to desktop then dragged them into the right folder. After that, the main mistake i made was not having the 1.60 OA patch installed which was getting me connection errors.

I have it working now, but to those who say it is so easy, remember not all of us are pathway or mod installing experts, but as usual too many people do not take that into account and think that because they can do it it is really easy.

It's not. To some people, having 10 screens open with instructions to do this and path this that way, etc etc can be actually very confusing and hard to follow, so bear that in mind.

remember not all of us are pathway or mod installing experts

man, Six Updater and Launcher do that for me. seriously, if you ever intend to play ArmA2 with other mods, make sure to install those first, they'll make your life so much easier

remember not all of us are pathway or mod installing experts

man' date=' Six Updater and Launcher do that for me. seriously, if you ever intend to play ArmA2 with other mods, make sure to install those first, they'll make your life so much easier

[/quote']

Cheers for that, will look into those tools asap. Day Z is enough for me atm as far as Arma 2 mods go, but there are some good ones out there that interest me for later. :)

Eh, I have been using the same good old method of shortcuts (@mod=) since 2001 :D