Sign in to follow this  
ndk

own dedicated server

recently i send a request to register my own dedicated server. but was rejected because "we do not allow home hosting". why should i pay the money? my cluster is fully satisfies the server requirements? bandwith is 100Mbps.

home lines, be it cable or fiber, with provider-promised 100/100, often are not comparable to datacenters hooked on proper backbones, and prone to lag spikes and load-balancing induced congestion times. many advertised 100mbit connections are also asyncronous, offering 100mbit download but meager 10 - 30 mbit upload speed.. add to that consumer-grade router and switch, and you have the recipe for frustration...

Edited by e47

Download: 90.61Mb/s

Upload: 82.28 Mb/s

Ping: 4 ms

2145767972.png

Edited by ndk

why? i would like to know the reason. me and my friends do not want to depend the whim of the administrator. but we already have own server. so why we should spend our money? :)

Edited by ndk

Because it's their mod and they get to decide?

What more reason do you need?

there is nothing wrong with asking questions. there may be a misunderstanding. :)

I would imagine it has to do with the designers wanting to set a standard of quality for their players. This would be be requiring proper dedicated boxes hosted in proper data centers. In other words, temperature controlled rooms with multiple failover/redundancy provisions, and enterprise network equipment. You don't want people to constantly complain about how their favorite server went down because of a power outage or the server admin got bored.

Sure there are exceptions both ways, but weeding out people who want to run servers from their home is a good first step. I would do the same if I were them. I would only want people hosting game servers who are serious enough to run it out of a proper data center.

it's not so fun like a full server. :(