Sign in to follow this  
Playa (DayZ)

Skillsets to encourage cooperation

What I was thinking was having a choice of a skillset when you spawned. I'm not talking anything huge, just something enough to make you a little better at a certain task in DayZ. It'd kind of be like a job before the zombie apocalypse.

Some ideas:

1. Mechanic. Vehicles would take a few less parts to fix up. (Vehicles need 2 engine parts or 2 fueltank parts to repair instead of 1)

2. EMT. Bandage wounds faster (Less blood loss) Medical tasks may be faster?

3. Outdoorsman. Able to get a few more meats off of dead animal bodies, able to start fires without matches (Have matches be scarcer)

Can't think of anymore right now.

Don't get me wrong I'm against classes and that bs. But this is mainly from the view of getting more cooperation into the game. None of these would or should put you "above" another player. Everyone can still accomplish the same thing, with realitive ease. But if you're running along and see someone of another skillset you may be able to join up.

This of course would be for the standalone.

Has been suggested before.

Answer is no.

Use the search function.

Yes, I am being a dick right now.

Yes, thats because I just dyed and go QQ now.

That would be good also some starter gear not much but you have to do a survival/medical/other skill set question list to let you have that skill set and perhaps fire steels that only survivor class can use them matches could be for the others but only 40 uses to a box and road flares could be used to make a fire instead of matches if nesicary and perhaps a soldier class or cop class or farmer class that gets a double barrel for starter gun or an axe

wrong game.

skills/levels/character classes not going to happen with current vision of the game.

of course no one can say what the future may bring. but one of the appealing, unique features of DayZ is the point, that you have to define your role for yourself, and that you're not defined by arbitrary skills or talents of your virtual avatar, but by your interaction as a player..

As the others have stated in more assholish fashion, this sort of thing has been proposed and mostly rejected, but I do like the notion.

The main complaints is that this is not an RPG, use of XP etc. shouldn't be included, but I would like to see some benefit to task completion beyond simple survival.

Using the terms "class" and "skillset" is what seems to set folks off the most, so maybe we try proposing something that uses terms the bandits CoD fanboys cream their pants over... achievements!

These unlocks would not be restricted based solely on playstyle, and available to anyone who completes the pre-reqs and would be of general enough benefit not to promote one style heavily over another.

Using your examples:

Mechanic (Repair a motorized vehicle [car, bus or helicopter]) - Vehicles would take fewer parts to fix up.

EMT (Bandage 5 other survivors and perform 2 blood transfusions) - Bandaging and blood fusion times reduced by 20%

Outdoorsman (Gut 30 steaks from animals) - Animals provide you with 1 additional steak when gutted.

• Like 1

I think having classes would be a great idea. Cooperation is so hard to come by. I've died so many times yelling friendly that I can't even count it. Basically if you don't know anyone that plays this game you're screwed. This seems to me to be the biggest flaw for this game. I started two weeks ago and have yet to find someone that is actually friendly.

One thing i've thought of is reducing the amount of tools a player could carry. Or atleast reducing the toolspots. I think this would heavily encourage teamplay as just one player wouldn't be able to do everything. Wanna gut animals, make a fire and cook the meat? Sure, but you need the right tools for that. You're gonna fix a vehicle? Oops, shouldn't have shot that guy earlier.. That toolbox would sure come in handy now, but I don't want to drop my map and compass.

You might say that this would hurt lonewolfers too much. Well, surviving on your own is alot harder than being in a group.