Nickds54

CURRENCY IDEA!!

First off I'd like to go ahead and excuse any typos because I'm on my phone, and I couldn't decide were to post it so I figured it would probably most likely be read here.

Ok so here's my idea, what if we use Heatpacks as money? Let's face it, there's only like a 10% chance that you'll ever need to use a heat pack and even if you do you can always just make a fire. I think these will work best because there not that common but also not rare and people can make there own amounts, but I'd like to hear what you guys think. What would be te downfall Of using heat packs? Of course hackers will dupe them or dupe them in tents but if there in the stand alone I think it will work out fine

• Like 3

You must be new here. If you spend a bit more time here you will see most of these forums are generally oppose to any sort of currency. It would break the feel of the game.

Then go convince people to do it. Won't be implemented, but if you can convince everyone to do it then it would work.

I don't want them to implement it, I'm saying we should start doing it. I'm talking toto fuel low survivors, if you support this idea then spread the word and then when you run into someone on the street you can tell them you'll trade them 5 heat packs for a blood bag and then maybe they will ask for 10 or whatever, sort of like how ok fallout they use caps

Anyone else thought he was going to say can tabs?

So everyone ends up grinding away chasing heatpacks ? If i want a bloodpack i will get my own. Heatpacks have become somewhat important now, i had to use two last night in a rainy night server to stave off the flu. I am fine with no currency..its painful enough in the real world.

• Like 1

I am going to hopefully assume a form of credit notes will be producible with a notebook and pen, to make trading easier.

In this type of game you want the currency to be something that is widely available to all players, but also useful to everyone. I'll try to make up an example for you. Let's say we use all types of beef as currency. Ranging from rabbit meat to cow. Since different types of meat have heal different amounts of blood we can pretend that rabbit meat = $1 while cow meat = $100 and everything else in between is based off of the amount of blood it heals. Since everyone needs to eat to survive and also since meat restores a hell of a lot more blood than beans every type of player can benefit from it, which would prompt players to trade items in exchange for beef. Heatpacks ........I could work I guess. I mean anything could work in reality! However, the whole player base would have to accept that heat packs are the currency now, no matter the usefulness and rarity. Anyways, that is what came off the top of my head after reading your post. I kind of worded the whole thing poorly, but you should get the point =p.

You must be new here. If you spend a bit more time here you will see most of these forums are generally oppose to any sort of currency. It would break the feel of the game.

On whose authority do you have that on?

I am a fan of player-made currencies.

However, heatpacks just aren't cool enough. Should be cigars/cigarettes/alcohol!

Edited by Scerun

OP attempts to convince people to use heatpacks as money.

Response?

"Hey, how about you go try to convince people to do that."

Sometimes I wonder...

Here is the deal with currency.

Back in the old days, currency was backed up by gold, we were taken off the gold standard, producing fiat money, basically the fiat money is how much you trust in the government to pay for everything.

In a post apocalyptic scenario, maybe way later when communities pop up, but not until, there will be bartering, not money trading, because if you give me some bullets, that's a hell of a lot more useful then a small piece of paper, or some heatpack that you gave me.

If EVERYONE and EVERY server said yes to this, then it may work, but you still need shops, and such for this to work. Then banks would work and all that dandy stuff, but until the currency symbol is WORTH something, it's completely useless. Because nobody is gonna give you a As50 for some heatpacks, because it's both worthless to you, the guy with the gun, and any other player.

• Like 2

Why do we need a currency? Right out of the gate you make a terrible assumption with that statement.

Bartering works just fine. I will give you <these item(s)> for <these item(s)>. DEAL *transaction!* *happy people walk away*. And with that, the DayZ gods said "let there be transactions!"

Try that new and radical idea that doesn't require that arbitrary item(s) be given a universally agreed upon arbitrary value!

If anyone tries to make any sort of currency system you bet I'm going to exercise my ability to hide every such one of those items in zombie bodies/hide the corpse and hunt down anyone trying to make such transactions to do the same to the "currency" they're carrying. That's the beauty of DayZ, the community gets to decide what happens. If a bunch of jerks try and make a currency system, a bunch of bigger jerks can kill all of them until they stop :) If there are more currency jerks than "stop making currency" jerks, then I guess you guys win. Touche, sir. I will see you in Chernarus. LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

Why do we need a currency? Right out of the gate you make a terrible assumption with that statement.

Bartering works just fine. I will give you <these item(s)> for <these item(s)>. DEAL *transaction!* *happy people walk away*. And with that, the DayZ gods said "let there be transactions!"

Try that new and radical idea that doesn't require that arbitrary item(s) be given a universally agreed upon arbitrary value!

If anyone tries to make any sort of currency system you bet I'm going to exercise my ability to hide every such one of those items in zombie bodies/hide the corpse and hunt down anyone trying to make such transactions to do the same to the "currency" they're carrying. That's the beauty of DayZ, the community gets to decide what happens. If a bunch of jerks try and make a currency system, a bunch of bigger jerks can kill all of them until they stop :) If there are more currency jerks than "stop making currency" jerks, then I guess you guys win. Touche, sir. I will see you in Chernarus. LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

Well like I said, it would take a server wide, all players on the server agreement, and anyone entering. Plus you would need communities and shops, and shops need suppliers, etc.

Just a big mess unless it's well organized.

And unless our dear Rocket gives us a way of making bases not just tent citys and barbwire were won't have a "amazing" ingame community. I never got why Rocket never allowed making of like, barrack tents if you had the needed supplies.

I agree with currency, then I can set up a roadblock, and my merry men can rob the coach of its valuables, which I can use to purchase fine silken robes, garnished with precious stones.

the reason the dollar bills we keep in our wallets arent jsut worthless peices of crap is because they are all backed up by gold or something like that by the government. heatpacks are just plain worthless. someone would trade an as50 for lets day 15 heatpack... no chance wanna know why because then they are without a gun and 15 heatpacks. if we wer to do something like this it should atleast be a unified bartering system.

nvg rangefinder gps ghille=1

as50 l85 svd mk58 and other really rare guns= 2

m16 m4 =.75

ak=.5

stanag=.15

something like this so say you have a m16 yu can get 5 stanag for it

this would be the best form of currency

Edited by oshnatour1

Barter system! Value on items is based on need!

If I need some beans, I'll perhaps trade you an AKM for them if I am desperate.

You know, this bartering system could work depending on the needs of each player, as rocket has said in an interview he wants players to be the brains of the game. In the stand alone game we will have the ability to create underground bases/cities so i can see the power of one city in a server using a "currency" instead of just a "trade ya this for that" system. Maybe i will start an underground city with my clan and use beans for currency, or raw/cooked meat. Or bullets/magazines. There is no limitation to this. If we want to do it, then we can.

They should really add cigarettes to the stand-alone and people should use it as currency. It would be badass on many levels. Especially if you can smoke them too.

what about inventory space? so you get 32 heat packs and you are at full capacity? what does that get you? full toolbelt gear? no, i don't think so. this is a limitation you need to consider first.

Edited by vlko

Currency would only work in the sense of a wall of lockboxes in a building and you put the payment on the box and write what you want for it

Ie you have some M9 Sd ammo but need stannag rounds, chuck it in the box and you get a msg that it has been recieved when someone deposits what you need

It would also work for jobs, i.e. i want xxx scumbag killed here is 10 stannag rounds if you manage it box will only open if your the one who does the deed.

obviously the duping needs to stop first :P