Sign in to follow this  
Obeisance

New player concerns

So I'm pretty enthused to play Day Z. I've done a bit of research, watched a bunch of videos. But I haven't picked up the game yet. I understand the game is insanely hard on purpose- I wanted to be prepared instead of noobing out and being unable to work the fiddly inventory or not know what the broken bones icons are.

There's two things stopping me:

a) The constant talk of hackers making servers unplayable. When it takes hours to gear up, then some asshat kills a serverload of people in a second.

B) Mention of Day Z becoming a stand alone.

Are the hackers/stupid kids really that much of an issue?

Is there a timeframe on Day Z leaving ARMA2?

Worth the purchase/time?

1. Yes hackers are a major issue.

2. Not yet.

Number one isn't much of a problem if you have a good sense of humor about it and don't take the game as life-or-death as some people do around here.

Playing the mod will give you a good sense of what is to come. Play it for fun and do not get attached to gear. You will die a lot from players, glitches, and skiddies, but it is still worth it.

The playstyle of DayZ (and it's appeal and replay value) are about true survival and the true threat of death. You WILL die. And you WILL die again. And again. And again.

The point is to hone your skills, learning to scavenge effectively, avoid/kill zombies and avoid/kill other survivors/bandits.

My advice is on your first spawn, run to the nearest town and sprint around the zombies - get a feel for how they move, how you can run away from them, etc. Grab an axe/hatchet and get a feel for how you can kill them with that. I find that it is better to learn the mechanics and get a feel for the game BEFORE spending tons of hours crawling around trying to get gear, just to die by a few zombies because you have no experience.

Hackers normally mass teleport you then kill you. ALT +F4 if you carnt get to the abort.

Or if you start seeing everyone dying, if the kill notification is turned on that server.

Are the hackers really that much of an issue in DayZ?

... Yes.

And the best part is this: A week after you start playing HackZ, you'll laugh that you even asked this question.

Edited by Thorne