Sign in to follow this  
TheSneakySpy

Gaming laptop question

I want to play DayZ at a nice, playable rate, and may soon be able to purchase a fast, hardly even used, gaming laptop from a friend, for hardly even 600$

This laptop model is the Asus G73JW, found here

http://www.asus.com/...#specifications

It retails at about 1.1k dollars, and contains The i7 Quad core, 8GB of ram, and all the other included stuff. I believe it has 750 GB of memory as well, but that doesn't matter. My question is, will i be able to run DayZ with such a laptop? I'm worried about the low clock speeds of 1.7 ghz, but i believe i can overclock it to about 2.6 Ghz. Other than that i just want to play skyrim, and modern games on medium settings with no aa, at about 40 fps. Will this run DayZ fine at medium settings?

EDIT

It looks like it will run just fine, considering this video of arma 2 OA on the same model of laptop

Edited by TheSneakySpy

Allow me to give you this:

I recently bought a variant of the samsung np305va for about 400$ which was 100$ less than advertised. It has a quad core clocked at about 1.6 ghz or 1.3 ghz with low power. 4 GB of DDR3 ram. 500 GB hard drive. Nothing to brag about, although it is a nice computer. it has about a 6.0 windows rating with everything but aero which says 4.4. It can run dayz perfectly fine at medium and medium high settings at about 40 fps on medium and 20 fps on medium high. I have no idea about skyrim, although it can play all my steam games which are basically all the source games as well as the new CS GO at about 30 fps. It can run all the adobe programs (photoshop, after effects) moderately well. So, your computer should be able to breeze through all of it at a clean 40 fps. Of course, damage or bad cooling could definitely cause some problems. And I don't have an idea about software, but some programs could slow it up. So, yes the computer should definitely handle it, and it's an asus so I wouldn't expect super bad hardware problems. It also has a great graphics card. My computer has 500 mb ATi card. So yeah, nice deal.

Ok thanks

I can currently run Cs GO at default settings on my dinky little desktop at like 40 frames, with a raedon 4550, so this should be ok, although i can hardly run dayz at 15 frames on lowest settings :\

I really just want something to play games on :P

I really don't think that's an accurate guess broom, seeing as JC2 on highest is like 50-80 FPS

Plus, its only overclocked a little bit

Crysis 2 MP demo for reference

Edited by TheSneakySpy

I use a Dell XPS 17 with an i7 in it, and I have no issues playing this. It not a real gaming machine but pretends to be one quite well.

I use a Asus G74SX-DH72. http://www.amazon.co...ords=g74sx-dh72. It runs dayz and Skyrim at the same time, on high. (Don't ask why I know this.) ASUS makes a outstanding laptop, don't let these desk slaves tell you that you can't play on a laptop. When it comes to buying a laptop, you get what you pay for. So if you plan on gaming pretty heavy on it, I suggest saving up a little more and buying at the $1500 range. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Edited by xRoosterx