remove nvgs (if it were for me' date=' i'd take away all sniper rifles too as they're just used for assassinating players), boost the range of the chemlights a bit so that they can be used for more than tagging yourself in a group, but not so much that you don't need flares anymore. maybe make them scarcer, fix the flashlight and there you go.

[/quote']

+1 THIS, every word of it.

remove nvgs (if it were for me' date=' i'd take away all sniper rifles too as they're just used for assassinating players), boost the range of the chemlights a bit so that they can be used for more than tagging yourself in a group, but not so much that you don't need flares anymore. maybe make them scarcer, fix the flashlight and there you go.

[/quote']

+1 THIS, every word of it.

+2 ...

If the NVGs were removed I think the moon should make an appearance. I don't know if you can do this but maybe have a half moon or a crescent moon so there is still some light but still not enough to see more than a few metres in front.

I find it a bit annoying not being able to see even the ground you're standing on without lighting yourself up like a Christmas tree.

I'm not sure what the mod team have done exactly with the moon and light levels at night, but from my own experiments in setting up missions it seems Arma has very little middle ground between "no light" and "lots of light". When the moon's out it's almost as good as daylight.

I find it a bit annoying not being able to see even the ground you're standing on without lighting yourself up like a Christmas tree.

this.

we're not in a jungle area, where the canopy doesn't let any light through. under a clear sky I expect to see at least silhouettes of buildings :-/

My vote is for the NVG's to stay.

Fine if they are made battery dependant, or something but NVG's are a 'carrot' for all of us, not just the horrible bandits.

Arent the flares extremely bright to look at with the goggles?

However, I think nighttime is way too dark.

I'm curious about whether the majority of players like having NVGs in game. They're obviously one of the most desirable pieces of high end gear' date=' but they are a complete game-changer at night.

I love the tension of playing at night time, always having to balance the usefulness of light with the risk of detection. Whether I'm weaving through zombies I can barely see in the glow of a chemlight, or being shot by a sneakier player who managed to outmaneuver me in the dark, I'm enjoying myself. But NVGs throw that balance. Other players' attempts at stealth become comically obvious, and you can shoot anyone you please while operating in perfect darkness. If someone wearing NVGs does reveal themselves you can try and blind them with flares, but honestly how often does that happen?

So what do people think? Do you want your own NVGs, or do you enjoy fumbling around in the darkness? Personally I'd like to see them either removed or changed to something more like Stalker's low quality night vision (if that's possible).

[/quote']

I've got a video response to this.

Nope.avi

Never found NVG's. Never found a map. Never found a compass. Honestly, for as much as I've played the game, there are a ton of items I've never found. Got my first AK the other day, but I found it on some dead player.

It doesn't fit with civilian zombie survival? By that logic everything except the occasional AK should be taken out. Why would an ex-soviet nation have m249's and 240B's? I think they should remain in the game' date=' and I hope if I run into someone with them my flares and smoke will save me.

[/quote']

Or just kill th efucker during daytime when you got a level playing field?

Though frankly if i had nvg's i would never play during daylight again.

NVG is one of those items in a game where you either have it and love it or you dont have it, and it gets used against you and you absolutely hate it.

NVG is one of those items in a game where you either have it and love it or you dont have it' date=' and it gets used against you and you absolutely hate it.

[/quote']

which is why i dont think it should be removed ATALL.

right now as someone mentioned its a carrot dangling infront of you, i dont have an nvg and i love raiding barracks for the chance of finding one.

Make NVGs look like shit. They look like shit in real life so make them look like shit in the game. This is one thing that I wish ACE would've addressed but they never did. NVGs are too good in this game when really I shouldn't be able to see more than 200ft and at that range it still sucks ass.

I don't really know how this can be addressed, but the Predator Mod gave you different modes of vision and some of them looked like shit so you just used the NVG mode.

Add some grain to it or saturate the hell out of it so lights from 1000m blind you.

Edit: But to be fair, the day I find NVGs is the day I log off and hop on the darkest most empty server available and loot the fuck out of it. NVGs are indeed the biggest carrot.

I've had NVG and played with it during the nights. I want it removed, at least till the PK spiral will be under control. Or make it so rare that u don't have to worry running in to someone having one. That thing is just way to good at night.

Make NVGs look like shit. They look like shit in real life so make them look like shit in the game. This is one thing that I wish ACE would've addressed but they never did. NVGs are too good in this game when really I shouldn't be able to see more than 200ft and at that range it still sucks ass.

I don't really know how this can be addressed' date=' but the Predator Mod gave you different modes of vision and some of them looked like shit so you just used the NVG mode.

Add some grain to it or saturate the hell out of it so lights from 1000m blind you.

Edit: But to be fair, the day I find NVGs is the day I log off and hop on the darkest most empty server available and loot the fuck out of it. NVGs are indeed the biggest carrot.

[/quote']

This isn't accurate, especially the distance. I'll try to take some pictures tonight with mine to show you their real life effectiveness. (Or you could just cruise the night vision section of AR15.com if you don't want to wait.)

There is one particular limitation though that isn't properly rendered in game. When you have the objective len adjusted for distance viewing (100+ meters) anything close up (less than 5 meters) is severely out of focus and extremely fuzzy. Only when you have the pinhole daylight lens cap on is everything at all distances in focus (due to the pin hole acting as an infinite focus lens) and you obviously wont be using that at night.

All my time in the Marine Corps I was never happy with NVGs. The ones in games are too clear. You don't have to be blind at 500 ft, but at least make picking out people more difficult......... much more so, movement yes you can see a bit, but defined shapes at pretty much 1 km.......... come on.

Example from the site you recommended.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/PICT0440.jpg

I think NVG is a great addition to the game. They are damned near impossible to find, so I don't think it's unfair for people to have them since they would've either got extremely lucky or put a lot of hard work into finding them.

I have been searching for them for quite a while now, I havent yet, and imo, its a good objective for long time survivor like me. I also haven't found a single tent, already used tents, many, but one for me, none. After I completed these two objectives I will only need to find a repair a decent vehicule. So imo, we need to keep it for achievement sake.

Example from the site you recommended.

Good distance shot without any magnifier or scope in use.

Here's a closeup pic that shows a bit how things very close start to get fuzzy depending on how you have it focused.

eotech.jpg

And this is of a rock formation at 500 meters with the NVG using a x3 magnifier..

PICT0061.jpg

Edit: Found a pic from taken using some PVS-7C's in that thread' date=' figured it'd be germane to post considering the in-game NVG's are -7's.

[img']http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9679/nvjv4.jpg

That bloom on the horizon is a city 30 miles away. Out on the Red Sea during my first deployment our NVG's would pick up the gas flares on oil rigs that were over the horizon.

I think NVG would actually help take the load of day time servers A LOT if they were added to each new character but except from that i do think they should be very very rare, the rarest in the mod because of the benefits it provides.

All i want to do is find NVG's because after i get home from work i get about 1 hour or two of little light before the darkness hits so most of my dayz time during weekdays consists of sneaking about at night. I have been to every Airfield and haven't found a pair, anyone got any places they're most likely to spawn ?