Sign in to follow this  
HatchetHarry

Joining on friends.

Day Z is superb playing on your own, very nice feeling of lonliness etc.

But how do you play with your friends (presuming you don't have a home server) ? You're unable to join a friend's current server via the Steam overlay and I see no way to add a server to a favorite list or a way to grab a server's IP to paste to a mate.

What methods do you use to play with friends from the server list.

Any plans to add functionality to the server browser for such things ?

It's quite difficult to do so given the huge majority of the server list and the name filter. Do you think there will be any plans to extend the functionality of the old server browser?

It's really quite simple. Set the filter to have Mod: DayZ then whenever someone tells you the server ID (SE6 for example) just throw that into the server name. Then it's just a case of enter spamming for a minute or two till you get in with your mate. Keyboard macro's bound to the enter key repeatedly being pressed are a dream. Seems easy to me, and if you ask for the server id in chat most people will tell you due to the majority of people server hopping constantly and forgetting anyway.

The people I play with regularly can get between 5-10 people into servers no worries just doing this depending on how many randoms want to play with us.

Keeping in touch wise we have our own community with irc/forums/mumble and the like, but you can always use the DayZ IRC to keep in touch with people you play with. Register a unique name on the irc server then set up pounce alerts for when people you play with are online (or even a channel for yourself where you can invite people) and go from there. You can always permanently run /busy or /away with your active server ID in the message for quick communication w/o needing to leave the game more than once. Or, since you seem to suggest that you and your mates all are added together on steam, set your steam personal message on steam chat with your server ID when you are playing so people can quickly join you as they log on for the day/evening.

edit for random suggestions.

All this sounds excellent. Currently me and my group of friends sit on skype and basically talk eachother into finding the same game. Which is not always successful. I think the Dev Team would benefit from a feature that allows you to join a friend's game.

person 1 "What server are you going/(already did) to join?"

person 2 "chicago 1" (for example)

person 1 "Cool" *goes to filter -> types "chicago 1" at host name, server immediately shows up and he joins*

How is that inconvenient? I have a feeling you haven't been gaming for long.

Nah not long, only playing them for 18 years and designing them for 3 to 4.

What I was saying was that it would be a great addition to the game.

Really ? That's excellent too.

Is anyone else in agreement that it would benefit the game to have a Join Friends function, a Favourite Server function and perhaps even a way to mass-join with a group of friends.

person 1 "What server are you going/(already did) to join?"

person 2 "chicago 1" (for example)

person 1 "Cool" *goes to filter -> types "chicago 1" at host name' date=' server immediately shows up and he joins*

How is that inconvenient? I have a feeling you haven't been gaming for long.

[/quote']

So basically the same exact system we have now. Still trying to figure out what this post is about. I join Chicago 3, a friend wants to join, I tell him I am on Chicago 3, he filters for Chicago 3 and joins me. Very simple to do.