Sign in to follow this  
jarrodchambo

please help graphic cards

hey every one im sure this has been asked before but as i cant find the topics im going to start a new one. i want to know what graphic card i can get that will smoothen the game out, as i have bad fps, generally 8 fps when running. im noit sure what my current graphic card is tho.

Processor: i have a dell intel core i3 2120 CPU @3.30 Ghz

Ram: 4gb

system: 64 bit

You wana get a geeforce 560ti or better to play smoothly. I recommend a GTX670. Might want to get some more ram though.

• Like 1

Are you using the on-board HD2000 graphics? Almost anything is better than that. If the GTX 560 TI is too pricy then consider a GTX 550 TI. You do not need a GTX 670 to play this game. That's already overkill. The 550 runs about $119-$139. If that's still too much then perhaps a 6670 will do. Make sure whatever card you get that it's running DDR5 memory for better memory bandwidth over older types. If you can spend $300 or save up for it then the GTX 660 TI is awesome. Nearly identical to the GTX 670 except it's on a 192 bit memory interface and some other minor things.

Also when you do upgrade your video card make sure your power supply has sufficient power to run the card. Make sure you have enough amps on a 12v rail and enough wattage. Headroom is always good. You could pick up an Antec 650 Earthwatts for about $69, which would run any single card just fine.

• Like 1

No card will run this game "smoothly" all the time imo, I've got a 560ti 448 and have frame rate/artifact problems as do guys with GTX 670. Worse in towns and built up areas. You will get high to ultra graphics on either card but the engine just isn't optimized enough yet, not sure it ever will be if I'm honest.

That still doesn't stop it looking great at times or being fun to play, just expect the odd graphical hicup.

Edited by DazTroyer
  • Like 1

Are you using the on-board HD2000 graphics? Almost anything is better than that. If the GTX 560 TI is too pricy then consider a GTX 550 TI. You do not need a GTX 670 to play this game. That's already overkill. The 550 runs about $119-$139. If that's still too much then perhaps a 6670 will do. Make sure whatever card you get that it's running DDR5 memory for better memory bandwidth over older types. If you can spend $300 or save up for it then the GTX 660 TI is awesome. Nearly identical to the GTX 670 except it's on a 192 bit memory interface and some other minor things.

Also when you do upgrade your video card make sure your power supply has sufficient power to run the card. Make sure you have enough amps on a 12v rail and enough wattage. Headroom is always good. You could pick up an Antec 650 Earthwatts for about $69, which would run any single card just fine.

im not sure what is in it at the moment, il have to take it apart later, yea 550 is in my price range thankyou, il post what i currently have to see if it is worth upgrading aswell thanks every body for the troll free responses you all have my beans..

Do you not live near any stores that sell video cards? If Ebay is your last resort than you can get a better price for one that comes with everything even though the CD and Manual are useless. When you install the drivers download the ones from Nvidia's official site. Your i3 2120 is good. Arma II doesn't seem to support or at least have consistent support for a Quadcore CPU or greater. Doesn't mean it won't run properly, but rather it won't use anything more than two cores. Your i3 is a dual core with hyperthreading which is fine. DDR3 8gb 1333mHz is fine. The only thing you're lacking that affects in-game performance is a decent GPU.

I have i7 and an HD6970 and I don't play with everything maxed, lol. ARMA II is so poorly optimised...

Just buy whatever the most expensive card you can get is. The GT 560Ti is a decent card if you can manage to stretch your budget, if not the 480 shouldn't be too bad.

ok thanks guys

is a gpu able to be replaced? sorry i know nearly nothing about this stuff, im a former Xbox person

Edited by jarrodchambo

You have a core i3... You should think of a different computer entierly.. Especially because this game is a little too cpu intensive

ARMA II DOES NOT use more than 4GB of Ram or 2GB of VRAM or any more than 4 cores of a processor. Don't listen to 100fps elitists. ARMA is not optimized well, my 6 year old rig (Dual Core @ 2.3GHz 2GB RAM Radeon HD 5450 w/ 1.7GB VRAM) gets 30 fps with optimization software on High/Very High settings plays better than my buddy's 8 core @ 4.2? GHz with 8GB RAM and some crazy ass GPU with 4GB of VRAM.

Yes a GPU can be popped right in.

You have a core i3... You should think of a different computer entierly.. Especially because this game is a little too cpu intensive

Game runs smoothly for me with an i3 2120 and a HD6850 (I am not counting artifacts as they arent related to performance afaik). Absolutley no reason for him to buy a new computer for DayZ. He will likely need a better power supply though if he purchased a pre-built machine and wants a decent graphics card.