CheesyHotDogPuff

Computer Specs Info?

Hi, I'm a bit of a newbie to pc gaming, actually the only major game I've played is minecraft. I really want to play dayz, but I'm not sure if my computer can handle it. I'm getting a much better computer in a few months (Desktop to replace 6 year old dell, R.I.P. Dell) and it should be able to handle dayz. So here are the computer specs:

H.P. Pavillion g6 laptop

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 6.1

Intel i3-2330m 2.20GHz (4 cpu)

Intel HD graphics family 1696 MB Memory

And I already know I have a good enough sound card.

Thanks for any answers! :)

Fuck no, unless you have a superior graph card which I doubt you do, based on your ram amount.

This is the laptop you have now yer? I doubt it but why not download Arma 2 Free and try that? Lower the settings down and see how that players.

Also I would not buy a PC if I where you. I would build one. If you have never built a PC before believe me it is not hard at all. Am one of them people who struggle to fit a light bulb in yet after watching a few youtube video's on how to build a PC I went and built one and it was very easy. I actually just bilt another one today and took me about 30 minsutes.

Edited by ocelot20

No, that will not run DayZ. Any Intel graphics is completely utter junk if you're looking to game. You need a dedicated graphics card and the CPU needs to be at least 2.8Ghz to run Arma 2 at medium to high settings (depending on what you buy). You would be lucky to get 20 FPSs with that set up you posted.

Stay away from Dells, they sell PCs that are great for office and normal web browsing but is completely obsolete in gaming. Since you said you're not good with PCs, I suggest you contact a professional to help you BUILD your own PC. Which is rather easy if you know how to work a screwdriver (sarcasm).

A decent gaming rig will cost you anywhere from $600-800. That's if you want to run most games on high (Arma 2 is a very demanding game, and even with a $800 system, it's unlikely you'll "max" it, but the difference between high and max is negligible).

And I'm confused, you said you are getting a desktop to replace your 6 year old Dell but that is a laptop you are posting. Laptops are very poor gaming computers. A "gaming laptop" will cost anywhere from $1500 to $2000 and even then, they weigh a ton, they produce heat like no other, and you are not able to upgrade them in the future (so within 3-4 years, you have a near useless $2000 paper weight.)

Edited by Titanic3

Well how good are HPs for gaming?

HP make loads of different PC's. Have you got a link to specs to the one you are buying?

Nope, sorry (MAYBE on the lowest possible settings, but even then I suspect low FPS).

I am using an i7 with a GTX 560 Ti (a ~$250 GPU).

I recommend at least a $200 GPU to play with med/high settings with good FPS.

You don't need an i7 and a $400 graphics card all overclocked until it's ready to set your house on fire to play Arma/DayZ with high settings.

I have an old emachines ET1331G that was $299 at Wal-Mart (2+ years ago). I replaced the power supply with an OCZ 700w supply and put in an Nvidia GTX 460 which was $100 factory refurb job from eBay. All in all about $470 I think. I run very high textures, normal anti aliasing and normal post processing, other settings anywhere between high and very high and at 1680x1050 resolution and my gameplay is silky smooth. Nothing overclocked either, IMHO thats a great way to reduce the lifespan of components.

For price/performance/repair/upgradability go with a desktop unless you absolutely have to have a laptop. Just my 2 cents.

It is difficult/expensive to get good gaming PCs from companies like HP/Dell.

If you are unable to build your own, use companies like CyberPowerPC and iBuyPower to build it for you. Their markup is low and you can much more easily configure and purchase a gaming PC without spending $2000-3000 from HP/Dell/Alienware.

Edited by ThuggleS

That might run DayZ at medium settings at best. For $700, you can build your own (or pay someone else to do it for a little more) computer that will blow the smoke out of that HP Pavillion.

It is difficult/expensive to get good gaming PCs from companies like HP/Dell.

If you are unable to build your own, use companies like CyberPowerPC and iBuyPower to build it for you. Their markup is low and you can much more easily configure and purchase a gaming PC without spending $2000-3000 from HP/Dell/Alienware.

I'd stay away from them, you can find the parts your self online from multiple vendors and build it your own knowing that everything is tight, neat, and no shortcuts were used. I've seen plenty of reviews where iBuypower and CyberpowerPC were built hastily and when users tried to turn them on, the PC would not boot. Users had to manually open up their own case and plug back in every component for it to work. IMO, this just shows lack of care for products and hastily built PCs.

I don't NEED high settings, I just want to get to play the great mod better known as dayz.

A modern i3 with a $100 GPU will do the trick.

I still say build your own if you can, if not, use CyberPowerPC or iBuyPower - companies like Dell/HP/Alienware have VERY high market on things like graphics cards.

EDIT: Or, buy a cheap PC with an i3 from anyone you want, go buy a $100 GPU, and pop it in. As long as the power supply is ~500w you should be fine.

Edited by ThuggleS

I'd stay away from them, you can find the parts your self online from multiple vendors and build it your own knowing that everything is tight, neat, and no shortcuts were used. I've seen plenty of reviews where iBuypower and CyberpowerPC were built hastily and when users tried to turn them on, the PC would not boot. Users had to manually open up their own case and plug back in every component for it to work. IMO, this just shows lack of care for products and hastily built PCs.

No duh, that's why I said if he CAN'T build it himself they are great sites.

Not everyone wants to learn how to build a computer.

No duh, that's why I said if he CAN'T build it himself they are great sites.

Not everyone wants to learn how to build a computer.

All you need to know is how to use a screwdriver... :rolleyes:

Oh, also an easy tip, if you have a smart phone, a laptop, a tablet, or another PC nearby, watch online videos on how to do it as you're doing it. I was nervous during my first build, now I can probably build a PC with a blindfold on.

Edited by Titanic3

All you need to know is how to use a screwdriver... :rolleyes:

Oh, also an easy tip, if you have a smart phone, a laptop, a tablet, or another PC nearby, watch online videos on how to do it as you're doing it. I was nervous during my first build, now I can probably build a PC with a blindfold on.

Not true at all, really.

I mean, the hardest part about "building" a computer is picking out your parts list.

But beyond that, it is more than just using a screwdriver - if you've ever built one by yourself I'm sure you know this.

And then of course when something doesn't work you have to be able to troubleshoot it (i.e., did I plug in the power switch pin header correctly? Is there a BIOS setting wrong? etc).

All of which can be fixed by the magic of Google search.

Lol, if you think that anyone can simply build a computer and not run into any problems without doing a fair amount of research and preparation you are crazy.

I agree, anyone CAN do it, but it's not quite that simple.

Lol, if you think that anyone can simply build a computer and not run into any problems without doing a fair amount of research and preparation you are crazy.

I agree, anyone CAN do it, but it's not quite that simple.

Heh, I was 8 when I built my first PC. I remember not plugging in a SATA cable all the way in. Had a cousin come over and show me the ropes.

Now you have Google. If I was 8 and could do it, why can't a grown ass man do it, especially with the crap ton of info out there on the web?

My cousin basically wanted to teach me how to build a PC. He bought the parts, and all he did was tell me which part went where. You can do the same by watching a video while your building the PC.

Edited by Titanic3

Heh, I was 8 when I built my first PC. I remember not plugging in a SATA cable all the way in. Had a cousin come over and show me the ropes.

Now you have Google. If I was 8 and could do it, why can't a grown ass man do it, especially with the crap ton of info out there on the web?

My cousin basically wanted to teach me how to build a PC. He bought the parts, and all he did was tell me which part went where. You can do the same by watching a video while your building the PC.

Apparently English isn't your strong point, so I'll slow it down for you.

As I've stated now multiple times, anyone CAN build a computer (like you, my first build was as a kid).

But if you are not willing to properly prepare, research, pick your parts well, and be willing to troubleshoot anything you screw up and fix it, building computers probably isn't for you.

Now I expect you will once again quote this and provide a "counter-argument" that is actually saying the same thing and agreeing with me anyways.

once you get your new desktop, just get a decent graphics card and make sure your power supply can support it. :)

Edited by CaptainBingo

Its not rocket science...

Hardest part is really pick the parts that goest to gether, but its fairly simple too nowdays...

What comes to build you really cant mes it up, connectors, ram sticks etc are made so that you cannot put them wrong way in... or sure you can if you force them in... using your brain is adviced, no one cant be that stupid..

Start from the case and motherboard(ATX,mATX which are the case sizes/standards), what connectors(usb,optical audio etc) do you need and I prefer to pick once with latest cpu sockets (am3+, yes Im amd guy), then look for a manufacturers site for memory and CPU list, there you can see what family of CPUs are supported and what RAMS are supported.

EX: ASUS has RAM list where are listed differend memory modules by SPEED, you can find direct part number from the list and buy those and they will work.

Note here 1600 vs 1800mhz ram speed, it doesnt make a difference... speed is duplex so 1600 is 800mhz in AND 800mhz out, so 1800mhz ram is only 100mhz faster in direction and you wont notice the difference... buy the cheaper one.

Then just pickup GPU for the socket that you have on your MOBO, pci-e 16x 2.0/3.0... 3.0 GPU:s will work in earlier sockets, just with slower speed. Picking up GPU is IMO the hardest of the components, cuz there are so huge variety and pricing that can fool you, just google stats and review of the interesting units in your price range!

Then choose a PSU 500-1000w will do FINE to come and have a little headroom Its fun to see ppl buying 1000-1500w PSUs when under 500 would do just fine and its the +12V line that matters nowdays most... Just make sure that PSU has the right connectors for the MOBO and GPU, check the product info!

Tough these have become so that the mainstream brand PSUs will have the standard connectors and there is adapters to cover lets say lack of one PCI-e 6x power connector if you happen to buy PSU that is one short..

And the GPU manufacturer rated PSU requirements are most of the time for the WHOLE rig for some reason(System psu requirement etc), not for the sigle card and even then they are hugely over stated most of the time. Sure you must count in all the hdd:s, dvd-drives... maybe the useless led blign fans and stuff.

I have more than 3 years old silverstone 500W PSU and still running fine... Rigs total power consumption is between 300-400W in max load from the mains..

I think this is 3th thread in 1-2 days about someones PC being capable of running the game...

Thank you for all the support! Last question, would this combo of CPU and GPU work for dayz? And would you recommend a GPU upgrade?

-AMD A8-5500 3.2 GHz -AMD Radeon HD 7560D 2.99 GB Dedicated

Edited by CheesyHotDogPuff