Sign in to follow this  
shokaloop

First time Dayz player. Have a question or 2

HI there. I've recently heard quit a bit about this Dayz mod for Arma 2 and after looking up countless youtube videos and reviews I must say I am impressed by the way this game looks!

My first question is once I have Arma 2 downloaded (the $30 one from steam) all I have to do is download Dayz mod from this website? Then I can start playing?

I've read that Dayz might become its own stand alone game. Is there any word of when this might happen? I don't want to buy arma 2 to find out Dayz has moved on from it... So if the Dayz mod is going to be staying on arma 2 for longer then 6 months then I don't mind buying it after then. But if it becomes it own game within a month or 2 i'm really going to regret buying Arma 2.

How supported is the game from the developers? Is there frequent updates and game content being put in?

If there is any other info you think a noob should know please post it for me! I'd like to find out all the facts before diving into Dayz.

Dayz standalone is coming somewhere around christmas. And you need Operation Arrowhead along wth vanilla Arma 2 to play DayZ.

You can play this game with arma II free + operation arrowhead, I know that cause thats how I play this game, and OA is only $20

Edited by Ave

Yes the $30 combined operations plus dayz is all you need to play. There is a way to use the arma2 free version and just buy the expansion but in my opinion it's worth the extra $10 for the higher resolution graphics.

The standalone should be ready by Christmas at the latest according to the PCGamer interview. If it were me, I would probably wait for the stand alone version just because it will be more refined. The hacking has really gotten bad lately although the experience itself is still fun despite the headaches.

If you do decide to get it now, they said the mod is still going to be developed along side the standalone. Not to mention Arma2 is also a pretty fun sim itself.

You can get Arma 2 CO slightly cheaper direct from Bohemia and it's the same Steam dl. That's how I got it.

Yes the $30 combined operations plus dayz is all you need to play. There is a way to use the arma2 free version and just buy the expansion but in my opinion it's worth the extra $10 for the higher resolution graphics.

The standalone should be ready by Christmas at the latest according to the PCGamer interview. If it were me, I would probably wait for the stand alone version just because it will be more refined. The hacking has really gotten bad lately although the experience itself is still fun despite the headaches.

If you do decide to get it now, they said the mod is still going to be developed along side the standalone. Not to mention Arma2 is also a pretty fun sim itself.

Well that's good to know that they will still be updating the arma 2 mod along with the stand alone. Is there any word at all on how much the stand alone will cost?

The standalone will work similarly to how Minecraft was developed. It will be released in alpha around christmas time with a very low price tag and then will probably cost a little more with each update.