Bratalise

A way to help curb the amount of pointless murders by people.

The idea that killing and bringing your humanity down starts to make you go insane, or hallucinate, or just give you negative effects in general isn't a very good idea, really.

When you take a look at other games. Games that have good and evil, especially buffs or side effects from one of these alignments, it starts to dictate a players actions so they can follow certain paths. Rather then just doing what they would normally do if they were presented with the situation without knowing all the side effects beforehand.

On top of this, it starts to leave the realm of realism. The game is in an apocalyptic world and zombies are around, but that's the basis of this game. Making certain things too realistic kills gameplay, and adds annoyance. Making things too unrealistic has the same effect. Going insane/hallucination/suicide from killing is not in the direction of realism.

Also with the way the game is at the moment, people would most likely still kill until they commit suicide, and repeat the process since you die so often anyway, and nothing is too valuable with hackers/duping/saving tents for server restarts.

The point of this topic was about a way to stop pointless murders. So basically have a reason to not murder people, a reason to team up, a reason to survive together or co-exist.

First, I saw posts about making groups, and there being designated spots on a team. Like medic and scout and so on. But making the grouping aspect easier in the game itself. Something like visuals, or logs to show you. This is a good idea, it gives people more of a reason to team up purely because they can. Just like people kill just because they can, or dupe just because they can. As it is now, most people that do not group or team up do not do it, because they can't. They dont have friends or family who play, or any real way ingame to team up. So doing so is slightly difficult and out of the way.

Secondly, I do not know if someone posted this because I did not read all the posts. But adding something threatening to players... besides other players, would give people more of a reason to help each other or stick together or not murder.. what have you. For example, something like a zombie horde. Something difficult for one normal player to handle. So instead of blasting the dude in your building, you work together to survive. Or possibly incorporate a rarer, more dangerous zombie. Something to give people a reason to need someone else, or atleast like the idea of it at the time.

I do know the most dangerous aspect is supposed to be other people. But realistically it still would be, people would still be very dangerous. But it is a simple way to get rid of the annoyance of just killing for the hell of it, nothing better to do. Zombies at the present time are not at all dangerous or hard to deal with, they are just an annoyance.

Edited by Pandemia

That all might work if it was related mroe to people BEING ALONE FOR TOO LONG, not killing people. cause right now peoplekill people and nothing happens, but those in isolation do go mad from time to time.

The reverse of this is also true.

I think it's a great concept I've not seen discussed before...

I would be fine with humanity depleating over time as well, slowed by being around others and flat gains/drops based on helping/hurting others.

EX:

2 bandits muck about hill sniping n00bz around cherno like 1337 pr0z, but because they are constantly proximate to one another and occasionally help eachother with blood etc, they loose their humanity at a rate of 1*X.

2 survivors muck about cherno looking for supplies and getting the eff out of there like 1337 pr0z. Because they are constantly proximate to one another and occasionally help eachother with blood and every so often have to kill a hostile bandit, they loose their humanity at .75*X

A lone survivor hangs out in the extreme north, staying away from anyone and anything that moves. He hits a few barns and supermarkets to get buy, has a hidden tent in the woods, and is stocking up to repair some vehicles like a 1337 pr0. He occasionally has to kill a hostile he encounters, or bumps into a friendly and then gets the eff out of there to avoid a confrontation. Becuase he is almost never proximate to other players, rarely gives/recieves help, and occasionally kills an enemy on top of that, his humanity is lost at 1.25*X

In order to restore humanity (other than killing zombies and blood transfusions), add in a "pills" item. Without these pills, once a player reaches 0 hummanity, they start to shake in the same manner that one experiences when needing pain killers.

(yes, I know 0 humanity is an unrealistic number at this time, but humanity scores and things that effect them can be tweaked, as can the hummanity floor... shut up.)

Thoughts?

So avoid the two biggest cities in the game? How is that fair at all the point of the survival game isnt to be sniped every time you walk into the cities it's to survive maybe get killed by a person but not sniped by a british 50 caliber gun you fucking cunt face. People kill themselves all the time until their spawn is either cherno or electro why in the hell is it fair for some dickweed to sit atop a buidling 100 meters high out of range of a pistol or whatever gun you happen to find while spawning in. You want a pro tip go fuck yourself with a pineapple.

Where do I start... In real life people WILL camp on top of a building and they won't feel bad, never mind cut their own wrists when they blow your face off. The M1911 has an effective range of 75m. So please do me a favor. Stop bitching, be careful and don't let snipers see you. Grab a gun as simple as a lee enfield (effective range of 400m) or an AKM (400m) and shoot them in the head. There is no building in Cherno or Elektro that can watch over ever street, alley, and building in the town. So just don't play stupid. I have been playing DayZ since the beginning and have NEVER been sniped by a high power rifle in Cherno or Elektro, all because I play carefully. Try it sometime. I feel it's people like you that try to ruin DayZ and the good game it is.

P.S. If someone who DOES go crazy from shooting someone, simply giving someone a bandaid isn't going to magically make them go back to a healthy mental state.

Not to bash your comment, but the thread is called

"A way to help curb the amount of pointless murders by people."

Why not help by giving an alternate solution like others have, instead of just going off on the guy for trying to come up with a solution.

When I say "you" I refer to those who whine, not you specifically curtis.

I know but I hear too much of this "Make all bandits too stupid to handle a pencil" bullshit. Instead of saying that everyone who isnt hugging in the middle of a PvP area must be stupid, crazy, or stupid and crazy, perhaps someone can suggest something useful for once. Perhaps if grouping had more benefit other that more intimidation against bandits, or better yet, actually do that instead of going solo. I sure as hell wouldnt engage a group of 5+ under any circumstance, and even if I were to, they would all immediately DC. Boo hoo, you play on the coast and get shot at and might lose your bandage and a painkiller, better DC. Thats a more pressing and game breaking problem than the killing of fresh spawns. Tell me how thats game breaking at all in fact. The only time people are going to be killed by players is when they are on the coast or at the NW airfield, the most contested part of the map. Pretty crazy thinking people would fight over the best looting area, isnt it? I hope you dont think that. The DCing problem on the other hand (That these whiners do every time they see someone with so much as a crowbar), breaks an entire play style. The "random" killing problem only affects those with bandages, oh drat, a single bandage. Its mind boggling that people actually see a problem that there is fighting in a shooting/tactics base game. Or perhaps is these whiners did something besides sing and dance around a barrel fire in cherno/elektro/etc, they wouldnt whine about being shot for being painfully stupid, because that appears where all these complaints stem from.

TL;DR

Instead of whining every damn day about you being stupid, try learning to play the game. Travel in groups, dont stay on the coast or stand in the middle of a damn airfield, and be smart. Its simple. There is no problem with "pointless" murders in this game, as every one of them is caused by the "victim" being stupid, the killer feeling unsafe of your location (Close to his base or close to him) or the killer wanting your items. There is a point.

Edited by Degtyarev

better idea would be going insane after a while.

But it would just be fore killing user who have yet to even pick up a weapon.

Killing like 10 unarmed noobs could make a user go nuts giving them a harder dayz life.

They would start seeing none real users with good guns aiming at them or following them.

The idea being they would think "crap ! BANG BANG" they shoot them and everyone now knows where the bandit is while no one had to die.

It waists aim and makes shit hard for a player killer who picks on unarmed users.

This could carry over to people snipping guys with just a crap axe or pistol.

The idea that killing and bringing your humanity down starts to make you go insane, or hallucinate, or just give you negative effects in general isn't a very good idea, really.

When you take a look at other games. Games that have good and evil, especially buffs or side effects from one of these alignments, it starts to dictate a players actions so they can follow certain paths. Rather then just doing what they would normally do if they were presented with the situation without knowing all the side effects beforehand.

On top of this, it starts to leave the realm of realism. The game is in an apocalyptic world and zombies are around, but that's the basis of this game. Making certain things too realistic kills gameplay, and adds annoyance. Making things too unrealistic has the same effect. Going insane/hallucination/suicide from killing is not in the direction of realism.

Also with the way the game is at the moment, people would most likely still kill until they commit suicide, and repeat the process since you die so often anyway, and nothing is too valuable with hackers/duping/saving tents for server restarts.

The point of this topic was about a way to stop pointless murders. So basically have a reason to not murder people, a reason to team up, a reason to survive together or co-exist.

First, I saw posts about making groups, and there being designated spots on a team. Like medic and scout and so on. But making the grouping aspect easier in the game itself. Something like visuals, or logs to show you. This is a good idea, it gives people more of a reason to team up purely because they can. Just like people kill just because they can, or dupe just because they can. As it is now, most people that do not group or team up do not do it, because they can't. They dont have friends or family who play, or any real way ingame to team up. So doing so is slightly difficult and out of the way.

Secondly, I do not know if someone posted this because I did not read all the posts. But adding something threatening to players... besides other players, would give people more of a reason to help each other or stick together or not murder.. what have you. For example, something like a zombie horde. Something difficult for one normal player to handle. So instead of blasting the dude in your building, you work together to survive. Or possibly incorporate a rarer, more dangerous zombie. Something to give people a reason to need someone else, or atleast like the idea of it at the time.

I do know the most dangerous aspect is supposed to be other people. But realistically it still would be, people would still be very dangerous. But it is a simple way to get rid of the annoyance of just killing for the hell of it, nothing better to do. Zombies at the present time are not at all dangerous or hard to deal with, they are just an annoyance.

I agree with a lot that you say but smacking down his 'hallucinations' idea because it lack realism is also somewhat silly. This is a game to be played and to have fun with, freedom but there still needs to be mechanics to the game. If we wanted ultra realism, we'd go and do our tax returns for kicks.

Fact is, because we respawn after death, its not realistic, because we are primarily anonymous, its not realistic. And these two things are the main reason griefing campers exist. Yes, they would probably exist in real life in an apocalypse scenario, but not nearly to the extent we see in DayZ and there would be big repercussions for people who kill people.

People in real life would rarely if ever simply kill somebody and not bother to loot their body, and if they did, they would be borderline insane, hence hallucinations mechanic.

Personally rather than hallucinations I advocated that a person with very low humanity 'goes mad' and instead starts seeing random zombies as players and conversely players as zombies, to greater and greater degree...or players where there are not players, etc.... it still allows players who want to lone wolf to do their thing and shoot everything that moves if they choose, but there is a realistic counter to this behavior.

And yes there needs to be more of a mechanic to 'team up with strangers' - this might mean more dangerous zombies (and more zombies) and also zombies that can randomly be walking through bush areas to keep players on notice.

I also think the following game changes need to be made:

1 - High quality weapons in general (especially sniper rifles) are far rarer if not available at all and do less damage generally. Most 'teir 1' weapons should not be in the game. Most players should be fighting with each other using farm rifles, shotguns, pistols, etc. Military grade hardware should be limited to weak silenced weapons, and miltary bases etc, could instead be contain more explosives . Explosives should be used more often in the game, setting up ingenious traps or other things to lure and smash zombies (given some type of luring item for zombies, maybe a 'blood' item), or players (tents, etc) if used right. I think they would be fun, but are hardly used at the moment.

2 - If you friend people (perhaps by hanging around together for a set length of time), you get the ability of being able to spawn near them next time you die (once until re-friend), or set up a camp that you can choose to spawn at. Or also other benefits might include continuing increased humanity, quicker more effective applying of bandages and other 'necessity' tasks, etc. Basically there needs to be more inherent 'reward' if you choose to co-operate. Not necessarily a punishment for not co-operating (that would remain the same).

3 - A 'revenge' mechanic is put into the game. Murdered players get to know who murdered them (regardless of changing username) hence removing the "anonymity factor" of the game, and an general indicator for players to see who other players are within 50m (or if using binoculars if the 'view' is 50m distance when zoomed). Humanity for revenge kills is not affected, and the 'revenge' is completed when the murderer is killed (i.e. the original murderer doesn't then get revenge in a cycle).

4 - An "end game" that requires co-operation to complete over a large time frame (say a month before server reset) (many have been discussed, cure, overrunning by zombies, killing of all the zombies, rebuilding of the map, etc etc)

I could go on, but that will do.

Edited by Magnum1978

God I hate it that when somebody makes a suggestion and a massive amount of shitheads who feel they are mean l33t killing machines and this game is ''hardcore'' call you noob and l2p.

Back on topic, I like the idea. That humanity does something more than add a skin. Sucide is a bit extreme but that zombies would get more easily get attracted to you and/or would spawn more closely at your position.

I agree with a lot that you say but smacking down his 'hallucinations' idea because it lack realism is also somewhat silly. This is a game to be played and to have fun with, freedom but there still needs to be mechanics to the game. If we wanted ultra realism, we'd go and do our tax returns for kicks.

Fact is, because we respawn after death, its not realistic, because we are primarily anonymous, its not realistic. And these two things are the main reason griefing campers exist. Yes, they would probably exist in real life in an apocalypse scenario, but not nearly to the extent we see in DayZ and there would be big repercussions for people who kill people.

People in real life would rarely if ever simply kill somebody and not bother to loot their body, and if they did, they would be borderline insane, hence hallucinations mechanic.

Personally rather than hallucinations I advocated that a person with very low humanity 'goes mad' and instead starts seeing random zombies as players and conversely players as zombies, to greater and greater degree...or players where there are not players, etc.... it still allows players who want to lone wolf to do their thing and shoot everything that moves if they choose, but there is a realistic counter to this behavior.

And yes there needs to be more of a mechanic to 'team up with strangers' - this might mean more dangerous zombies (and more zombies) and also zombies that can randomly be walking through bush areas to keep players on notice.

I also think the following game changes need to be made:

1 - High quality weapons in general (especially sniper rifles) are far rarer if not available at all and do less damage generally. Most 'teir 1' weapons should not be in the game. Most players should be fighting with each other using farm rifles, shotguns, pistols, etc. Military grade hardware should be limited to weak silenced weapons, and miltary bases etc, could instead be contain more explosives . Explosives should be used more often in the game, setting up ingenious traps or other things to lure and smash zombies (given some type of luring item for zombies, maybe a 'blood' item), or players (tents, etc) if used right. I think they would be fun, but are hardly used at the moment.

2 - If you friend people (perhaps by hanging around together for a set length of time), you get the ability of being able to spawn near them next time you die (once until re-friend), or set up a camp that you can choose to spawn at. Or also other benefits might include continuing increased humanity, quicker more effective applying of bandages and other 'necessity' tasks, etc. Basically there needs to be more inherent 'reward' if you choose to co-operate. Not necessarily a punishment for not co-operating (that would remain the same).

3 - A 'revenge' mechanic is put into the game. Murdered players get to know who murdered them (regardless of changing username) hence removing the "anonymity factor" of the game, and an general indicator for players to see who other players are within 50m (or if using binoculars if the 'view' is 50m distance when zoomed). Humanity for revenge kills is not affected, and the 'revenge' is completed when the murderer is killed (i.e. the original murderer doesn't then get revenge in a cycle).

4 - An "end game" that requires co-operation to complete over a large time frame (say a month before server reset) (many have been discussed, cure, overrunning by zombies, killing of all the zombies, rebuilding of the map, etc etc)

I could go on, but that will do.

You are right, it is a game to be played and have fun with. I'm not merely trying to smack down his idea because I don't like it. The game though, is highly realistic, and that is the way it is intended to be. For obvious reasons it cannot be completely realistic. Otherwise once you die you'd never be able to play again, or you'd break a bone and that's endgame for you. (really dying and starting over is the best way for this. so technically you can be starting a new game like you did the first time) But like I said, you start making things too realistic and it gets less fun and more annoying, like taxes... same thing goes for unrealistic.

Also, people do not bother to loot bodies in this game because everything is much less valuable than it should be. Mostly due to duping/hackers/glitches that give so many ways around things. You can have 1 drink and 1 food in your inventory and use the same two forever without ever needing more. No need to loot a body. You can dupe a hacked weapon 300 times and save it in multiple tents. That is the reason for most of that.

In real life, in a world such as this, there would absolutely be bandits and groups of people trying to murder and take everything for themselves. But to a lesser extent than in the game right now. Right now groups or soloers just kill because its all there is to do and there is no reason to care. I know many people who have a full set of gear before they go killing, they dupe their body so that if they die, they run to it and regear and start over like that. I've had a hacker pop up near me and asked me my favorite guns and spawned them all near me. There is no value in the game at the moment.

So that's why I said adding something that leaves the realm of realism is sort of bad for this game. Since it is based of as much realism that it is able to. Adding buffs for becoming good is not realistic, same goes debuffs for being evil. Since in reality it isn't this way. There are also so many more factors in "good and evil" than just black and white.

Obviously as the world is now, this game is unrealistic with zombies. But like I said that is the basis of this game. Most things in play are pretty decent ways to keep things as real as possible without making it so real it becomes less fun. There just needs to be more implementation for better realism and more content for players to cooperate with each other. That would make things much better, as well as items re-obtaining the value they should have. Every server you go to you find snipers in hills with as50s and svd's with 10 stacks of ammo. Those guns should be extremely rare and precious, as well as the ammo not being worth shooting a newly spawned, no gear player, the bullet alone is worth more than anything they would probably hold.

When I say "you" I refer to those who whine, not you specifically curtis.

I know but I hear too much of this "Make all bandits too stupid to handle a pencil" bullshit. Instead of saying that everyone who isnt hugging in the middle of a PvP area must be stupid, crazy, or stupid and crazy, perhaps someone can suggest something useful for once. Perhaps if grouping had more benefit other that more intimidation against bandits, or better yet, actually do that instead of going solo. I sure as hell wouldnt engage a group of 5+ under any circumstance, and even if I were to, they would all immediately DC. Boo hoo, you play on the coast and get shot at and might lose your bandage and a painkiller, better DC. Thats a more pressing and game breaking problem than the killing of fresh spawns. Tell me how thats game breaking at all in fact. The only time people are going to be killed by players is when they are on the coast or at the NW airfield, the most contested part of the map. Pretty crazy thinking people would fight over the best looting area, isnt it? I hope you dont think that. The DCing problem on the other hand (That these whiners do every time they see someone with so much as a crowbar), breaks an entire play style. The "random" killing problem only affects those with bandages, oh drat, a single bandage. Its mind boggling that people actually see a problem that there is fighting in a shooting/tactics base game. Or perhaps is these whiners did something besides sing and dance around a barrel fire in cherno/elektro/etc, they wouldnt whine about being shot for being painfully stupid, because that appears where all these complaints stem from.

TL;DR

Instead of whining every damn day about you being stupid, try learning to play the game. Travel in groups, dont stay on the coast or stand in the middle of a damn airfield, and be smart. Its simple. There is no problem with "pointless" murders in this game, as every one of them is caused by the "victim" being stupid, the killer feeling unsafe of your location (Close to his base or close to him) or the killer wanting your items. There is a point.

No I understand, I just see all to often people just bash someone and not even try to give an alternative, but i agree with the grouping up thing, I've been trying to do that in game, but everyone is too scard to even try, it seems, people see me and they D/C or attack me on sight, which I get. My biggest beef right now is how hard it is to try and group up in game. i suggested a group making system maybe, something to help people trust again lol.

Im sorry OP i don't support your sugesstions. You are simply saying that there should be a penalty over time for player killing.

That takes away from all of the fun; you call them sensless, I call them fun and hilarious.

Killing you is part of the game for me.

Lol.

Just lol.

That's like saying in an RTS if you build too fast your buildings should blow up.

Or in an MMORPG if you farm too much, you should be reverted to level 1.