nashable

Tractors and long term survival goals

Hi all,

Been playing DayZ for a few months now and I wanted to share an idea I had. Currently there are a few agricultural vehicles in the game such as the Tractor which offer very limited features in terms of mobility.

Thinking of more end-game ideas I would suggest implementing a plowing system for DayZ where players with the Tractor where players could mark out fresh fields. Then rare item spawns could be packets of seeds that players would need to collect and sow into these freshly plowed fields.

Then every 2-3 days players would have to log back into their server to harvest the crops, such as fruit, which they could use instead of other food options. Empty cans could be used to store the fruit/vegetables for later use. Like tents if a different player found the crops then they could in fact steal them creating other resources that could be fought over, perhaps lowering the spawn rate of tins of foods in general buildings (I mean honestly who likes baked beans anyway!)

Finally you could use the dogs that are going to be implemented in 1.7.3 to guard your crops. Even rarer drops could be seeds or cuttings mutated by the infection that created the zombie plague in the first place. This could result in special types of plants that could attack other players trying to steal your crops, or even have random events where waves of zombies attack your harvest and you and your dog/defense plants have to fight it off.

Finally the status of your personal crops could be linked to the website and even have the option for teams of players to work together to maintain an entire farm/field of crops, sharing updates via social media such as Facebook.

Thanks for reading!

I like this idea. Though, if you go this route you should have ranching as an alternative to. Maybe they can have ridable horses?

You can also have a pasture where you can raise cow, or sheep, maybe even boar? And you can use some crops from the fields to feed the livestock. Raise them for milk or meat, and then you can start stockpiling the supplies. Who's down for some Harvest Moon!

• Like 1

I find this acceptable. I will enjoy shooting your dog and eating all of your food.

Also, this will only be acceptable if burning crops is an option if we have a pack of matches or a flare. It wouldn't be fair if someone could just plant a field full of crops, log off, and have it all be untouchable until they get back. That's just nonsense.

So, yes on crops. And yes on salting the earth so nothing ever grows again.

Also, this will only be acceptable if burning crops is an option if we have a pack of matches or a flare. It wouldn't be fair if someone could just plant a field full of crops, log off, and have it all be untouchable until they get back. That's just nonsense.

So, yes on crops. And yes on salting the earth so nothing ever grows again.

If only there were buckets of water you could obtain to extinguish the fire with.

Sounds good.

Sounds good.

Did you mean Survivor? Cause that's a pretty easy fix.

I like your thinking, but first we need to fence off areas and create bases. once we can establish a home and reinforce it and protect ourselves from bandits and zombies, THEN we can start growing our food, but we'll still need to scout for supplies, yno, so we don't wind up playing the sims completely unaware of the problems outside the walls.

Is this a zombie survival game or farmville??? Good idea but not in line with what Rocket wants I believe. If they start implementing requests like these then where does it stop? manufacturing plants, constructions of homes etc..

As much as I honestly like the idea of more elaborate interaction with the world, I can already picture the incredible amount of server manipulation, metagaming, and automation that will be necessary to keep these camps running on a decently-sized map. Next thing you know there will be requests to make it so that no one can touch your stuff without your permission (much like the current responses to people looting camps).

I'm not against the idea. I would love to see something like this in action. I just see a disaster in logistics waiting to happen as people realize that DayZ is not a safe place to establish a home unless you can hide it from other players at will.

I see nothing wrong with this method of thinking, but your right. It has to end somewhere. But we have to have something to work towards. A point in the game that you feel a little safer. Living day by day is fun but it feels pointless unless your working towards something.

I want to reclaim an entire town and establish a small colony. Teams get sent on scavenging missions, while others stay home defending the town. It makes sense, but there needs to still be a struggle.

Ideally in a zombie apocalypse you want to find a haven where you can thrive. Somewhere that has a guarantee of food and water. The rebuilding of society in some sort of sense. "What rocket wants..." then what the hell is the point of a suggestions area? I doubt the devs ever read any of the stuff here...

Ideally in a zombie apocalypse you want to find a haven where you can thrive. Somewhere that has a guarantee of food and water. The rebuilding of society in some sort of sense. "What rocket wants..." then what the hell is the point of a suggestions area? I doubt the devs ever read any of the stuff here...

I know this is off-topic, but does you ingame name match your forum ID? Cause if so I was in a server with you last week and watched you die at least 12 times.

What I meant was Rockets vision. Not what rocket wants B) ... If you change the vision of the game and keep changing it then it becomes a cluster f%$k of different ideas that dont mesh.

The idea is good up until you mentioned zombie-mutated crops that attack players and zombies....

This is not Plants vs Zombies, it's Dayz.

Although overground farming may be introduced (and may be a good idea if made right), Rocket already said he thinks he might do hydroponics. This would be basically farming on a scaled down level and likely for underground bases.

Edited by Spart248