molly
, as in the
) is an
for
Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment
. It is used to define the current generation of load-bearing equipment and
utilized by the
, especially the
, and its use is also growing in the British Army in the form of the Osprey Modular systems. The system's modularity is derived from the use of
webbing, rows of heavy-duty nylon stitched onto the vest as to allow for attachment of various MOLLE-compatible pouches and accessories" -
Wikipedia

In DayZ we have MOLLE vests and backpacks already equipped. How about the possibility of using MOLLE gear to have additional inventory opportunities. Linked after this sentence is an example of how the vest can be used to equip various pouches/packs to give more room. http://www.rap4.com/..._Down_MOLLE.jpg

Some benefits are;

• Better customization of a players needs.
    • Can equip additional pistol holsters on vest to carry more handguns.
    • Can equip longarm holsters on backpack to carry additional rifles/shotguns.
    • Can choose to have additional pouches for ammo, food, medical supplies. All depending on what the player wants.

[*]Additional items added to the loot-table.

• All kinds of items will have to be found and added to the vest/backpack.
    • Pouches
    • Holsters
    • Canister rings
    • Grenade switches
    • Mounted flashlight

[*]Can act as a sign to other players what kind of player you are, but does not limit or suggest any type of general 'Role system'.

• If they have a ton of weapon holsters and round pouches; they could be hostile.
    • If they have medical pouches; could be a medic.
    • If they have various survival pouches; could just be a regular survivor.

Other threads have suggested this; this is merely expanding on their idea's. Anyone have thoughts or idea's on this?

*Added heads up; I'll link the threads with the idea's;

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/78858-chest-rigs/#entry746008

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/68364-tactical-vests-and-clothing-relating-to-inventory-space/page__hl__molle

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/57513-different-player-inventory-system/page__hl__molle

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50557-rockets-position-on-modularized-weapons-and-modular-kit-like-webbing-molles-and-haul-packs/page__hl__molle

Edited by navx2810
  • Like 12

I like this idea, maybe also allow the removal of the drop leg holster and change it to a drop leg platform that can be used for any MOLLE gear.

Or maybe the ability to change vests, I like instead of the plate carrier you could change out of it into a chest rig for added mobility.

Edited by Kija
  • Like 1

Dammit man two great posts...I know this is a "post apocalyptic survival type mod" BUT even then finding and utilizing dead soldiers gear aside from camo clothing, weapons and ghillies would make this a completely different game. Instead of having medical items taking up back pack space make it where you can locate or build a medical pouch that you can attach to your vest or backpack.

Also have a weight component built into the game where the player gets tired if he is trucking it across the map on foot carrying two primary weapons and a side arm plus a couple of hundred rounds of ammo, food, etc...

I know its a game but make it have some consequences for loading up with all kinds of gear.

Ha, thanks for expanding my idea.

Anyway, you really took this more in depth and I really like it!

dont we already have these... main inventory slots?

If we started with a very basic chest rig, like a 4-5 slot main inventory at spawn and had to find additional pouches in order to expand your inventory.

Like I said in my post, this could also include leg rigs for your pistol inventory.

dont we already have these... main inventory slots?

no, because It is not specific enough, on the plate carrier you have four dual mag pouches, thats eight mags. you also have an admin pouch. on one leg you have two single mag pouches, and on the other side you have a drop leg holster, with maybe one pistol mag pouch. so that is ten rifle mags, one in the weapon, one pistol mag, and one in the pistol. I want my gear to resemble what I am actually carrying.

Kit is a reflection of your personality, It will make the player more connected to his character. because you will have your kit setup how you would have it in real life.

I would have a chest rig or an H harness with a battle belt and drop down leg platforms on both sides with three dual mag pouches on both. I would go more in depth on my chestrig but I am lazy.

Edited by Kija

• If they have a ton of weapon holsters and round pouches; they could be hostile.
    • If they have medical pouches; could be a medic.
    • If they have various survival pouches; could just be a regular survivor.

Won't it just show other people what we could find not what we wanted to find?

Won't it just show other people what we could find not what we wanted to find?

Yep. It's really just how a player takes it at first glance. Everything's interpreted by them. Sometimes that's bad; You could have a grenade pouch and they'll assume you're a sniper.

Kit is a reflection of your personality, It will make the player more connected to his character. because you will have your kit setup how you would have it in real life.

Good call. Would definitely add to a user's connection of customization with their character.

Edited by navx2810

WjGJM.jpg

My rig

Left to right, Medical pouch, 2 double slot mag pouches (8 mags), utility pouch, utility pouch on the bib(top), seatbelt cutter on the right shoulder strap, there is a water proof lining for maps/paper/compass etc under all of the mag pouches built into the rig.

This would obviously be a lightweight combat role style rig.

I modified it to carry 249 SAW drums when i was a SAW gunner.

Edited by C0LDKILL
  • Like 1

This as well as an extended medical system with alternative treatment possibilities for different injuries(splint and morphine for broken bones, etc) and the separation of ammo(rounds) from mags/clips would make for a truly awesome DayZ standalone experience.

WjGJM.jpg

My rig

Left to right, Medical pouch, 2 double slot mag pouches (8 mags), utility pouch, utility pouch on the bib(top), seatbelt cutter on the right shoulder strap, there is a water proof lining for maps/paper/compass etc under all of the mag pouches built into the rig.

This would obviously be a lightweight combat role style rig.

I modified it to carry 249 SAW drums when i was a SAW gunner.

I have this same chest rig in OD

The current 12x8 inventory approximates this utility, seeing as very few ArmA2 units have the full capacity. And why can't I put a Pepsi into a mag pouch? Glowsticks won't fit in there? I'm surviving a zombie apocalypse, I'm not going to be worried about what kind of velcro pocket I'm stuffing my morphine injector into. If it has some kind of impact on my reload speed or whatever, then sure, but now we're talking about a revamp of the game's inventory that has a bigger impact on gameplay, and that's a whole can of worms.

As for starting with less inventory space, why would you do that to newbies? I use more inventory in the early game than later. Between the feeble backpack and my lack of a weapon, I'm usually carrying ammo for a few different kinds of guns, hedging my bets on what I'll find first. I've also got tin cans for distracting the zombies I can't kill yet and a couple drink or food items.

I understand the appeal of having a dress-up element for character customization. Everyone likes to look their part, and if you can be decorated by the decisions you make, then it serves the causes of practicality, vanity and intel at the same time.

The inventory could definitely use a revamp, though. It's silly that I can fit eight ghillie suits in my scout pack but only one makarov. Purpose-built pouches could go a long way to making this work, but it will take a lot of testing and work to hammer out the details.

As for starting with less inventory space, why would you do that to newbies?

I can see you are an advocate for making the game easier for fresh spawns. Shall we just give everybody a starting weapon too?

This idea is only acceptable when the weight system is introduced. It's impossible to have a primary, secondary weapons, pack, tools, main inventory and pouches on you. IRL you will run 200 meters and collapse.

I can see you are an advocate for making the game easier for fresh spawns. Shall we just give everybody a starting weapon too?

Thanks for latching onto the least salient throw-away sentence in my post. You want me to expand on that? Okay.

First of all, a distinction should be made between making it easier and refraining from making it harder. I hope you can grasp that, or else I'm wasting my time with this post. Having modular inventory slots that are collected or hoarded later in the game will bring no challenge to advanced players who have them, since their game will be either the same or easier than it is right now.

Reducing starting inventory will make the game substantially more difficult in the early stages, which is the only time it's difficult to begin with. It's the only time anyone really gets killed by zombies, the only time they need to use flares or smoke grenades or tin cans, and the only time that they don't have at least an ALICE pack on. Knocking them from 20 inventory slots to 4 or 5 would be crippling.

What's more, it would make military spawns as crucial as hospitals and supermarkets as chores to do after respawning and before heading north, since you'll need a good pack, some morphine and a full complement of MOLLE pouches before you head out, and that means a steady stream of sniper meat jogging through the Balota hangars and kneeling stationary in the big windows of fire stations.

Edited by Beez

Thanks for latching onto the least salient throw-away sentence in my post. You want me to expand on that? Okay.

First of all, a distinction should be made between making it easier and refraining from making it harder. I hope you can grasp that, or else I'm wasting my time with this post. Having modular inventory slots that are collected or hoarded later in the game will bring no challenge to advanced players who have them, since their game will be either the same or easier than it is right now.

Reducing starting inventory will make the game substantially more difficult in the early stages, which is the only time it's difficult to begin with. It's the only time anyone really gets killed by zombies, the only time they need to use flares or smoke grenades or tin cans, and the only time that they don't have at least an ALICE pack on. Knocking them from 20 inventory slots to 4 or 5 would be crippling.

What's more, it would make military spawns as crucial as hospitals and supermarkets as chores to do after respawning and before heading north, since you'll need a good pack, some morphine and a full complement of MOLLE pouches before you head out, and that means a steady stream of sniper meat jogging through the Balota hangars and kneeling stationary in the big windows of fire stations.

I don't see why making the game a small amount harder would be such a problem. Considering how easy it is to get an Alice pack, which so happens to be the 2nd best backpack in the game. Also how zombies are more of an annoyance than any real threat. I can't even remember the last time a zombie killed me.

Do you really need a military spawn to get a backpack?

Put the chest rigs and accessories in spawn points just the same way they do backpacks and there shouldn't be much of an increase in difficulty. Hell, increase the number of starting inventory slots, its not like I said 5 and that's final or else. As for those pesky veteran players, I don't know how it could make the game easier. There would obviously still be an inventory cap. It's not like their inventory will be unlimited because its made with MOLLE.

There are so many ways to implement this kind of feature in the game and to just take a couple ideas that people have suggested in this thread and scrap the whole idea is just dumb.

I think it would be a neat feature that can bring a whole new level of customization and difficulty to the game WITHOUT making it too difficult.

My big fear is that I'll find myself in a position where I find a blood bag and I have four empty magazine pouches and two empty grenade pouches and an empty map pouch, but I have to leave the blood behind because my only medical pouch is filled up with painkillers. If it doesn't matter, and the pouches are just slot upgrades for the inventory, then the idea of customization flies right out the window except as a dress-up doll minigame, which could just as easily be played during some new kind of character creation. If it does matter, then the absurd scenario I described above becomes possible. Either way, the costs seem to clearly outweigh the benefits.

I'm not enthusiastic about it. Fundamentally, it makes an already clunky UI even more awkward, and the return we'll enjoy is some fun character customization and nonsense restrictions on which pockets can hold bandages and which pockets can hold magazines. The MOLLE rig is for convenience, security, comfort and accessibility. We have all that already, thanks to this being a video game. Making us play a minigame that builds walls between us and the stuff we find will be making us have less fun in order to have less fun. Just like we don't have to zip the fly on the camo clothing or pull the tab on the Pepsi, we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to put a smoke grenade into a pocket and take it out again.

Edited by Beez

My big fear is that I'll find myself in a position where I find a blood bag and I have four empty magazine pouches and two empty grenade pouches and an empty map pouch, but I have to leave the blood behind because my only medical pouch is filled up with painkillers. If it doesn't matter, and the pouches are just slot upgrades for the inventory, then the idea of customization flies right out the window except as a dress-up doll minigame, which could just as easily be played during some new kind of character creation. If it does matter, then the absurd scenario I described above becomes possible. Either way, the costs seem to clearly outweigh the benefits.

I'm not enthusiastic about it. Fundamentally, it makes an already clunky UI even more awkward, and the return we'll enjoy is some fun character customization and nonsense restrictions on which pockets can hold bandages and which pockets can hold magazines. The MOLLE rig is for convenience, security, comfort and accessibility. We have all that already, thanks to this being a video game. Making us play a minigame that builds walls between us and the stuff we find will be making us have less fun in order to have less fun. Just like we don't have to zip the fly on the camo clothing or pull the tab on the Pepsi, we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to put a smoke grenade into a pocket and take it out again.

What you carry on your "MOLLE" inventory and your backpack inventory are two different things. Sure you may have extra medical slots on you because you found a medical inventory slot but it shouldn't keep you from using the bloodbag by exchanging stuff. You have to account for things you need to drop and things you need to pickup as you go. That's survival, man. Or else we'd all drive around big rigs and carry everything we own all the time.

Edited by rockstarG

Check out my post called gear on player models, alot of the same ideas, and some that adress issues with having containers for specific item types.

I dont think inventory changes need to be limited to molle chest rigs, civilian modular rail packs can be heavily customized, and there are all those items that some how magically fit ob your belt, this neefs to be addressed in any new inventory system.