Dembc

Banned from US 6 Portland

Ingame name: Cass

I'm currently banned from the US 6 Portland server and I can't really understand why a ban was necessary.

Admin's reason to ban: PvP disconnecting

My story: I was running around trying to figure out where I was since my friend was going to pick me up with his car. I saw a guy shooting at some kind of animal and i thought it was a good idea to kill him. I was very far away and i missed both my shots. I followed him for 1 minute but then decided to run the other way. I was in the middle of a field when I heard that someone was calling me on skype and I quit the game. When I was done I logged onto the same server and was met by the Admin typing something like, "Cass, you didn't just PvP disconnect did you?" and I started answering him and we had a discussion but he didn't seem to believe my story. In the middle of the discussion he just kicked me and now I seem to be banned.

Appeal: I don't think a one time event justifies a full time ban, especially since I didn't understand that someone was shooting at me, since I was playing without Arma sound.

Why the hell would you play arma without sound?

Thats like going into a military zone in real life, deaf.

Sound is the most important thing in arma, and i honestly cant beleive people would play dayz without it.

nevertheless, you need to post some kind of proof or get into contact with the person who banned you.

Also, skype doesnt magically disco you from arma, if anything, it minimizes.

Ok, so I have to prove myself innocent? I thought it was the other way around? And, if someone is calling you on skype, I believe that you disconnect before answering?

Anyways, I think it's quite stupid to ban someone if its not an obvious pvp disconnect just because it could've been one?

I have to agree - it should be easy for the server admins to provide logs for the supposed attack. Don't see why a player has to prove themselves innocent. Do "you" expect players to record every second of gameplay?

That being said - why the hell are you playing a SURVIVAL game with no sound?

It's not like I play with no sound most of the time, I was just getting picked up by a friend who was going to drive me to our camp and I did not bother shutting the game down in order to have the in-game sound in my headphones

Pulling up logs? Whats a "So and so" Disconnected going to prove? Skype calls minimize games, it doesnt quit them out. Playing without sound whilest not a crime lead to this mishap.

You need to talk to the admin of the server.

The thing is, the admin is probably the one who was shooting at me or a friend to one of the guys shooting at me since he knew about the event about 5 minutes after it occured and didn't believe my explanation.

Pulling up logs? Whats a "So and so" Disconnected going to prove?

I was referring to damage logs (if such are even available to the hosts - I don't host a DayZ server so what do I know)

My point exactly - there is entirely too much "Trust me - I saw X do Y". Rocket already announced he would implement an automatic combat log(off) mechanic. I can only imagine it means your body stays ingame for a short while after you log off.

There are no default "damage logs" in arma. It's not something that has really been required as it serves no real purpose.

No real purpose aside from being the only dependable counterproof with all the vigilante banning going on at the moment you mean? heh

it has almost 0 use outside of dayz. So yes, my point stands. Besides, half of the people who disconnect will do-so even if they are not directly hit, then what purpose does it serve?

At the end of the day it's a dayz only issue so should be address where possible by dayz, rather than wasting BI resources on something that isn't that useful. At least with the other recent dayz related fixes they have benifited the whole community.

Now you're going off track - you discussing whether such a feature should be developed. I am arguing that there is no way of proving combat logging, and that admins are entirely too vigilante about the issue.

hmm ok, let it say this way. You´re right, when we´re speaking bout the typical gameservers like CS 1.6, CS Source, CoD, BF3 .. etc.

... but there are rules here for Dayz servers said by the devs team. So i think it´s a bit different.

- Their are only two reasons why you, as a server owner, should ban a player on your server. Those two reasons are: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc.

Any changes?

the burden of proof is on you if you are the one that is banned

Wrong. The burden of proof is on the one who did the banning. How do you expect someone who is doing absolutely nothing wrong (allegedly) to proof their innocence? Do they have logs? Do they have constant streaming video? IN most cases, there is NOTHING available to the one who is banned. If the admin can prove that there is reason for the ban, THEN its up to the alleged wrongdoer to prove why the admin is wrong.

Anyways, anyone who knows the owner of the server or how I can get in contact with him?

Who cares, just play on another server, they are plenty of them.

Ye if I were alone I wouldn't care but all the vehicles and my friends are currently playing on Portland. Going to take a pause for a couple of days and see if they are up for swapping server.

the burden of proof is on you if you are the one that is banned

I have a serious problem with this.

I've been trying to clear up my own ban for a while now. I've done nothing wrong. Some admin put me on the BattlEye global ban list for setting map markers, an in-game mechanic. An Arma 2 Feature. Not even waypoints, just basic X shaped markers on the map. I can't get into most servers, and it makes playing with my friends very difficult.

How is the burden of proof on the accused, if they didn't actually break any rules?

"Here's a screenshot of me not using a hack"

"Oh, see this video? I can see a ricochet a few feet from me, but here's my skype call log that shows that my Mom was calling."

I've been in situations where I nearly logged off because combat can take a while. DayZ is great, but if I decided to quickly loot a castle before heading out, and it turned into a long standoff, I might log out just because I needed to be somewhere in real life.

Should I get banned because the person on the other side of the wall wanted another fucking murder and a couple cans of beans? It's absurd.

/rant

The admin (or one of them?) for Portland is [PBE] app0815.

Which is funny, because we've seen him, his clan, and their friends in [A++] clan log off and back on in combat during two separate firefights.

Is it seriously app0815? If that's the case I have a video that shows one of his clan mates disconnecting during a fight.