There's already a "Check Pulse" function in the game, so why not take it a little further and introduce the ability to play dead? This could be used in a limited fashion to stop Zeds chasing you, makes players think that they've killed you when it wasn't entirely clear if they hit you, and it would have people think twice before just running up to a corpse to raid their stuff as that corpse might just get back up and start shooting back.

When you're playing dead your body will assume the 'dead' position, cause the flies to hover around you. Your body becomes lootable to anyone who passes by, so you can lose your stuff but walk away with your life.

Zeds will stop chasing you, but investigate your body before wandering off. And if a player comes up to your corpse they could check your pulse to see if you're alive or just faking it.

Of course there has to be some downside to this so people don't stop faking it all over the place. Playing dead should cost something to do it, and add risks. Some suggestions:

-- Time: Have Play Day force the unconscious timer for 3 to 5 minutes. You can't get yourself up during this time but an Epi-pen would still work to get you up. At the end of the timer, you 'wake up' and stand back up, regardless of what is around you when that happens.

-- Blood: It could cause blood loss to do it, perhaps between 1500-2000. This would stop people dropping like flies, or they do just that.

-- Chance to break bones/bleed out/infection: Falling prone in a hurry could have a chance of causing injury. Especially if you're not entirely sure what you've just fallen onto. You could break bones, or fall on a rock or piece of rusty pipe...

-- Chance of failure: This should be included anyway, so it isn't just a get-out-of-jail-free card when it comes to Zeds. They've clearly got some sixth sense when it comes to seeing you through buildings, phasing through brick walls and floating through floors, so they should be smart enough to have a chance of knowing that you're still fresh :D 10-15% chance failure rate vs Zeds, increasing by 2% for each Zed chasing you and sniffing around your 'corpse'.

This can easily be seen as an easy way out of PvP, but think about it for a second. If you're in a close quarters fire fight you're likely to be pumped full of bullets that you'd be dead before thinking about it.

Mid-range you can run off around a corner, bandage yourself up and play dead, likely to be double tapped when your shooter reaches you.

But long range? It's perfectly feasible if you've had a close call to make your assailant think that they've killed you, and that's assuming they're not going to fill you with another round just to make sure.

Or if you've seen someone approach you, but they haven't seen you but taking them out or escape really isn't an option, I would rather have an option for them to take my gun and pack and leave my 'corpse' alone than to respawn on the coast.

Since all people usually want is your stuff and you can't easily surrender what you have equipped without an elaborate game of inventory tetris or the risk of it despawning, it seems like a good way to do it.

They should just add a item like a jar of flies or something. Make it throwable hits and makes the sound of flies for one minute or something.maybe make it a dirty diaper lol.

Its an interesting idea but it breaks down because people will definitively abuse it.

Hence the point of tagging a big downside along with it, so it doesn't get abused. Those were just some suggestions, not the only options.

I really like this "playing dead" idea, could actually become a tactic, but i suppose people would juts shoot all corpses by default once it's a known feature.

Loving this idea, but the 'Time', 'Blood', and 'Chance to break bones/bleed out/infection' penalties are unneeded. The chance that it could fail and a double tap are penalties enough. A 'getting up' animation would be necessary as well, so people who are playing dead just can't pop up immediately and shoot someone.

I like the idea, and I also don't see the need for any penalty: Zombies are going to eat you even after you're dead, as long as you're fresh. So it'd be near useless against them, but it's a great way to throw off other player. If you're not careful to put on in the head of someone you've just dropped, then that's your own damn fault.