Donkey (DayZ)

We've got it too easy

- Make the zombies slower' date=' more like the ones in The Walking Dead (a little bit faster probably).

- When you have slower zombies make them spawn more and in, as stated earlier, hordes.

- Hordes of 100+ zombies will slowly drift to the areas where the shots have been fired. And when you are spotted they will speed up a bit, but not much.

- When a horde approaches you should feel surrounded. If you are in the middle of a city you will go hide and do your best to survive. And since you have more time to get AWAY before the zombies approach you it should be WAY harder to actually get away from them once they are near. You will get hundreds of zombies coming in from all directions.

- For you people who have seen The Walking Dead should know what i mean. Picture yourself the scene where Rick is in the tank and sees no way out. From above you see that he is surrounded by zombies everywhere, and also there are hordes drifting from other places in the city. Here is a picture: http://myspideysenseistingling.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/zombies-converge-on-tank.jpg

If i could have found a more zoomed out picture you would see hordes of zombies all around the city slowly drifting to the area where gunshots had been fired.

[/quote']

As I think this is ideal, Rocket already stated he wants the Infected 28 Days Later sorta feel to this game. Although I completely agree.

Realize it's the "hardcore" whining about nighttime/zombies because it puts something between them and killing people.

Using flares at night time paints a huge target on your back. If anything night time makes it easier to find idiots. The reason people complain about night time is because there is this huge flux of players server hopping to get to daytime servers. Often times they play on foreign servers and lag everyone with 300ms ping -- maybe the appropriate solution is to fix the netcode so one idiot with 300 ping doesn't screw everyone.

The people who complained about too many zombies were the same people crying that they were too fast. AKA PvE types who can't deal. They should remain fast, AND there should be randomly spawned hordes as opposed to "spawn 20 zombies in city if a player approaches."

Then simply add two modes of aggro. An *extremely* long range aggro based on sound (which sets their "wandering" direction) and a short range aggro based on sound and sight which is the frenzied aggro we have today.

Personally I'd love to see more zombies, and more dangerous zombies, and especially have them go faster than they currently do indoors- but I'd also very much like to see them move directly towards the player, instead of the weird tangential spasms they currently perform.

I'd rather die to fifty zombies coming straight at me faster than I can line up and shoot them down, than to five zombies that imitate MC Hammer at 20mph and are impossible to hit.

roaming hordes in the forest would make it ultra brutal (in a great way)

At the moment, the forest feels like a refuge from the zombies.. which is fine with me, but roaming hordes of various sizes, endlessly roaming the wilderness without a cause, just makes it that bit more scary.

Do you understand what you're saying about the zombies? There needs to be 5 times more and 10 times more and all this other stuff' date=' yet...How do you plan on killing them? Two things will happen with 5X more zombies: 1.) Crawling EVERYWHERE making the game incredibly slow and boring, 2.) Dying every single time you need to go into town for food, every single time, since where do you plan on getting all this ammo to kill 100 zombies? How often do you have 100 bullets on you for every can of food you wanna go in and get? And with either of the two outcomes above, one thing is GUARENTEED- the game gets less fun. Whether it gets incredibly slow and boring or incredibly difficult to the point where it's frustrating/impossible, one thing is certain- it gets less fun. I know SOMETHING should be done, but I just don't think a million more zombies is the answer.

[/quote']

The solution to that? Work together. Everyone who wants to enjoy the game, will be nearly forced to cooperate. I believe that will help the "Shoot on sight". It might be more like, I really need food maybe this person can go with me into town and we can share some loot because I can't survive alone.

True. But it might do the exact opposite of what your saying, and make people just shoot on sight even more often, since with more zombies, people REALLY wouldn't want to go into towns unless they have to. So the solution? Kill more players out in the woods where they're safe from a hoard of zombies that they don't have enough ammo to take on.

That's if other people had supplies. Which more than likely they wouldn't with the Increased difficulty.

Do you understand what you're saying about the zombies? There needs to be 5 times more and 10 times more and all this other stuff' date=' yet...How do you plan on killing them? Two things will happen with 5X more zombies: 1.) Crawling EVERYWHERE making the game incredibly slow and boring, 2.) Dying every single time you need to go into town for food, every single time, since where do you plan on getting all this ammo to kill 100 zombies? How often do you have 100 bullets on you for every can of food you wanna go in and get? And with either of the two outcomes above, one thing is GUARENTEED- the game gets less fun. Whether it gets incredibly slow and boring or incredibly difficult to the point where it's frustrating/impossible, one thing is certain- it gets less fun. I know SOMETHING should be done, but I just don't think a million more zombies is the answer.

[/quote']

The solution to that? Work together. Everyone who wants to enjoy the game, will be nearly forced to cooperate. I believe that will help the "Shoot on sight". It might be more like, I really need food maybe this person can go with me into town and we can share some loot because I can't survive alone.

True. But it might do the exact opposite of what your saying, and make people just shoot on sight even more often, since with more zombies, people REALLY wouldn't want to go into towns unless they have to. So the solution? Kill more players out in the woods where they're safe from a hoard of zombies that they don't have enough ammo to take on.

That's if other people had supplies. Which more than likely they wouldn't with the Increased difficulty.

You're both wrong, get out.

One thing that I think should be added is some random zombieness out in the wilderness. Currently' date=' I can sprint through the woods non-stop without zombie-fear. If there was the odd zombie here and there, I'd have to travel a little more carefully…especially since any gunshot in the wilderness could put a bandit or two on your tail.

[/quote']

Totally agree. Need to be at least a few wandering zombies out in the woods here and there. Would definitely add a lot more tension and excitement!

Instead of just adding more zombies, just add in a new type: The seeker zombie. It sniffs out players and actively roams around where there is food or dead bodies. Once it finds a player it gives alarm and all zombies nearby (as in "Lee Enfield range") join the hunt.

Even if a player manages to kill them all, he will loose lots of ammo AND also get the attention of possible bandits nearby.

Instead of just adding more zombies' date=' just add in a new type: The seeker zombie. It sniffs out players and actively roams around where there is food or dead bodies. Once it finds a player it gives alarm and all zombies nearby (as in "Lee Enfield range") join the hunt.

Even if a player manages to kill them all, he will loose lots of ammo AND also get the attention of possible bandits nearby.

[/quote']

I like it...but how about ALL zombies do that :o

I'd rather die to fifty zombies coming straight at me faster than I can line up and shoot them down' date=' than to five zombies that imitate MC Hammer at 20mph and are impossible to hit.

[/quote']

LOL, I almost peed my pants! Screw fixing the zombie behaviour. Just give them some parachute pants and make them side strafe instead of run.

I'm new to the mod and I really like it so far. That said, I really hope the lone wolf element does not get removed [i.e. the game is made too hard for such play style], because i'd really not like to be forced to have too many meta-buddies.

What I see is that there are several play-styles: lone-wolf, traveler with some friends, hardcore clan players with massive loots, and (of course) farming dupe-whores who have 'bros with trucks', etc.

Now, I’m pretty sure that the game feels ‘easy’ with respect to some of these play-styles, and it should. Why not? They have every goddamn gun and piece of equipment in the game, and when they die they just sprint back to the tent and gear up.

My argument is that balancing shouldn’t make the game unplayable for certain types of players. If you want to make it harder isolate certain play-styles and make it harder for them because as it stands, certain play-styles are very easy obviously. The game still needs to be playable for the casual gamer, I believe.

I'm not sure I agree. Although the casual gamer should never be discounted, this is too raw and pure a conception to muddy the waters with appeasement for the masses.

I think there have been some great suggestions here and would like to add my own ideas.

I agree there is a lack of urgency. Not in the twitchy shooter game sense, but in the impending zombie death sense. I like that the game is slow paced, but I would like to see myself put under more pressure by the game itself rather than my choices.

Right now all of the high pressure situations are ones I put myself in. Either I am sneaking into a town with zombies, or I am investigating shots fired. If I'm just cruising around from town to town, or working through my inventory, I never really feel too concerned.

What I would like to see, is a chance for zombie spawns when I am stationary. Like if I camping a spot too long, the density of zombies should increase. I like that the OP mentioned popular zombie films, because it usually starts with a group finding a safe place, barricading it, but ultimately the swarm outside becomes gigantic and overwhelms. If I'm playing with a group of friends and we find a nice spot to set up shop, it would be cool to have zombies gradually show up/spawn so that the possibility for escape narrows. This way I would feel pressured to keep moving, or if I choose to hole up and recover etc, it's a dangerous choice because the horde outside will grow.

There's probably better ways to do this, but it was just a thought that popped into my head while playing last night, and I saw this thread so I thought I would contribute.

* Also thanks for making such a great game. Obviously it's still early days, but for a long time I was hoping for a game like this and here it is!

Realize it's the "hardcore" whining about nighttime/zombies because it puts something between them and killing people.

The people who complained about too many zombies were the same people crying that they were too fast. AKA PvE types who can't deal. They should remain fast' date=' AND there should be randomly spawned hordes as opposed to "spawn 20 zombies in city if a player approaches."

[/quote']

People complained they were fast because zombies in 'real life' (that is, based on all the popular zombie mythology) aren't 'supposed' to be fast. They are 'supposed' to be hordes of slow creepy walkers.

For technical reasons I doubt we'll see those hordes because that will tax the server. So we'll just have to accept smaller numbers of fast zombies.

It is far too easy to stay well-fed. I think the cans should be fewer and farther between and the meat from game should deteriorate in a day or two.

Apart from that, I am perfectly happy with waiting for the Devs to surprise me.

i really dont want to have to team up to survive, i dont have a mic, and dont like talking to ppl online, i just like to sit down and play, knowing theres other ppl on the same map, thats whats awesome about this. its like a single player game, but with real people running around. so intense.