Biito

Servers going down.

I'm not a server admin myself so I really have no idea how hard it is to run a server with all the restrictions and bugs in this game so I can't complain but I'd like to be able to set up a camp and not have the server I've placed my gear in to be down 3 days later never to be seen again. So I'm asking do any of you know reliable servers that are generally up, load somewhat quickly and have a playerbase between 8-18 people? Any feedback would be appreciated as I've set up 4 camps so far on servers I'd thought to be very good but they always disappear from the server list. A small list of the ones I've had troubles with are US 197, US 807, DE 505 which I no longer seem to be able to get on as the pings to high for me now for some reason. (Even after I played on it for a week)

from what i know, all servers are pretty much the same in regard to the disappearing of items in tents/vehicles.

• Like 1

from what i know, all servers are pretty much the same in regard to the disappearing of items in tents/vehicles.

It's not the items disappearing it's the servers going down completely, did you even read what I posted?

perhaps search for a clan/community with it's own server and running version 1.7.2.4 as it seems to be more reliable in saving. many servers are rented by small groups of persons, that may not continue with the server because of the lack of administrative possibilities or the frustrating problems with the latest version (or maybe a combination of both). those bigger communities won't shut down their servers so suddenly I guess.

Edited by aenima

It's not the items disappearing it's the servers going down completely, did you even read what I posted?

As a server owner (yes owner.. Dayz: We should not be referred to as hosters, but owners. We do infact own the server.) I have to say that I think many of them go down because admins feel like they are being controlled.

Some of the rules we have to abide by are hilarious. Not even stasi-germany had rules like these. We dont get to control how big our servers are(Minumum 40 slots), who we want on it.

We are not allowed to kick for our own players/clan, and every single kick/ban has to be reported by us on these forums. As far as I know a ban is local, and there are many servers out there. If someone is banned from a server, understand WHY you were banned, and dont do it on the next server. THat being said, there is always the possibility of admin abuse, which is why I said "some" of the rules. Any ban made by any admin should be defendable by that server.

Another thing I just saw is that the ban section states "Banned from OUR servers". My server is not your(DayZ staff) server, its my server. Its hosted by me, for me.(And the general public), but it is in no way DayZ staff's server.

While I do understand that some control is needed since its connected to their hive, there is no way they can really defend the rules they have made. They defend it simply by "Follow them, or we remove you". Even if its connected to your hive, its not your server. The hive is yours.

While I might get banned from these forums, or have this post deleted for the telling the truth, I dont know.

And yeah, I guess thats it.

• Like 1

As a server owner (yes owner.. Dayz: We should not be referred to as hosters, but owners. We do infact own the server.) I have to say that I think many of them go down because admins feel like they are being controlled.

Some of the rules we have to abide by are hilarious. Not even stasi-germany had rules like these. We dont get to control how big our servers are(Minumum 40 slots), who we want on it.

We are not allowed to kick for our own players/clan, and every single kick/ban has to be reported by us on these forums. As far as I know a ban is local, and there are many servers out there. If someone is banned from a server, understand WHY you were banned, and dont do it on the next server. THat being said, there is always the possibility of admin abuse, which is why I said "some" of the rules. Any ban made by any admin should be defendable by that server.

Another thing I just saw is that the ban section states "Banned from OUR servers". My server is not your(DayZ staff) server, its my server. Its hosted by me, for me.(And the general public), but it is in no way DayZ staff's server.

While I do understand that some control is needed since its connected to their hive, there is no way they can really defend the rules they have made. They defend it simply by "Follow them, or we remove you". Even if its connected to your hive, its not your server. The hive is yours.

While I might get banned from these forums, or have this post deleted for the telling the truth, I dont know.

And yeah, I guess thats it.

Why did you feel the need to post this? It has nothing to do with this thread.

Why did you feel the need to post this? It has nothing to do with this thread.

Did you not read your own first post? It has everything to do with why servers go down and stay down.

Edited by AndreasB

Did you not read your own first post? It has everything to do with why servers go down and stay down.

I asked for reliable servers not an explanation on why they go down.

There are no reliable servers..They can go down whenever the admin decides he/she is done..

• Like 1

I asked for reliable servers not an explanation on why they go down.

i got my own server, nl 51, stable, restarts every 6 hours,connection within 10 sec on the server.

enjoy

You own hardware on which you run software provided by the team. If you decide to run said software, you agree to abide to the rules. There are a multitude of problems, by the way, but your viewpoint is simply invalid. Almost all software comes with strings attached, in the case of DayZ, those strings include that you are not to ban people just because you feel like it and that you must not password or lock your server or run private hives. These are perfectly valid terms of service defensible in any jurisdiction you care to name. You download the DayZ Client files, you sign up for a server knowing these rules and acknowledging them. There is nothing wrong here. Your post is just misplaced feelings of entitlement writ large.

As for the actual topic of this thread, reliable servers will tend to be those run by communities with some kind of stable structure, they have a financing model, they have the manpower to continue to run the server, etc. Using gametracker.com is a good suggestion, as it allows you to see statistics on the servers in question.

• Like 1

As for the actual topic of this thread, reliable servers will tend to be those run by communities with some kind of stable structure, they have a financing model, they have the manpower to continue to run the server, etc. Using gametracker.com is a good suggestion, as it allows you to see statistics on the servers in question.

Respectuflly disagree.. reliable servers are those that the admins feel the motivation to keep up and running. You don't have to be rich to run a server at 35 bucks a month.. most MMOs are in that neighborhood already.. Motivation is what drives a server to remain up.. when that starts going away so do the servers.. Right now the motivation is low. so the servers are closing.. pretty simple

You own hardware on which you run software provided by the team. If you decide to run said software, you agree to abide to the rules. There are a multitude of problems, by the way, but your viewpoint is simply invalid. Almost all software comes with strings attached, in the case of DayZ, those strings include that you are not to ban people just because you feel like it and that you must not password or lock your server or run private hives. These are perfectly valid terms of service defensible in any jurisdiction you care to name. You download the DayZ Client files, you sign up for a server knowing these rules and acknowledging them. There is nothing wrong here. Your post is just misplaced feelings of entitlement writ large.

This is not the right place or thread for this, but just to be clear. I do NOT want to ban someone just because I feel like it. Thats called admin abuse. And secondly I really dont see a reason to lock or password protect my server.

What I do want to be able to do however, is kick or ban anyone playing disruptivly. (Read hackers). Earlier today I didnt ban two hackers because:

1) Your support-team dont reply to questions about your OWN rules. I was just told to post on forums, or ask somewhere else. Thats just not acceptable. If you lay down rules for us to follow that are unclear, you need to answer them upon request. (Or make the rules even clearer). Please do PM me about this, should I post logs on forums, or not?

2) Your rules are unclear on what to post in the cheat forum. (Hosting rules state post, forum rules state dont post (logs)) They also say video/screenshot, well.. Admins have neither, are supposed to just let people hack?

And just to be even clearer, I do aknowledge the rules, and I do abide by them. But I still think they are way too specific, and stops us admins from actually keeping our server hacker free.

Edited by AndreasB
  • Like 1

This is not the right place or thread for this, but just to be clear. I do NOT want to ban someone just because I feel like it. Thats called admin abuse. And secondly I really dont see a reason to lock or password protect my server.

What I do want to be able to do however, is kick or ban anyone playing disruptivly. (Read hackers). Earlier today I didnt ban two hackers because:

1) Your support-team dont reply to questions about your OWN rules. I was just told to post on forums, or ask somewhere else. Thats just not acceptable. If you lay down rules for us to follow that are unclear, you need to answer them upon request. (Or make the rules even clearer). Please do PM me about this, should I post logs on forums, or not?

2) Your rules are unclear on what to post in the cheat forum. (Hosting rules state post, forum rules state dont post (logs)) They also say video/screenshot, well.. Admins have neither, are supposed to just let people hack?

And just to be even clearer, I do aknowledge the rules, and I do abide by them. But I still think they are way too specific, and stops us admins from actually keeping our server hacker free.

read this

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/71904-new-major-battleye-anti-cheat-features/page__st__20#entry687939

and get part of

http://code.google.com/p/dayz-community-banlist/

by submitting your logs/banrequest

what else do ppl want :(