DR@GON (DayZ)

Shotguns need some love

I don't know if things will change back to "pre-nerf" weapon damages or not, but as it is now the shotguns kinda suck.

Since they have limited range, low ammo capacity (aside from the winchester), a slow rate of fire, and now, not so great damage, I just don't see the need to ever pick one up. I guess I could say the same thing for the 9mm SMGs, but shotguns and zombies go together like america and apple pie dammit!

Anyway, would be really nice to have a reason to use one... like devastating damage at close range... 8-10k? Maybe that's too much, but with all the .50 cals running around, a lot them prob being used like a shotgun (from the hip at close range), I don't think this is a big deal personally.

I even saw a buddy have to shoot a zombie twice with his 870 to put it down... I think he was using the pellet ammo tho... still, seems pretty sad.

Edited by DR@GON
  • Like 2

Agree, no zombie killing game is complete without the chance of shooting down tons of zeds with a shotgun.

yup, shotguns in this game suck.

It would probably do more damage to an organic lifeform (a human) to be hit point blank by a slug from a shotgun than it would to be hit by a .50 cal anti material riffle.

But apparently in chernarus they accidently swapped all the slug and pellet ammunition with BB's just before the zombies came in.

Chernarus. Where point blank shotgun blasts hurt as much as 7.62mm rounds and anti-material rifles weigh as much as shotguns and fit in your backpack.

You just know a lead on the development team is a sniper.

ohyeah champagne yeah shotgun FTW!!!

just love shotguns and its sad that its not that god in the game ,I mean dayz is supposed to be so "real" as possible and shotgun reach 50meters and hurts less than a fucking fist hit.

another thing that would be nice is if sawed off existed as secondary, perhaps a little too over power but what the hell.

the main problem with shotguns in the arma2 engine is although the shot is short range it's single target unlike it's real life counterpart in which the blast is scattered hitting multiple targets.

yup, shotguns in this game suck.

It would probably do more damage to an organic lifeform (a human) to be hit point blank by a slug from a shotgun than it would to be hit by a .50 cal anti material riffle.

But apparently in chernarus they accidently swapped all the slug and pellet ammunition with BB's just before the zombies came in.

Well, it WOULD do more damage to anything to be hit point blank by a slug from a shotgun. Because a slug from a shotgun is larger. It's not as fast, but it doesn't matter if the AM round doesn't tumble. The slug is more likely to slow down more compared to an FMJ 12.7x99mm round.

the main problem with shotguns in the arma2 engine is although the shot is short range it's single target unlike it's real life counterpart in which the blast is scattered hitting multiple targets.

Something tells me you haven't shot a shotgun in real life.

If you are using pellets you do 2k less damage then if you're using slugs, therefore that could be the reason why you are not dropping them in 1 hit.

Zombies having 4200 or so blood and pellets only take off 2k blood but slugs take 4.5k blood that could be why they're so crap.

I find that the shotguns are fine in this game especially the Winchester 1866.

Source: http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/Weapons

If you are using pellets you do 2k less damage then if you're using slugs, therefore that could be the reason why you are not dropping them in 1 hit.

Zombies having 4200 or so blood and pellets only take off 2k blood but slugs take 4.5k blood that could be why they're so crap.

I find that the shotguns are fine in this game especially the Winchester 1866.

Source: http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/Weapons

I believe that's the damage per pellet. Which is why killing someone with shot decreases your humanity by more than with a single slug. The question is...how many pellets?

Anyway, shotguns are ass in this game. They're basically what the revolver used to be pre-nerf.

i dont know what are complains about in this thread. the shotguns in this game far more realistic then i cock of duty and bf, because they have range not a fucking melee wapons! the damage might suck, but arma is all about mid to long range combat, so its not surprise there is issues with shotguns, and they cuased by shotgun`s mechanic.

if you dont like nerfed damage you can always roll back to 1.60

Edited by Frozen

I think buckshot to the chest would just about kill anything. Especially if these zombies are living, infected people, like was explained to us.

shotguns fire 8 pellets that does 2k of damage, at glance it might sound awesome but what kills the shotguns are the pellet spread, it's fucking huge, bad enough that even aiming dead on a rabbit that was standing still in the middle of a road about 20 meters from me none of the pellets hit and i fired 3 shots! I'm no hunter but i think i should had rabbit meat for lunch that day. Keeping with the meh mood slugs that are supposed to be used to hunt big game (bears, lions, rinos, elks, etc) doesn't have enough stopping power to down a human, and why i can't equip 2 rounds ammo just because my shotgun have an 8 rounds capacity? And even worst shotguns have no endgame potential because their best are the remington and the m1014 which are common military spawns.