Sign in to follow this  
grasmann

Complete feedback after 1-2 weeks of playing

I was playing dayz for something like 1-2 weeks now and just thought I should post

a complete feedback about the current state. Sorry because of the thread title, but

I didn't want to make a different thread for each of the points I'm addressing.

I was thinking about putting this into the bug reports sub forum ... but I had the feeling

that the suggestions overweight the bug reports, so I put it here.

Graphic

- graphical glitches with different useless objects like dead bodies, body bags, ...

These should be fixed as soon as possible in my opinion. If nothing else is working

just remove the useless stuff from the map untill there is a better solution.

Bandits are actually using those graphical issues to their advantage.

Zombies

- zombies running at you from 200m distance if you are in prone and barely visible

This is just stupid. If you want to sneak into a city it's just unpredictable no matter how

careful you are. To be honest at some point I started to just run through cities and relog

inside of a house to get rid of all the zombies I attracted.

This is not my favorited playstyle ... as I think it's pretty lame, but as soon as a zombie is

running at me, although I was extremely careful, I have to do it anyways.

- zombies walking through walls and closed doors

Since this is still an alpha version I can understand that there are some problems with

pathfinding and AI ... but seriously ... there is nothing more simple than a zombie ai.

- zombies seem buggy very often

I don't know if it's lag or just buggy, but very often the zombies feel kind of buggy. They

sometimes start running in a completely different direction when they spotted you, which

often leads to the assumption that another player must have attracted them.

Some zombies sometimes can't be hit very well, as if they were rendered on a different

location as they really are, although I have a ping of 25 or something, especially when

using an axe.

Also the mod misses some kind of hit-feedback for both melee and guns.

I think when hit by a projectile even zombies should stop for a short time or they should

be knocked back a tiny bit. They are zombies ... not supermans.

Well, ok most guns kill them with one shot anyways, but if many of them are running at

you you stop aiming for the head, then it would be nice to actually see some effect of

your bullets.

Player movement

- gettings stuck in doors when in prone or sneaking in general

I like the player movement in dayz/arma 2, but often enough I had real problems getting

into a house when I was chased by zombies because I was simply stuck somehow.

Pretty annoying.

Inventory

- The mod needs a way better inventory

It's the year 2012 ... where is the drag and drop?

Why can't I see how much space is in my backpack? I can only see it if I want to pick up

an item from the ground.

Why isn't the backpack invenory just displayed next to the basic inventory anyways?

Community fails

- duping

- server-hacks

Well this speaks for itself. No further comment.

- Server hopping

I recently played on different servers with a privat database and I think every server should

have one. I also saw topics about secound characters. Well, if every server would have an

own database these people could just have a different character for each server ...

problem solved. I guess everybody is aware of the problem with server hopping and

systematically looting military camps until you have the gear you want.

Flashlight

- The mod needs a way better flashlight handling

You desperately want to survive this apocalypse but you cant hold a pistol and a flashlight

at the same time? I like it that the nights are that realistic ... and really dark ... but why do I

have to be such an idiot in the game and can't even hold a flashlight straight if I run?

The player has to be able to use a flashlight without dropping the pistol first ... SERIOUSLY.

- headlamp for nvg-slot

I have seen other people suggesting a headlamp for the equipment slot were nvg and stuff

is equipped. I really like this idea, although I still think the flashlights should be improved.

Melee weapons

- The mod needs a way better handling for melee weapons

You can carry an axe if you have an AK47, but you can't switch to your axe without dropping

the AK first.

You can holster your secoundary weapon, as seen if you switch to your primary weapon.

You can holster your primary weapon, as seen if you switch to your secoundary weapon.

But you can't just holster both to use the axe? I mean ... what's the matter? He is carrying it anyways. XD

- Hit with the rifle

I'm in the middle of a city, and I attracted a single zombie. What do I do?

Should I run? Pretty noisy ... I will probably attract more zombies.

Should I shoot? Are you crazy?

Why not just hit the freak with the stock of my rifle? I think that should be possible!

It would even open more possibilities here:

If you perform a melee attack with your rifle while a secound zombie is attacking you there could be a

chance of a certain percentage that you accidently pull the trigger and set off a shot in whatever direction

your rifle is currently pointing to, possibly hitting a friend, zombie or nothing.

Server versions

- There are thousands of servers using dozens of different version and/or different dayz version

and beta version combinations

Actually I'm fine with this, but what bugs me is the error that occurs if you want to join a server and the

game is freezing on "Loading".

You have no other possibility as to shut down the game via task manager.

And the mentioned error is porting you back to the coast with all your items.

It takes incredibly long to walk to far away locations, and I don't even speak of night-travels.

These are the points that just ruin the mod almost completely.

For christ's sake, stop the development of dog addons and stuff like that, and fix the mod

first, or you won't have any interested customers for the standalone anymore.

Edited by grasmann
  • Like 2

I added some things suggested by friends of mine.

I also was inspired by different other threads in the forum.

being able to smack a zombie with the stock on your weapon.

• Doubt they would bring it in, they'd have to do an animation for every weapon in the game.
  • Taking away the whole concept of having a suppressor.

being able to smack a zombie with the stock on your weapon.

• Doubt they would bring it in, they'd have to do an animation for every weapon in the game.
  • Taking away the whole concept of having a suppressor.

- For the beginning it would be perfectly fine if all the weapons would just use the same animation I guess.

- I don't think it takes away the concept of suppressors. The stock of a rifle is no axe ... it could take 2-3 hits

for the zombie to finally die, so it would still be very attractive to be able to just shoot them.