herrjon

First Murder

I finally killed my first non-bandit player. I was in the Elektro school, fresh spawn, only had an axe and some meds. I guy was standing in one of the rooms, holding a makarov. He saw me as well and begins firing. I stupidly take cover down the hall (this was 2nd floor) trapping myself.

I say, "friendly, don't shoot, I have nothing." No response from him. He then comes out and beings firing on me, I dodge most of the bullets and begin attacking him with my axe. I could've stopped after I took out his leg, but something inside me just forced me to w+m1 until he was down. I had planned to patch him up after he was unconcious, but he stayed awake and shooting until the final blow.

I still have 1k+ humanity, but I feel terrible. He did have some nice tools, but aside from that, not much. I could've dealt with not having the makarov, but I took it with me, out of respect. Aside from traping myself in the hallway, did I do the right thing? The only thing that eases the guilt is the fact that he had just spawned and didn't lose very important stuff.

Also, a seperate encounter, just before this. A bandit carrying an axe walks up to me saying "Wooo, don't attack, I'm friendly, I don't have a gun" I usually shoot bandits on sight, but I figured I'd let this go since he could be a newbie that had to kill in self defense pre-patch. I keep and eye on him and go for the dead body in the room, and I see my "friendly bandit" pull out a pistol through the front desk. I immediately stand up and charge at him with my axe, as he is clearly a liar and just wanted to kill me. He did get away unfortunately. If I had gotten him, I would've taken his stuff and left area, not even seeing my future victim.

• Like 1

why do you feel terrible about the survivor you killed? you did the good stuff, its a video game brah, do not hesitate to secure ya beans !!!

• Like 2

The guy came in after you, did he not? I would call that self defense. Even if you did patch him back up he probably would have gotten up and shot the next guy who came along.

Also, LOL spam.

Yeah, next time this happens, after the point where you chop his legs - grab some flares from in the school, drag his body out in to the courtyard in front of the building and throw flares down around him. Then shoot at the ground (not at him), return to the building and watch the swarm of zeds eat him alive.

That will teach him for trying to kill someone with a Makarov.

I've been in this exact situation before and I killed the other player too. Self defence mate, don't feel bad at all.

Unfortunately, in my case the other guy had a shotgun and I bled out a few seconds after landing the fatal blow with my axe... xD

At least I took him with me though, he was a bandit...

It's so satisfying chopping someone with an axe lol. Especially when they are armed.... :)

Ah, the first murder. Always the hardest. Don't worry, it gets easier. Then you'll become a cold blooded killer, like me.

Ah, the first murder. Always the hardest. Don't worry, it gets easier. Then you'll become a cold blooded killer, like me.

Except successful, and prettier.

"I finally killed my first non-bandit player."

"I say, "friendly, don't shoot, I have nothing." No response from him. He then comes out and beings firing on me"

So how exactly do you define a bandit? The bandit skin? Bullshit, you can get it in self defense situations and loose it again after a while if you commit cold blooded murder.

It is defined by your actions and shooting a guy with lower gear yelling friendly is totally bandit. So basically you killed a bandit in self defense. Nothing wrong about that. Wait until you shoot your first innocent in the back from a rooftop just because you want to test your new cool weapon. I felt so bad i spent a whole day at the beach to help new spawns :)

Edited by okami

hell, guys do you even hear youselfs talking? its a game. have some fun and go out sometimes. you dont have to feel bad for anything here.

after you reached the "endgame" you will start to get plenty of kills...

hell, guys do you even hear youselfs talking? its a game. have some fun and go out sometimes. you dont have to feel bad for anything here.

The fact that it's a game is irrelevant. By killing someone in DayZ you're still flushing however much time they've spent playing that character down the toilet. Please take in to consideration the fact that not everyone is as thoughtless as you before writing next time. Thanks.

• Like 2

The fact that it's a game is irrelevant. By killing someone in DayZ you're still flushing however much time they've spent playing that character down the toilet. Please take in to consideration the fact that not everyone is as thoughtless as you before writing next time. Thanks.

I believe the point he is trying to make is that it is in fact a game and despite how "realistic" it may be, it should still be treated as such and not taken so seriously.

I believe the point he is trying to make is that it is in fact a game and despite how "realistic" it may be, it should still be treated as such and not taken so seriously.

That I definitely agree with. The part I took exception to was 'You don't have to feel bad for anything here'. Like I said - when you kill a player in game you're taking away something they've been working on for x hours and you should bear that in mind before mindlessly sniping people for a lol.

I'm very aware it's a game, but it's a sandbox game, I can play it however I want. I want to ghost through towns and find wounded people to heal and new people to help. This is much more challenging then going all death match with military weapons imo. I also prefer to RP to a degree, doing my best to immerse myself and play the role, and IRL, I wouldn't be killing a soul.

Just how I play bro.

• Like 2

Commited my first murder last night as well, and I feel awlful about it. I've been shot on sight numerous times without aggression, so I guess you could say I was a little paranoid. Now I have a different outlook on the deal. Story below if your interested, otherwise, its just a wall of text after this paragraph.

Joined up with a fellow from this forum last night to play some coop. I already had a fair loot, Winchester, 1911, essential survival gear and M24 in the alice pack for backup, along with assorted military ammo. Nothing I couldn't live without, but I've been snooping around for about 6 hours since my last death by murder.

Took a few for us to get met up, but we was on our way NW looking for a vehicle and better weapons, mostly transportation. Came up on Pustoshka with intentions on hitting the market and church. We were kind of split up dodging zombies, friend ahead of me. I was roughly following in his path and I noticed a "survivor" icon pop up with a different name!! Instant freeze! "There's someone else here man", I called over mumble. "That's just me" my friend said. "NO, reallly, this ain't your nametag. This guy crawling towards you from your six", I say.

With my Winchester drew and aiming down the sights, I see he's got an assault rifle of some sort (I'm new to this so I can't recognize guns yet). "Should I shoot?", I say. Friend; "I just came from around that corner, I must have startled him and he now realizes I didn't see him". I watch as the guy keeps crawling towards the direction my friend is in. Adrenline is killing me. Screen is shaking from needing painkillers (need to check first person more often), my hand shaking as well making the situation worse. I say "I'm going to shoot him, he's not calling out over chat/voice". "Go ahead!" my friend says. I click my left mouse, audible even through my Turtle beaches, and I swear I can count the seconds it takes before I hear the distinctive thud of a "pow" from the Winchester.

The guy stops crawling, possibly one shot kill considering I was aiming for the back of his head. Zombies begin to call out to the rest of the horde. Clatter of foot steps all around, sounds like I just woke up an army of giant ants determined to take my beans. "POW" goes the Winchester again. I fire again without realizing, instinct or selfless act, either way its done. "BuLlEtPrOoF was killed" pops up on the screen. A small amount of satisfaction attempts to settle apon me. "He's down", I say.

Friend comes back to the murder scene and tosses a smoke down the road. By the attention he brought from running around and the gun shots of me, our zombie problem was very bad to say the least. We then begin to loot the body. My loot pile was in pretty good status, but my friend had just spawned earlier and was in need of near everything. Dude was fairly loaded with most all basic survival gear, a map neither of us had, raw meat, few water bottles, an AKM with half a clip and an Uzi with no ammo and a few clips of assorted ammo. He was carring an alice pack, but it wasn't no where near full (odd). My friend got what he needed and I took a few tokens to justify my kill, mostly the Uzi that I didn't know existed in the game. Stuffed it in with the M24 in my alice pack. By this time, my inventory was completely full. Now we need a vehicle for sure to dump some of my loot off. With not even a fair-well to the late surviver, we head further north on our quest.

It really didn't hit me until after I logged off last night, but I feel remorseful for my murder. My humanity did drop to -1500ish after the kill, but when I logged off, it was back close to zero. None-the-less, I'll remember the first one, hopefully my last.

Welcome, HerrJon. It must be horrible to have to kill, and I'd feel bad too. I'm sure I will when I finally have to kill someone. You're right to play the game your way. Do it how it feels right to you. :thumbsup: