chet (DayZ)

ARMA2 Hit detection/processing lag

What's up with the latency with ARMA2 processing bullet damage?

I just found myself looking down the thermal scope of my L85A2 AWS at a ghillie suited sniper barely 25m away, in the Old Fields. I fired five shots mid chest at him, and just as I fired the 5th, he fired back with whatever he had (AS50 I think). We both died. I'm positive that I fired first with my volley and that all rounds hit him before he fired, so how come he was able to return fire? Is this a known issue? Seems weird given how accurate bullet and world physics are in every other regard.

My ping to the server is 20ms.

Related: if anyone wants an L85A2 AWS and what's probably an AS50, they're on the two rocky mounds in the middle of the Old Fields on FR16 =OSF= - I can't be bothered making the run to recover my gear although the guy I killed might be doing that now.

The Connection between you and the player is P2P.

The Connection between you and the server is not.

Your Ping is based around your server your connected too, not the player. The ARMA 2 engne is based around this, Hopefully it will be more optimized for the standalone.

Its kind of a good thing, With the right coding the servers can go up 200/300 players or like Eve online numbers.

Edited by Night Stalker