Chambers (DayZ)

Wish List - Advanced Options & More Difficulties

DayZ Wish List

Some of these have been mentioned before, some are outside of the capabilities of any game engine right now due to the massive load of tracking objects, but here's my thoughts.

General Additions to the Engine

- Sounds carrying further - maybe not enough to aggro zombies - but I know for a fact that I can reasonably hear a revolver shot from at least a 1000m, not the 52.8m set by the game. Wind should be a factor - don't worry about altering bullet drift yet, but I should be able to hear things for longer distances if they are coming downwind.

- Have people be able to ride in the back of the pickup trucks, on the handlebars of bicycles, or even in the trunks of cars.

- Holster/stow your pistol, put your rife on your back, and carry things like another backpack, a jerry can, or whatever. Move slower, fine, but I have two hands, let me use them.

- Longer weapons or body parts poking through solid objects; not just prohibiting them from happening but allowing the body to move to accommodate them (i.e. legs and torsos bending along a wall as you lie prone) - It's not an easy task, but 'sold object' should mean SOLID.

- More climbing, ability to jump, and squeezing though narrow areas

- Fire! More Fire! - burn buildings, tires, tents, or vehicles - the smoke of a house fire could be seen for miles, and last for hours.

More Object Control:

- Put more things into other things - I should be able to fill barrels, bottles or jugs with fuel or water. Make me have to clean it so it's not contaminated (water in the fuel, fuel in the water) I'd rather be sick than dead from thirst.

- Dumpsters - be able to hide in them.

- Allow me to hide a stash of weapons or supplies in a container-like object like a dumpster, or under some rocks against an old rock wall

- If I want to take a couple trash cans, put it in the back of my truck and drive it to a house across the map so that I can stack them and some boxes as well to get on the roof of a one-story house, I should be able to.

- Dig a small hole and bury stuff - not an underground bunker, just a hole. With a tarp or box I could reasonably protect canned food, canteens, and other basic stuff. to reliably bury weapons, you'd need a box, a tarp, and and a great deal of axle grease.

- No tent? Build a lean-to from wood, leaves and other stuff - works as well as a tent, I've built them myself, and if done right and placed strategically, can be camouflaged very well.

- Even in the apocalypse, if I found a auto repair garage, I could modify my vehicle - you don't need power for ox-acetylene welding, just the tanks - for example, let me add light armor to civilian vehicles to protect tires, windows, and the engine a little better - I'd be slower, and still no match for an anti-materiel gun, but against lighter rounds have a bit more protection. Get a working generator and you can do more.

- IIRC, towing vehicles is already possible in ArmA II. I would love to be able to tow cars, both useable and the rusting hunks in towns, and put them to use as barricades and whatnot.

- Ropes; rappelling, climbing, stretch across a road to clothesline bikers, tie up hostages, or even string backpacks up in trees and have them act like tents.

- Make your own cheap-ass, low quality, ghillie suit from plants and branches. Spreading charcoal from a used campfire on your clothes should help hide that clean survivor outfit of yours. A grimy old olive-drab tarp, covered in foliage, with a holes for the head/arms and worn like a poncho could work too.

More points of failure

- Cars break down

- Guns jam, some rounds of ammo are duds, that old shotgun and box of ammo you found in a barn is probably not the most reliable.

- Flashlight, l85 thermal sights, rangefinders, GPS and NVG batteries should wear out and may not be that water resistant if you take a swim.

- That boat you found might have a leak, or maybe a tire blows out if you go too fast for too long or run over something hard or once too often (that one is at least partially already present).

- Oh, your matches got wet? You should only have so many to a box, anyways.

- Meat should go bad after a while - remember those raw steaks you put in your tent last week? Maybe that pig has trichinosis or that cow has a huge, pus filled infection that spreads during the gutting process. (perhaps mitigated by one of these 'learning skill' things I've been hearing about)

- Ghillie suits need to be maintained after a few days. Hmm. I wonder if they're flammable?

• Like 2

DayZ Wish List

Some of these have been mentioned before, some are outside of the capabilities of any game engine right now due to the massive load of tracking objects, but here's my thoughts.

General Additions to the Engine

- Sounds carrying further - maybe not enough to aggro zombies - but I know for a fact that I can reasonably hear a revolver shot from at least a 1000m, not the 52.8m set by the game. Wind should be a factor - don't worry about altering bullet drift yet, but I should be able to hear things for longer distances if they are coming downwind.

- Have people be able to ride in the back of the pickup trucks, on the handlebars of bicycles, or even in the trunks of cars.

- Holster/stow your pistol, put your rife on your back, and carry things like another backpack, a jerry can, or whatever. Move slower, fine, but I have two hands, let me use them.

- Longer weapons or body parts poking through solid objects; not just prohibiting them from happening but allowing the body to move to accommodate them (i.e. legs and torsos bending along a wall as you lie prone) - It's not an easy task, but 'sold object' should mean SOLID.

- More climbing, ability to jump, and squeezing though narrow areas

- Fire! More Fire! - burn buildings, tires, tents, or vehicles - the smoke of a house fire could be seen for miles, and last for hours.

More Object Control:

- Put more things into other things - I should be able to fill barrels, bottles or jugs with fuel or water. Make me have to clean it so it's not contaminated (water in the fuel, fuel in the water) I'd rather be sick than dead from thirst.

- Dumpsters - be able to hide in them.

- Allow me to hide a stash of weapons or supplies in a container-like object like a dumpster, or under some rocks against an old rock wall

- If I want to take a couple trash cans, put it in the back of my truck and drive it to a house across the map so that I can stack them and some boxes as well to get on the roof of a one-story house, I should be able to.

- Dig a small hole and bury stuff - not an underground bunker, just a hole. With a tarp or box I could reasonably protect canned food, canteens, and other basic stuff. to reliably bury weapons, you'd need a box, a tarp, and and a great deal of axle grease.

- No tent? Build a lean-to from wood, leaves and other stuff - works as well as a tent, I've built them myself, and if done right and placed strategically, can be camouflaged very well.

- Even in the apocalypse, if I found a auto repair garage, I could modify my vehicle - you don't need power for ox-acetylene welding, just the tanks - for example, let me add light armor to civilian vehicles to protect tires, windows, and the engine a little better - I'd be slower, and still no match for an anti-materiel gun, but against lighter rounds have a bit more protection. Get a working generator and you can do more.

- IIRC, towing vehicles is already possible in ArmA II. I would love to be able to tow cars, both useable and the rusting hunks in towns, and put them to use as barricades and whatnot.

- Ropes; rappelling, climbing, stretch across a road to clothesline bikers, tie up hostages, or even string backpacks up in trees and have them act like tents.

- Make your own cheap-ass, low quality, ghillie suit from plants and branches. Spreading charcoal from a used campfire on your clothes should help hide that clean survivor outfit of yours. A grimy old olive-drab tarp, covered in foliage, with a holes for the head/arms and worn like a poncho could work too.

More points of failure

- Cars break down

- Guns jam, some rounds of ammo are duds, that old shotgun and box of ammo you found in a barn is probably not the most reliable.

- Flashlight, l85 thermal sights, rangefinders, GPS and NVG batteries should wear out and may not be that water resistant if you take a swim.

- That boat you found might have a leak, or maybe a tire blows out if you go too fast for too long or run over something hard or once too often (that one is at least partially already present).

- Oh, your matches got wet? You should only have so many to a box, anyways.

- Meat should go bad after a while - remember those raw steaks you put in your tent last week? Maybe that pig has trichinosis or that cow has a huge, pus filled infection that spreads during the gutting process. (perhaps mitigated by one of these 'learning skill' things I've been hearing about)

- Ghillie suits need to be maintained after a few days. Hmm. I wonder if they're flammable?

Great stuff!

All good suggestions but some of them are pretty hard to implement. I personally liked this the best:

All good suggestions but some of them are pretty hard to implement.

Indeed. I don't expect anything, but if one of the developers sees this, it may spur a few ideas about how something like that could be done. Having dealt with developers in the past, it's these odd pie-in-the-sky requests sometimes result in ideas that solve completely different problems than what was originally talked about.

A lot of these are related. If you made dumpsters enterable and moveable, you've solved a good bit of how to get things into the backs of vehicles.

A lean-to is just a tent with a different skin that you create from wood + a new collectable item, say 'branches and leaves' from bushes. Instead of making an action that requires 2 inventory items, make it two steps - make the frame (wood), cover the frame(branches and leaves).

Ropes are complicated, but there may be a way to use them like blood bags for hostages - One step ties arms, the other feet, and they would have to be dragged. a state change similar to the one right after you close a tent, where your weapon is not drawn, would work for bound arms that could not raise a weapon.

A second pack carried in the hand might use a modified 'carry body' action to function.

Some of these are too much to ask, but a good deal of them are possible, even with the existing ArmA engine.