Sign in to follow this  
RedronXD

DayZ easier to install on disc or through steam?

Hello DayZ community.

I am contemplating on whether or not to download ARMA2:FREE off website and OA off steam as my friend knows how to install that and can help me through battleeye crisis's, or if i should buy Combined Operations from a store near me.

The only thing is that i don't seem to find anyone who knows how to install it through disc with no problems.

I am wondering if someone/some people may be able to tell me which one is easier to install, disc or through steam and ARMA2:FREE.

Please and Thanks,

Jordan / RedronXD

I bought it off a retail store, it's much easier I believe and faster because you don't have to deal with the downloading of 20gb and you have a solid copy if anything goes wrong.

Edited by Koala

The information above is pretty crappy actually. The game is MUCH easier to install if u have a steam copy. First of all steam allowes you to very easily set startup commands before playing dayz. Second, MOST players that play dayz have the steam version so you will get alot more support if anything goes wrong. Lastly, that 20gb download theory is wrong. Steam allows dynamic file download which means if one of your files are corrupt steam will automatically download that one file via steams integrity check. If you screw up anything in a non steam version you will have no clue which file is corrupt or which file ur missing and thus will have to install the whole game again. Overall steam will be the way to go, specially when you get more involved with the community (clans) and you will end up using steam friends to add them and such. So buy it in steam so you own it forever instead of having a disc.

PS: With steam you will be able to play dayz in multiple computers, with a retail you can only use ur cd key in one computer.

Normally I would recommend a combined operations copy over the free+OA copy but in this case go with the free+OA simply because dayz will be standalone soon anyways. There is no point in spending more money for a game that will just get replaced unless your actually planning on playing arma 2 without dayz.

Edited by siam331