sinjax

can i run dayz?

So i recently bought arma and installed dayz. I play fine and then after about a minute or 2 it starts to lag horribly, the textures start freaking out and the quality goes below even the lowest settings. It's not the bug like with the tents. My PC specs are: intel i7 3.4 ghz processor, amd radeon 6450 graphics card, 8gb of ram. anyone help?

you can play it, those things in the sky and spikes are called artifacts,

just go to options > video > advanced >

vsync: disabled

texture detail: low

video memory: low

that should fix it for most servers but not all

im playing on the lowest settings possible and the textures just disappear and everything changes colors and the game crashes and stuff, its so annoying i just bought this game and its unplayable. Oh I also had to use -winxp to make the game run. Also I found that when the issues happen and i alt+tab and then open the game back up it seems to fix it. It does not work if i flush the game though.

Edited by daowner123

That's really weird, you should be able to run it perfectly fine on high quality settings. I would personally try re-installing the mod. Also if you are not using the beta I recommend you download the beta patch (just google "arma 2 beta patch" its the first link.) I would also recommend trying different servers because some might not be working properly, and make sure the server you are on is the same version of DayZ as you, and make sure you keep up to date with patches. I hope this helps, and happy hunting.

yes so my beta patch seems to be out of date, but it does not work when i try and update it, it stays at 95248 and won't update, any help?

okay i updated, im on a server with my beta patch, and its still happening, any ideas?

i have read that my graphics card isnt the best, actually pretty horrible, could that be the issue? its an amd radeon 6450 graphics card

Edited by daowner123

okay ill try this, what is this supposed to do? let me monitor gpu temps if its overheating?

Just open it up, switch to the sensors tab and let it run in the background. Open up DayZ and play for a while (or until you can't play lol) and then switch out and see how the temperatures etc look. Post some results if you can.

alright ill do this now, shouldnt take long i cant really play too long anyways lol

Based on the log file you provided. It seems that it is not a temperature problem which is a good thing.

I did notice that the GPU usage is spiking to 100% and then back down to 0% which is possibly when you were alt tabbing back and forward but if this is happening in game then it could be a different issue. Did you have a look at your CPU usage at all during the test?

no i didnt look at it at all, and yes i was alt tabbing and also trying to flush the screen while in game, probably why it went down to 0%

Sorry for the slow replies, I'm currently at work.

I would say that if your GPU is being cranked at 100% usage the entire time that it is probably the bottleneck in your system. If your CPU is not under high load (which it should not be based on the model) then it would probably be time to upgrade to a better GPU or add in a second GPU.

I would also set your video memory in game to "default" as this will utilize the maximum amount of memory on the card. Is it possible you can give a screen shot of the artifacting? It may help determine if it is a software or hardware issue.

its completely fine.

I'm sure my cpu is doing fine, its a really good cpu from what ive heard, im probably going to buy a nvidia graphics card sometime in the near future, its not really artifacting like you see from the balota tents or anything though, everything is fine i just lose textures and everything goes to different weird colors and what not and the ground is black sometimes.

If you have another video card you can perhaps borrow from someone else to test in your system would be a sure way to rule out any other issues. Would give you an idea of the juice required from a new card if you were going to get one.