Sign in to follow this  
james_manring

Water Jerry Cans

http://www.jerrycan.com/products/c/lifesaver/p/lifesaver-jerry-can-20000.aspx

I would like to see Water Jerry Cans like this implemented. They would not be used for storage of fuel so there is no worry there. The can should be able to attach to a vehicle and players should be able to refill their Water Bottles from it by going up to the vehicle and using the mouse scroll wheel.

Not sure if a good idea. But i suggest that Water Bottles gets a buff, so they are much more attractive over a simple can of cola.

I suggest:

Make the water bottle 2xdrinkable

Make the water bottle let your thirst last longer than a cola by lets say 30% ?

It would definitely make me want to grap a water bottle over a can of cola then.

Water bottles are kinda rare, compared to finding a can, also the refill ponds is just too hard to bump into on your travel.

Hence why a Water Jerry Can mountable with a slot on vehicles is a good idea. You can't find water so often in so many places. It doesn't require a lot of coding to use them, unlike the complex situation you are suggesting. You could leave water bottles the same and refill them 50 times from a Jerry Can. Refill the Jerry once every few days depending on your group size.

Infantry trained people and survivalists understand that you do need to take much more water with you if possible especially in hot places for safety. They also understand using Jerry Cans for this purpose. This method would be much more common in an actual SHTF scenario.

Future: This could be used by the DEVs as a trading currency in a way. Fuel, Water, and Meat should end up having some value to the greater good in some way or need to be items used in cooperative interest. Jerry Cans of Water could be used to fill a Radiator that is damaged on a car if you wanted to add a new item to vehicles for repair reasons. Water could be needed to clean wounds so they can be bandaged or repaired, such as certain broken bone or pain situations (would require an indicator that you require medical treatment from a nurse). There are a lot of uses for larger amounts of clean water.

Also, check out this video of the lifesaver being used

It requires pumping for a while and that makes noise. That leaves you vulnerable and takes time. You have a long filling animation I would suppose.

Edited by James_Manring

Not sure if a good idea. But i suggest that Water Bottles gets a buff, so they are much more attractive over a simple can of cola.

I suggest:

Make the water bottle 2xdrinkable

Make the water bottle let your thirst last longer than a cola by lets say 30% ?

It would definitely make me want to grap a water bottle over a can of cola then.

Water bottles are kinda rare, compared to finding a can, also the refill ponds is just too hard to bump into on your travel.

Water bottle is much more attractive then a can of drink. Firstly, you can stop at any lake to refil your water bottle, and have a drink whilst you're there. So you don't have to wait until you're flashing red for maximum efficiency. Secondly, you can share a water bottle between multiple people if someone in your group hasn't managed to find one yet. One water bottle can refresh an entire groups drink meter at one water hole. Then thirdly, you always know how much inventory space your bottles are taking up. If you have 2 backpack slots set aside for water bottles, you always know that you've got say 22 spaces left in your Coyote backpack for other things.

As for finding water sources, you can draw a line between just about any two towns on the map and there will be a water source somewhere between them with only a minor detour. When there isn't a water source between those two towns, there's a fair chance that one of those towns will have a well where you can refill.

I generally find that if I come across a can of soda, and I've got full water bottles, I will simply drink the can on the spot before I move on. In this way, even if I manage to travel somewhere that there's no water sources nearby, I will always have my drink meter fairly close to full.

As for the OP, I think it's a great idea. Would also be nice to be able to carry those water cans in your backpack like you can a jerry can. It would take up 3 spaces just like a jerry can but have 20 drinks in it, and be able to fill up a water bottle.

You could also place it on the ground for people to refill from, and refill it from a lake as normal.

Water bottle is much more attractive then a can of drink. Firstly, you can stop at any lake to refil your water bottle, and have a drink whilst you're there. So you don't have to wait until you're flashing red for maximum efficiency. Secondly, you can share a water bottle between multiple people if someone in your group hasn't managed to find one yet. One water bottle can refresh an entire groups drink meter at one water hole. Then thirdly, you always know how much inventory space your bottles are taking up. If you have 2 backpack slots set aside for water bottles, you always know that you've got say 22 spaces left in your Coyote backpack for other things.

As for finding water sources, you can draw a line between just about any two towns on the map and there will be a water source somewhere between them with only a minor detour. When there isn't a water source between those two towns, there's a fair chance that one of those towns will have a well where you can refill.

I generally find that if I come across a can of soda, and I've got full water bottles, I will simply drink the can on the spot before I move on. In this way, even if I manage to travel somewhere that there's no water sources nearby, I will always have my drink meter fairly close to full.

As for the OP, I think it's a great idea. Would also be nice to be able to carry those water cans in your backpack like you can a jerry can. It would take up 3 spaces just like a jerry can but have 20 drinks in it, and be able to fill up a water bottle.

You could also place it on the ground for people to refill from, and refill it from a lake as normal.

Point 1: I don't plan my routes after a fucking water pond. I require you to be at a water source all the time. It's just not worth the effort to go for that, instead you'll see 10 times more cans of soda on you way there, so its kinda pointless.

Point 2: Soda is still much more common than a water bottle, i dont have time to tell my 3-4 other guys to come to me, and share a damn bottle and refill it at each trade. It takes damn 10 min before we have managed the shareing and looting, because of a shitty inventory system.

Point 3: Well, that one spot with the empty water bottle is easily replaceable before you find the next water source, it's better to grap a estra mag for your weapon than having a useless empty water bottle laying around. I'll have one sode instead, so when i drink it, i know i have a free slot for a unexpected item that i may find.

Draw a line? as said, im not planing og going from water source to water source in this game. By the time i get there, i have stumbeled upon serveral soda cans. :)

Imo. i think its just not worth it, ofc it's just as good as a soda can, and slightly better if you heard out in the wildernes where you find no spawns for etc soda cans, and you may stumble upon a lake or somthing, yes, then it's slighty better.

The logic behind a huge military / survival water bottle equals a lazy can of soda, is just weird. Water itself should also give you more energy than coke :)

The logic behind a huge military / survival water bottle equals a lazy can of soda, is just weird. Water itself should also give you more energy than coke :)

What? Care to give any supporting statements or facts here? How many carbohydrates are in water? To be honest the whole post seemed kind of dickish, but I wanted to attempt to ask you a totally easy question and get a fair answer back from you this time.

Anyways, check out this site guys:

http://www.lifesaver...ry-can-features

You should be punished for your play style by dying of thirst or praying for a water bottle or sodas at the hands of a cruel and unforgiving game engine. In a real SHTF scenario the sodas would not be so plentiful after a short amount of time. To add any kind of end game dimension to DayZ a lot of people have come here to make suggestions. My suggestion is to make a resource that is truly valuable in this scenario behave accordingly. Right now someone that doesn't know much about survival can play this game without making a plan or a line from points and deviating from that to get supplies. If you can survive by stumbling around and living off of vending machine food this feels like an arcade game and not a simulator where the player must value anything.

Edited by James_Manring
  • Like 1

What? Care to give any supporting statements or facts here? How many carbohydrates are in water? To be honest the whole post seemed kind of dickish, but I wanted to attempt to ask you a totally easy question and get a fair answer back from you this time.

Im just saying Water is underpowered compared to a pepsi.

While water cans make sense, it also makes survival a little too easy. Considering how useful water canteens are, replacing them in the game with high-storage, high-capacity containers would be a bit gamebreaking.

One alternative is to have a water can take up slightly less space than a canteen. So a five use water can could take up only four spaces. That way you are using space more efficiently while still having to manage inventory.

Im just saying Water is underpowered compared to a pepsi.

Water should hydrate better than a pepsi, but only because caffeine dehydrates you. A rootbeer would be a mix of calories and water and would both stave off hunger and hydrate you.

Anyway, water bottles are fine for what they are -- reliable, refillable back-up water supplies if you can't get to a can of soda. And bodies of water show up on your in-game topo map as well as dark green splotches at the bottom of mountains/hills while fountains/pumps show up as little fountains in cities when you zoom in all the way.

Edited by BazBake

The inventor talks at TED

He talks about SHTF scenarios. It is worth looking at. Consider what zombie infected water would do to you.

Suggestion to DEVs: Without capable filtering, some water sources should automatically make someone sick and give dysentery.

Suggestion to DEVs: Add dysentery as a sickness symptom above and beyond coughing. :D