skudd3r

Understanding Why the Game is Getting Boring

First, the DayZ staff is small and they have announced that they are making a standalone game. This is great news, however, this means that more then likely the Arma2 version of DayZ is going to suffer.

Why would they put more man hours into a mod for a game that is going to be abolished at some point? This means more then likely the hacking/scripting will remain and continue to grow, the content for the game will continue to decrease, and the bugs will take longer to fix.

For me, the addiction that DayZ was once has tapered. The game is getting stale. I pop in the game now and don't have the same drive to play for endless hours. I dare not play on large servers for fear of being teleported to some death arena or have some axe murder teleport behind me in a Ronald MC Donald skin playing "It's raining, its pouring".

I had hopes for this mod, but in my eyes the popularity has driven the makers into an "celeb like frenzy", and they are too busy enjoying the perks/attention. You have made a titanic like game, better keep steering it, or it too will sink.

Edited by SKuDD3r
  • Like 1

They're using the mod to test features and game play changes before the stand alone version is released. Also, they don't have much control over the anti hacking software that Arma 2 runs. He's said that when the stand alone is released, they'll have much more direct control over it

• Like 8

You have missed the point. It might have been mentioned before somewhere(?) but its in an ALPHA stage of development. That means it is not in bug fix mode. It is not in standalone development mode. The whole thing is alpha - that means more game mechanics to be applied, more new things like dogs and player bunkers etc. All before bugs are fixed and before it is ported to a new map/engine.

So go away and come back in a month when it will feel like new again because everyone will be using pogosticks and tazers and they didn't have those when you were getting bored...

• Like 2

Both versions will be unique do to engine revisions, some people may still prefer the mod over the game.

Edited by Resin_
  • Like 3

One of the reasons why it is getting boring is that its getting easier. I've been playing for a couple of weeks and I've got used to the AI, The zombies isn't the problem any more for me its the players/hacks.

Edited by Night Stalker
  • Like 2

You have missed the point. It might have been mentioned before somewhere(?) but its in an ALPHA stage of development. That means it is not in bug fix mode. It is not in standalone development mode. The whole thing is alpha - that means more game mechanics to be applied, more new things like dogs and player bunkers etc. All before bugs are fixed and before it is ported to a new map/engine.

So go away and come back in a month when it will feel like new again because everyone will be using pogosticks and tazers and they didn't have those when you were getting bored...

Sorry but you are wrong. Alpha is commonly misunderstood. In the typical design cycle, there is First Playable, which usually means, the game is playable, but not feature complete. Alpha however, is the point where key game-play functionality exists, and core assets are partially finished. A game in alpha is "feature complete". This means that the game is playable and contains all major features. Alpha is the last typical stage where small updates/features are implemented before a code freeze. Now many can argue if the game is "playable" at its current state.

Edited by SKuDD3r
  • Like 1

I was under the impression that the code for the ARMA 2 version can be easily ported over to the ARMA 3 version, so they're developing both at the same time really.

• Like 1

I doubt it, they wouldn't have the man power to do all 3, they will most likely stick their standalone as priority if they have "partners/funders". Its the same thing that happened with Notch(Minecraft), all the popularity and money got to him, so Minecraft took a bit of a hit on the development side for quite a while, until he hired staff to take it over.

• Like 1

First, the DayZ staff is small and they have announced that they are making a standalone game. This is great news, however, this means that more then likely the Arma2 version of DayZ is going to suffer.

Why would they put more man hours into a mod for a game that is going to be abolished at some point? This means more then likely the hacking/scripting will remain and continue to grow, the content for the game will continue to decrease, and the bugs will take longer to fix.

For me, the addiction that DayZ was once has tapered. The game is getting stale. I pop in the game now and don't have the same drive to play for endless hours. I dare not play on large servers for fear of being teleported to some death arena or have some axe murder teleport behind me in a Ronald MC Donald skin playing "It's raining, its pouring".

I had hopes for this mod, but in my eyes the popularity has driven the makers into an "celeb like frenzy", and they are too busy enjoying the perks/attention. You have made a titanic like game, better keep steering it, or it too will sink.

You answered your own questions in this line (highlighted above).

DayZ for the Arma 2 engine is a mod in alpha state to throw ideas at us (the testers) to see how it changed our gamestyle and gameplay and keep those changes if it was in line with the overall feel of what Rocket and team want DayZ to become.

This mod was never going to reach beta, and as you said in all likelihood it will reach a point in time where it is abandoned. That is the nature of evolution in alpha, time will be concentrated on the stand-alone product. I'm all for that, the more time is spent towards that, the sooner it will Beta and eventually retail.

You can't seriously post something like this and expect the mod to continue to grow and so on. The scripting/hacking issues lie soley on BattlEye's shoudlers and yes it sucks, I lost end-game gear in a second from being ported to airspace and faling to my death in unknown wilderness. But it's all part of the alpha mod in it's current state, and besides the #1 rule of trust no-one, the #2 rule is always, never get attached to your gear. It only takes one patch, one opening of a door in a bad position, and you die or lose all your gear.

Just be patient. In the meantime get ready for WarZ if you want something similar. It is almost in Beta stage and should hit retail end of year. This should tide those perfectionist gamers over until DayZ hits shelves.

Edited by Banicks
  • Like 1

Banicks,

While I appreciate the reply, my whole stance is based off of factual comments from the staff:

"There will be continued support for DayZMOD alongside DayZ game"

• Like 1

Sorry but you are wrong. ....

Well i disagree. I think you are wrong.

To quote wikipaedia - which is often wrong and not the bible on everything but I rather trust its peer reviewed description over your fat assertions...

"The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Alpha

Notice the word "ends".

So how do you explain that QQer?

• Like 1

Nope, beta is feature complete.

No its not.

A game in alpha is feature complete and assets are partially complete.

A game in beta is feature and asset complete.

Edited by SKuDD3r
  • Like 1

No its not.

A game in alpha is feature complete and assets are partially complete.

A game in beta is feature and asset complete.

Yes it is. Im a QA Technician. The software that comes down to me is in builds of pre-alpha, alpha, beta, etc, and I can definitely say that alpha builds are not feature complete.

However the meaning does differ between compaines BUT alpha is often associated with the features of a product being incomplete.

Edited by Glyphyyy
  • Like 1

Well i disagree. I think you are wrong.

To quote wikipaedia - which is often wrong and not the bible on everything but I rather trust its peer reviewed description over your fat assertions...

"The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete."

http://en.wikipedia....ife_cycle#Alpha

Notice the word "ends".

So how do you explain that QQer?

Here are many links for your liking

http://technicalgamedesign.blogspot.com/2011/04/alpha.html

http://www.obscure.co.uk/articles-2/computer-game-development-an-overview/

http://php.about.com/od/programingglossary/qt/alpha_beta.htm

http://www.proace.com/process/development/abc-release/

http://www.techopedia.com/definition/5935/alpha-test

http://quality-assurance-software-testing.blogspot.com/2005/10/difference-between-alpha-and-beta.html

Alpha contains all major features, As per Microsoft's design cycle. Beta is usually a pre-release to catch bugs, where no new features are typically added. As my original argument, the game is going stale from lack of content.

But obviously, you know how software development works.

-Software Engineer

• Like 1

They have seriously GOT to fix bugs and stop hackers before they start adding new content i think

It is not their job to fix the hacking, it is part of Arma2's engine. During alpha though, they should be adding more content to the game, we are "freely" testing their free mod. The thing people tend to forget is that they don't exist without us. Sure you can spend money and man hours making a game, but a game is nothing without feedback. This is my feedback, the game needs more, and these "frequent updates" we were promised are not happening. We are lucky to get a small minor update once a month.

They have to really release the standalone so the threads will stop..

Arguing over a definition now. lol

Newsflash - Its not feature complete. (insert whatever you want here, I prefer gamma)

@ SKuDD3r

Microshafted could not develop their way out of a paper bag! Your links only go against your own argument. This is pedantically and semantically circular. Lets say you are right for the purposes of brevity...

In your original post you say you are losing the impetus to play it. I should imagine this is also in the lead dev's plan. It was not designed at this point to have re-playability. Try something else and come back later. or hack back. Or just run round cherno blasting Bobby McFerrin over DC and be an axe magnet.

Edited by Drblodski
  • Like 1

The game may be getting boring, because you have to choose between getting thunderdome'd every hour or so (high pop) or not seeing anyone for hours, even in places like NWAF (low pop). Now, for some people the first is not a problem, as tents with endless lootz are at their disposal, and for others, it's not a problem, because they don't have anything.

There is this fracture of people, though, who couldn't find a fuckin' tent for 5 days straight in any of those shops, and don't want to lose their stuff without a fight.

• Like 1

@ Drblodski,

So you have absolutely derailed the whole point of this thread. The purpose was that content is not being added and bugs are not being fixed in a timely manner when they were promised by rocket and his staff multiple times in many thread posts about frequent updates and continuous updates for both dayzmod and dayzstandalone. But its adequate, they are at another INSERTNAME-CON event.

Edited by SKuDD3r

@ Drblodski,

So you have absolutely derailed the whole point of this thread. The purpose was that content is not being added and bugs are not being fixed in a timely manner when they were promised by rocket and his staff multiple times in many thread posts about frequent updates and continuous updates for both dayzmod and dayzstandalone. But its adequate, they are at another INSERTNAME-CON event.

But I don't think your thread had any point in the first place! Am I right guys? It's QQ. They added dog content and bandit headscarves in the last update. After the standalone was announced. And they fixed the dead soldier graphic glitch. What more do you want from a free experimental mod??

The standalone is barely going to leave Alpha. It won't receive alot of attention. Its just being done to make some money out of the game. I could be wrong, but that's the impression Im getting. Rocket really doesn't seem to be very ambitious about adding alot of content and features to the game in the future.

Edited by sostronk

The reason its boring is that it is not feature complete (because its still in alpha). Once you get a hatchet, matches, water bottle, and hunting knife you're set, you've survived.

Once base building is added (I'm still hoping for above ground, even though Rocket has said it will be underground bases) it will add a whole new layer to the game.