Sign in to follow this  
Daerk

Infected Players

I know this has been discussed before, however I think I have a possible solution to how this could be implemented in a rather easy way without breaking the game dynamics...

1. If you're killed by another player, after your "hourglass" ends make a secondary hourglass timer countdown for 30 seconds to 5 minutes (variable).

2. At the end of the second countdown, remove the scripted bloodloss particle effect. This has the effect that ingame the dead player stops bleeding. At this time, provide the dead player with a menu option to "Reanimate". If they click no, display the "You are Dead" screen. If they click YES...

3. Reanimate the dead player without gear (their pack/gear drops where they died) and change their facial texture to an infected.

4. Provide the zombie-player the grayed-out vision of a very wounded player, reduce the visible range, and set the player to constantly produce a zombie growling noise that aggro's nearby Z's and makes them follow the player.

5. The zombie-player moves rapidly, being a "fresh" infected. The Z-player now has X amount of time to play as an infected... maybe 10 minutes?

6. This allows the Z-player to attempt to kill the player that murdered them, if they can find them. In the process, the Z-player is rounding up a horde of Z's that follow in his/her tracks.

7. After your time limit is up, the Z-player falls over, animates a writhing motion, and the player is disconnected and brought to the "You are Dead" screen. In-game, the former body of the Z-player again stands up, as a new AI HUNTER Infected. Just like the existing hunter Z's. :)

This has the ability to address the PvP element in a realistic manner... if you kill another person, they are likely to reanimate as a fresh and fast infected... usually with a slight "memory" of what had just happened... and they are likely to come after you. Adds more danger to bandits attempting to murder players, and provides the ability for a player to get revenge on their murderer in a REALISTIC manner instead of respawning in the same server as a new spawn and trying to track down their murderer.

I think this mechanic allows an easy method of deterring PvP, in a realistic manner that properly incentivizes the players involved to either take the risk of killing another person and possibly adding to the Z population (with a fresh, fast, intelligent Z that's hellbent on revenge), or to act in a more humane manner and not murder another person.

Obviously, the Z-player wouldn't be able to pick anything up. Nor would they have a pack, or anything carried (since everything was dropped), in addition, it could be scripted that if the Z-player was near any LIVING survivor, they would AUTOMATICALLY attack them. So no nearby friends are safe, either. ;)

-- Daerk

• Like 2

I somehow do like your suggestion, You can have my beans+pepsi

If I am shot by a bullet, why would it infect me?

Maybe if you shoot someone, and as they are bleeding out, it attracts zombies, who bite/infect you on the ground, giving the option to spawn as an infected or respawn on the coast. This would make them choose, seek revenge or spawn to recover your items.

Not a shabby idea, but does need some tweeking a bit to 'make sense' and not be too OP/imba.

Also, slight memory is pretty good as well, maybe it hints in a general direction of your murderer, which would deter snipers from sitting still and just plucking people from one spot. Offer the infected player night vision, but really limited in distance. Attacks of scratch/bite which can in turn infect someone you attack.

Keep the speed of current infected, maybe make the newly infected player a bit hardened, at least to body shots [whats to stop someone from just dropping you again after you reanimate], and throw the time limit onto it.

Give the ability to 'hold breath' as not to grunt, but once you breathe again, you make louder, more frequent moans/grunts for x time. So this gives the ability to sneak for a short time followed by a long term duration where your infected position is well known.

This would add a pretty sweet dynamic to the game for sure.

Edited by Oh!

I think zombie attacks should have a 25% chance of infecting you. 3 out of 4 zombie attacks, the player will be alright but there is a chance that they will turn you. I think this would be a good system because if a player is attacked by a zombie, they will show signs of infection, (that they only can see, visual effects, performance effects, temperature), but will be hesitant to inform other players because they may just kill him, even though there is a chance of survival.

I prefer to view the infection as a retrovirus requiring a catalyst to go active from it's dormant state.

IE: An airborne or waterborne viral infection that resides dormant in the body until the proper catalyst is received... the catalyst is commonly the saliva, blood, or infected flesh of an acutely infected individual... or death.

So in other words, without being bitten, you could die and reanimate because you've been exposed to the infection and the process of dying itself is the catalyst that activates the retrovirus.

But that's putting a BUNCH of assumptions into play and taking a lot of license in the DayZ world without official word on the nature of the infection...

-- Daerk

Unlike fine wine, stupid ideas do not get better with time. For the last fucking time - NO.

The infected are brainless, reduced to primitive instinct by the infection, and they should stay that way...

Also, we (the survivors) are all immune to the infection, hence not already being infected.

Edited by mZLY

Unlike fine wine, stupid ideas do not get better with time. For the last fucking time - NO.

The infected are brainless, reduced to primitive instinct by the infection, and they should stay that way...

Also, we (the survivors) are all immune to the infection, hence not already being infected.

Congrats on actually reading the post. :P

The infected remain the way they are. I'm talking about temporarily allowing a player to play as an infected as a revenge scenario prior to their death. A limited time "infection" for a player.

Also, I do not recall seeing anywhere that Rocket has detailed that all "survivors" are currently "immune" to the infection... as a matter of fact, I've seen a few dozen places including video interviews where he has stated the exact opposite.

-- Daerk

I know exactly what you meant, it's the same idea that's been suggested a thousand times before, it's still dumb and will never be implemented. Not sure why you're under the impression that I misunderstood your post, lol.

And it was an interview that I saw where Rocket stated that the survivors are immune.