datorqueman

Plant Exploit, Shit-P, etc, got any advice?

Somewhat a rant and a quest for advice or more info...

Myself, my children (older) and a few friends love Dayz, have since for some time now. We play so much we decided to get a server, set up a camp and enjoy the game.

We did, for some time until it became apparent how much hacking , scripting and exploiting the game has suffered.

I mean, its horrible.

For example:

15:34:11 XXXX uses modified data file - AddOns\plants2_Bush.pbo

15:34:12 XXXX uses modified data file - AddOns\plants2_Clutter.pbo

15:34:12 XXXX uses modified data file - AddOns\plants2_misc.pbo

15:34:12 XXXX uses modified data file - AddOns\plants2_Plant.pbo

The no plants/trees/etc exploit. 13 out of the last 20 users who logged into my server (today) were using this exploit. And server owners basically have no control over this that I am aware of. Or, at least at HFB servers they dont. You can do some things but there does not seem to be a way to force checks on these files and kick those that are taking advantage of the exploit.

If my little serer which hardly sees any traffic is this bad, how big of a problem really exists. I cant tell you how many times i been snipped from deep within cover and I know now it was likely due to this no tree stuff.

Not right.

Now the other issue, the RightShipt-P, giving yourself items. That alone dont bother me as much but i would love to disable this on my server as well.

I realize this is a Arma/Battleeye problem and not a dayz problem. But what can be done to aid against this kind of stuff?

I am likely to just not renew my server because of this. So much for having a little legit fun.

Thanks

• Like 1

I feel for you buddy and totally agree with you :)

Maybe it will come to the point when people like yourself that provide a service for everyone stop renting servers and when player numbers drop that BE & BIS will start to take action, BE recently started bragging about how many cheaters they have banned but for me personally i havn't noticed any drop in script kiddies fucking things up and the fuck up banning innocent people didn't help.

Hopefully the standalone will be more secure :)

I mean, its horrible.

For example:

15:34:11 XXXX uses modified data file - AddOns\plants2_Bush.pbo

15:34:12 XXXX uses modified data file - AddOns\plants2_Clutter.pbo

15:34:12 XXXX uses modified data file - AddOns\plants2_misc.pbo

15:34:12 XXXX uses modified data file - AddOns\plants2_Plant.pbo

I bet you all the money in the world the logs show the same info when you log into the game. Because it happens to everyone. It isn't an exploit it's just a bug in the scripts.log.

When the files are actually missing, players are rejected and cannot join the game.

• Like 1

The modified data file messages for plants popping up for everyone since the update 1.7.2.5 in the logs.

i've first thought also that these are texture hacks but there are legit. If you look closely then you will find this messages even

when you are logging into the game.

I guess the devs messed up here with the signatures for the plants.pbo's.

I bet you all the money in the world the logs show the same info when you log into the game. Because it happens to everyone. It isn't an exploit it's just a bug in the scripts.log.

When the files are actually missing, players are rejected and cannot join the game.

Hmm, perhaps it does happen to everyone... I dont see it for everyone...

Regardless,

"When the files are actually missing, players are rejected and cannot join the game."

Not true at all. I tested this on the latest update released on HFB, you can still log in, no trees, no bush, no plants, nothing. Besides looking like crap it just makes me not even want to play the game.

--

So I've posted about this issue a few times because it was very negatively effecting my server and the players that frequented it.

HFB and Vilayer and I assume many of the other VPS hosts do not allow regularCheck to be enabled. This is an ArmA II server script that requests a hash value of the pbo files from each client that is connected and at various intervals.

Many VPS hosts have jumped on

checkFiles[] = {
"AddOns\plants2_Bush.pbo";
"AddOns\plants2_Clutter.pbo";
"AddOns\plants2_misc.pbo";
"AddOns\plants2_Plant.pbo";
"Expansion\AddOns\plants_e.pbo"
};

As a solution and this is why you're seeing those items in your log files. These are UNSIGNED so they show up in the logs as modified data files. They can be completely missing and you will still get the same log entries for the client connecting. The function itself was replaced by verifySignatures and isn't doing anything useful for you according to Bohemia's knowledge-base.

The proper way to fix the no plants and other file modification issues is to;

1 - Enable verifysignatures = 2

2 - Enable regularCheck = "" or remove it from your .cfg entirely. This is DEFAULT ENABLED in the ArmA II server it's that important. (in your server.cfg you'll see it as regularCheck = "{}" which means "disabled, don't check anything."

verifysignatures will make sure all of the signed client files are unmodified and in place. regularCheck will make sure all of the unsigned files (like plants) are unmodified and in place and match. This feature uses a bit more disk I/O which is likely the economic factor behind overloaded VPS hosts not enabling it. If you cram 6+ DayZ servers onto a single box and have it on I imagine that causes problems... well rampant cheating is a pretty big problem too...

Get a better host is the only solution you have right now, sorry :(

Edited by Sanadorn

We have had tickets come in asking why they cant use shift-p. I have always thought it was to login with admin, now knowing what it is now. I know how to respond to tickets properly.

HFB and Vilayer and I assume many of the other VPS hosts do not allow regularCheck to be enabled. This is an ArmA II server script that requests a hash value of the pbo files from each client that is connected and at various intervals.

Many VPS hosts have jumped on

checkFiles[] = {
"AddOns\plants2_Bush.pbo";
"AddOns\plants2_Clutter.pbo";
"AddOns\plants2_misc.pbo";
"AddOns\plants2_Plant.pbo";
"Expansion\AddOns\plants_e.pbo"
};

We do not allow regular checks because it uses tons of IO. Also the check files is added to all of our server.cfg files but it has no affect to the plant hacking problem.

Edited by Ryahn

Oh yeah. Another feckless server host supporting hackers and cheaters. It is all about cash eh?

Oh yeah. Another feckless server host supporting hackers and cheaters. It is all about cash eh?

We have been trying to stop them. The bans list is updated from the community ban list that a few dayz staff members have setup. Also if we wanted to support hackers and cheaters. we would have never added the check files to the server.cfg to try and help. We are also working on adding the anti-hax that a GreyEcho has made to help ban players.

We do not allow regular checks because it uses tons of IO. Also the check files is added to all of our server.cfg files but it has no affect to the plant hacking problem.

It's not as bad as it used to be. Signature check IO usage was dramatically reduced in a beta patch a few weeks ago or so. It used to be unusable for me as well, too, due to the IO usage, but now it seems almost no different than with it off in terms of load. It's an important feature to have, so I hope you don't give up on it.

It's not as bad as it used to be. Signature check IO usage was dramatically reduced in a beta patch a few weeks ago or so. It used to be unusable for me as well, too, due to the IO usage, but now it seems almost no different than with it off in terms of load. It's an important feature to have, so I hope you don't give up on it.

I will do some more testing with it to check. I know that most of the staff wanted it off to help with server performance, but if its fixed, now I will see about getting it turned on.