Hutch (DayZ)

How to holster or lower your weapon?

So I've been playing this long enough that I feel like I have it pretty well figured out.

But I'm not sure if I'm missing something in regards to lowering your weapon.

Double taping CTRL seems to lower your rifle but it doesn't work with a pistol.

Even so I think it's just changing your stance and your rifle is still pointing forward.

I have a TrackIR so I can aim at the ground and still look forward or anywhere without changing my aim but it looks pretty strange with my guy bent forward and craning his neck back up

I know you can hold ALT and free look but it's not easy using the keyboard to aim at the ground and still move and look anywhere without raising your weapon.

So does anyone have any creative suggestion on how best to keep your weapon pointed in a non threatening direction?

Besides just facing away from them?

In Arma 2 OA, there's an animation that holsters your pistol, it's not in DayZ unless you're switch to your rifle.

Hostler Weapon (toggle) can be set in your controls. It lowers your rifle into a position where if you clicked fire it would not fire, but raise the weapon to a firing position, so it creates a delay in trying to shoot somebody. I'm pretty sure you can do it for the pistol too, you hold it with both hands pointing upwards like james bond.