Sign in to follow this  
Lennsik

Why we're losing players.

It's mid-August. School/college kicks back up for a lot of our playerbase.

that or dem l337 h4x0rz r rooining my play cuz i cant change servers

Yeah i think its a combination of both. I barely play on public servers anymore. Its just not worth the effort when a hacker can come in and kill you in 2 seconds.

Yup, we seem to be both gaining and losing players at the same time. It's some crazy shit.

That's a factor but I also think that the hype about DayZ has slowed down too in terms of the mod since there is only so much you can do with it.

A lot of players are being deterred because of the glitch/hacking issues too I suppose and the announcement that a standalone has come out may have put people on stand-by until the "real game" comes out.

Otherwise It's still successful as hell and is doing fine. Interested has successfully be drummed up and the standalone is in development with rocket's blasters at full propulsion.

Edited by Booker
  • Like 1

...Wow, well shit. You guys actually brought some legitimate issues I've seen before. I'm both humbled and confused, where have you all been?

• Like 1

I know myself that the game is dieing (from my stand point)as it's the same old thing over and over and I have alot of community members who just don't play anymore because they say it's just getting boring, and with the PlanetSide 2 beta out and some others alot of people have been moving on to new things.

Edited by Drunklesk

Things will get better from here. Not only are the children going back to school, but the hackers will get bored eventually and leave/get banned (obviously not all of them, but the first wave is always the worst). I forsee DayZ taking off again very shortly, hopefully 1.7.3 will be the first step.

There is no definitive evidence that we are losing players.

Players per-24 is an incredibly deceptive stat.

300,000 fresh players will probably be playing every single day, so PP24 would be 300k.

Those same 300k players might still be playing, but only once every 2-3 days which means PP24 suddenly tanks even though nobody has "quit."

ARMA 2 is still a top seller on Steam and we're still gaining 50k new uniques per week.

So I think it's not such a bad sign that maybe some people are taking a day off here and there.

It's worth discussing but it's not quite "the sky is falling" level is what I'm saying.

People do get bored. It's an Alpha and an early one at that. It's easy to exhaust all there is to do in the game as it stands.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

The game has definitely lost some of its shine for me. Mainly its the graphics glitches. Game runs great since many patches ago and the constant die/spawn is fine, but dying because someone is looking at me and doesn't see glitches behind them is rather disappointing.

It happens to every new thing.

People get excited , play it too much and take a break. Alot will come back and alot won't , it just needs to find the balance.

I wouldn't say alot of people have quit because of hackers , if they have then i'm glad they were gone. They obviously had issues regarding loss of non-existing equipment.

Anyone I know that's stopped playing or is playing less is doing so because of the hacking.

At this stage is very difficult, if not impossible for an honest player to play at all.

It's god mode/invisible/flying into the sky on every server.

Actually there is 52% less players on peak time than month ago.

Also there is coming new servers all the time, atm there is one server for every 6 player on PEAK times, on quiet times its like 2 players per server.

Also gamespy did some weird shit with server browser and some issues on BIS code too which caused that people couldnt find their "homeserver".

..and ofc new games like csgo, planetside etc. so many reasons :o

Edited by Soppa

GW2 releases in a few weeks. Your gonna lose a lot then as well. Least the Daily numbers will shift.

This morning i encountered a bug that meant i needed to die so i was running to some place i would be able to get my gear back and then it just hit me like a bus (not falling from the sky xD), Why am i even wanting to get my items back?

We have all at least once been a victim of a script kiddie and over the last 8 days i have had this Mod i have been killed 6 times by one and that got me thinking why don't i just run around Cherno like a madman with a AKM and not even care about surviving. Until the standalone comes out the game is just like unreal tournament just with bad graphics, I still love the game but i don't even care about dying or trying to stay alive for a week or two.

Since nothing can be done about the hackers until the standalone comes out i don't think ill be playing much only if i get bored now and then. Its a real shame because i fell in love with this Mod but it kept me happy for 8 days and i feel like i have got my moneys worth from Arma 2, can't wait for the Standalone :D

Edited by D3nty

Since nothing can be done about the hackers until the standalone comes out i don't think ill be playing much only if i get bored now and then. Its a real shame because i fell in love with this Mod but it kept me happy for 8 days and i feel like i have got my moneys worth from Arma 2, can't wait for the Standalone :D

Actually there is thousands of new bans initiated in last few days, admins finally got some "tools" against cheaters/hackers.

Edited by Soppa

It's a combination of the summer ending, people having lives ouside their house (unlike me), not necessarily playing DayZ every day (haven't played in 3 days, does that mean I have stopped playing) and possibly other things too. 2 months ago I would have added "full servers" to the list but at least in Europe that is no longer a problem.