Sign in to follow this  
Reader

My ideas for the mod/stand alone (Sniping, organised PVP)

I love the game and while playing my friends and I have thought of some ideas, some probably have already been suggested.

Prepare for a wall of text.

I see a lot of complaints about the sniping in the major cities, killing lesser geared players. I believe this is because once you are geared there isn't much to do up North.

I have two main ideas to combat the camping snipers at major cities;

Server Wide Random Events (Real crashing choppers)

The crashed helicopters in the current version of the game are boring. I believe that these crashes should happen right before your eyes, imagine;

You hear explosions, the sky lights up, you hear an explosion and see black smoke up north. This is what you and your squad have been waiting for, a helicopter has crashed dropping rare loot similar to how it does in the current version of the mod.

However now they drop in random locations every hour or so, and it's a race between all the squads online to get to the chopper first and loot it. This will bring geared squads away from the coast, especially if the choppers offer very rare rewards not offered anywhere else in the game. I believe this will bring a degree of organised PvP to the game, where squads will practice there routine and roles for securing freshly crashed helicopters, it will require squad members to adopt different roles, no longer can you all sit in the hills and snipe, someone has to get to the chopper and loot it with an assault rifle whilst the marks men in your squad provide cover from other squads making there way to the crash site.

This idea could be expanded more with possibly using the radio to call out the co-ords of the crash sites as they happen, you hear and see the explosions in the sky, and you hear a mayday call over your radio from a military helicopter going down.

Alternatively, just simply mark the freshly downed helicopter on the map, perhaps only if you have a GPS. The main aim of this idea is to add some real time events to the game and bring some organised PvP away from the coast.

Perhaps also you have say 10 minutes to be able to repair the chopper and claim it as your own, imagine squads stockpiling helicopter and vehicle parts in preperation for the next downed chopper, this would bring new value to the vehicle parts as currently there is no need to pick them up and hope you randomly run into a fixable chopper since it's currently so rare.

I don't believe this would result in too many choppers either, because so many choppers would be lost in the heat of the battle it would be rare to take out all the opposing squads attempting to claim the loot and safelty repair and refuel the chopper to get away.

Could also add miltary plane crashes for even rarer loot, maybe only two a day.

Thermal Scopes (L85 and AS50 TWS)

I believe the L85 thermal scope should be left in the game and the AS50 TWS thermal should be brought back but both altered.

The thermal scopes should only show stationary players and not moving players. Think of it as the thermal scope will pick up the build up of heat from a camping prone sniper in Elektro taking out new players, but players that are running will barely be picked up on the scope, or not at all. I think this would help with the amount of snipers at the coast and encourage players to keep moving, and also prevant a lot of the "noob" killing from hills around major cities that is happening currently.

Losing Blood and Colour

I like that you gradually lose colour as you lose blood. But the difference between 10,000 blood and 12,000 is even noticable, which means you spend most of your time never playing the game in the full colour as intended due to damage from zombies. I don't think there should be any colour loss at all until around 6,000/8,000 blood. The game looks great in full colour and we should see more of it.

I will add more soon, hope some of you like these ideas and they haven't been posted too many times before.

Looking forward to stand-alone.

Edited by Reader

Not bad at all love the idea. 1 problem though. Looted a rare chopper crash. Got kick ass gear. Maybe find another 2 or 3 choppers and able to take it... Yay fully new rare gear...So now what? lets head to the coast and kill newbies...It will put alot of new cool stuff into dayZ but wont help the KoS the noobs on the beach problem.

Also why not crashed trains? that can be repaired and used for transport... or just a crashed train with tons of zombies around it and some good loot. We got the railways but nothing on it.

Yet the game is still in alpha stage... hope to see it all grow into the game we hope it will be growing in to... and not some cheap call of duty shootout game..

What i think would be cool is a new map around the dessert or one big city with shopping malls. Or just seasons in the map where it becomes winter and such with new items as winter cammo, claymore's, sandbags. Add in cash that u can loot from zombies or players. So u can sell ur gear for money and use the money to buy other stuff like for sample use it at a coke machine to get some drinks out of it, or a npc where u can buy some equipment like new hats or glasses, cammo suits. But like i said its alpha... Still alot to come and we can only wait at this moment to see what they will add in for our satisfaction. and our game addiction

Totally agree with the first random events thing, it would be awesome.

Thermal scope nerfing, i dont agree with this. It is both unrealistic (arma2 is a war simulator) and weird to implement. I know that noob sniping/killing is getting out of hand but to nerf the thermal scopes in that way is just weird. I would personally suggest that they take away the the idea of a thermal SCOPE, give the L85 it's true SUSAT or ACOG and actually make the thermal imagery a binocular/rangefinder item and have it as rare as NVGs. This way, you have the L85 as a less-rare gun, but still give it a cool scope but then make players choose between 2 slots, for example: NVGs and a thermal monocular/binoculars or NVGs and Rangefinder.

The colour loss I completely agree with, DayZ looks great at 12,000 full colour and as soon as you get hit by a zombie and bleed, the game starts to look like de-saturated shit. It should only start de-saturating at 6/8k blood, that'll make the game feel and look alot better

Not bad at all love the idea. 1 problem though. Looted a rare chopper crash. Got kick ass gear. Maybe find another 2 or 3 choppers and able to take it... Yay fully new rare gear...So now what? lets head to the coast and kill newbies...It will put alot of new cool stuff into dayZ but wont help the KoS the noobs on the beach problem.

Also why not crashed trains? that can be repaired and used for transport... or just a crashed train with tons of zombies around it and some good loot. We got the railways but nothing on it.

Yet the game is still in alpha stage... hope to see it all grow into the game we hope it will be growing in to... and not some cheap call of duty shootout game..

What i think would be cool is a new map around the dessert or one big city with shopping malls. Or just seasons in the map where it becomes winter and such with new items as winter cammo, claymore's, sandbags. Add in cash that u can loot from zombies or players. So u can sell ur gear for money and use the money to buy other stuff like for sample use it at a coke machine to get some drinks out of it, or a npc where u can buy some equipment like new hats or glasses, cammo suits. But like i said its alpha... Still alot to come and we can only wait at this moment to see what they will add in for our satisfaction. and our game addiction

Crashed trains is an awesome idea, there's endless options for random events such as simply military vehicle crashes that are overrun with zombies on the road with loot on board.

And I agree that eventually people will get too geared up and return to the coast, but I think the more for people to enjoy and battle over up north the better chances of reducing it.

Totally agree with the first random events thing, it would be awesome.

Thermal scope nerfing, i dont agree with this. It is both unrealistic (arma2 is a war simulator) and weird to implement. I know that noob sniping/killing is getting out of hand but to nerf the thermal scopes in that way is just weird. I would personally suggest that they take away the the idea of a thermal SCOPE, give the L85 it's true SUSAT or ACOG and actually make the thermal imagery a binocular/rangefinder item and have it as rare as NVGs. This way, you have the L85 as a less-rare gun, but still give it a cool scope but then make players choose between 2 slots, for example: NVGs and a thermal monocular/binoculars or NVGs and Rangefinder.

The colour loss I completely agree with, DayZ looks great at 12,000 full colour and as soon as you get hit by a zombie and bleed, the game starts to look like de-saturated shit. It should only start de-saturating at 6/8k blood, that'll make the game feel and look alot better

I like that idea, something similar to a range finder with toggle-able thermal would be great instead of thermal scopes on guns.