bonafide

Anyone think the aiming in Arma is strange?

Shoot me, I bought the game for the mod (Ive been dying for a survival horror zombie game like this) and does anyone else think the aiming is really weird? I turned off mouse smoothing to remove the worst of it but its still a bit strange. I also dislike the walking mechanics, the way the character lunges while walking, very annoying.

It did seem weird at first, but I adjusted the smoothing and now I'm very comfortable with it.

also make sure you turn down "head bobbing" in game options..

Shoot me' date=' I bought the game for the mod (Ive been dying for a survival horror zombie game like this) and does anyone else think the aiming is really weird? I turned off mouse smoothing to remove the worst of it but its still a bit strange. I also dislike the walking mechanics, the way the character lunges while walking, very annoying.

[/quote']

Simulator.

you can change the gun floating and the "head bobbing" in gameplay settigns

Also make sure to turn off your CoD/BF/CS player mod. You wont run hopping giving headshots to people, actually, as we are talking about simulators (that is what you guys bought) aiming irl is quite harder than in ArmA

aiming irl is quite harder than in ArmA

Not really... much easier tbh, no awkward animations or strange limitations IRL.

Yh, irl giving accurate shots at 300+m its way easy.

I have to agree with you about its limitations but the strange limitations are limitations of ArmA 2 engine, you get used to them when you get the point of the game.

Yes, they're the limitations of the ArmA 2 engine. That doesn't make them any less limiting and getting used to them doesn't mean they're not there.

Long range shooting is easier in ArmA 2, but close/medium ranged shots are easier IRL, if we're not talking about just standing still and shooting in ArmA 2.

Also make sure to turn off your CoD/BF/CS player mod. You wont run hopping giving headshots to people' date=' actually, as we are talking about simulators (that is what you guys bought) aiming irl is quite harder than in ArmA

[/quote']

err no its way easier. Having shot a lee enfield (alot) and an MP5 (a little) shooting in real life is waaaay easier than doing it with the mouse.

I agree that shooting in this game is weird. I like playing in third person and I noticed your bullets are about 3 inchs lower then your crosshair. I purchased PMC expansion so I could get higher res textures and started playing singleplayer to better my shooting.

Shoot me' date=' I bought the game for the mod (Ive been dying for a survival horror zombie game like this) and does anyone else think the aiming is really weird? I turned off mouse smoothing to remove the worst of it but its still a bit strange. I also dislike the walking mechanics, the way the character lunges while walking, very annoying.

[/quote']

Simulator.

sorry bro but I dont lunge forward when I walk.

Well guys, I have to say that you're right, its weird at short distances. This mod is made just for that, but I also think that this game isn't.

Actually, this game have loads of bugs and things like this, but imo taking a look at its features it worths it more than any other.

anyone know what the "aiming Deadzone" option in the options menu does?

Set the slider to the middle and you'll instantly notice what it does.

It's like the hip aiming in Red Orchestra 2 but on ArmA levels of clunky.

It's a hard feature to get used to but I love it, I wouldn't use it in PvP environments such as DayZ though as you may be at a disadvantage.

I'll just have to figure it out then lol. Thanks.

Imagine a cone of movement infront of your player, the bigger the deadzone is, the more you can move the mouse without your characters whole body moving... just the weapon.

So for games like CS etc, they would have zero deadzone... as if the gun was welded to your torso.

This system tries to simulate the separation of arm+weapon from the rest of your body.

In stealth situations, combined with a proper head-tracking device it can be a lifesaver

The way I fixed the aiming:

- Turn of smoothing

- Turn off aiming dead zone (this makes aiming much more like conventional FPSs)

- Adjust the sensitivity of the X and Y axis so that the Y axis has a higher sensitivity. One thing that some don't realise is if you set X and Y to have the same sensitivity, the Y axis will actually have much less sensitivity than the X axis. This makes aiming, especially in close quarters, really weird.

Now the aiming is the same as every other FPS (except for the crappy console ports that don't let you turn off their horrible smoothing). I much prefer Arma's aiming system; I like that I can zoom down the sights and can very easily swivel my head to look around. I wish all games had these features.

Also make sure to turn off your CoD/BF/CS player mod. You wont run hopping giving headshots to people' date=' actually, as we are talking about simulators (that is what you guys bought) aiming irl is quite harder than in ArmA

[/quote']

err no its way easier. Having shot a lee enfield (alot) and an MP5 (a little) shooting in real life is waaaay easier than doing it with the mouse.

I own a Lee Enfield aswell.

You can't tell me the 300m (My objective was infront of the target and I was 330m from the objective) shot I made in Arma 2.. The first time I picked up the rifle I could have made the first time using my rifle IRL.

You miss ALOT of the mechanics of shooting in the game. Many people cannot hold a steady accurate sight picture. (Or how that sight picture was designed, as some are quite different) Most don't know the correct stances, or weighting. Nevermind breathing. What about left eye dominant people?

Close range shooting? I definitely think its easier in real life. Long range, Arma takes most of the complexity out. I actually use a pretty high deadzone which most people dislike, but I love it!

Most accurate sight picture I've seen in a game is probably Red Orchestra 2. Red Orchestra also has great Nazi/Commie trash talk.

Arma seems to accurately portray bullet flight paths, which, despite shooting assault rifles for a living, still takes getting used to in a video game. Most games have perfectly flat flight paths and bullets with unlimited range. I prefer servers without crosshairs, even though blasting zombies at 50 meters with a pistol shot from the hip like James Cagney is great fun, it's 100% bullcrap. Also if you've ever tried just walking and shooting, you're limiting your effective range to about...across the street, max, for the average person. That's why we have grenade launchers...and Bradleys. Most people aren't starring in a wild-west show.

Sound tactical planning include a thoughtful consideration of your physical condition when you prepare to shoot- not just where you and your target are. Thats why I like how the heavy breathing and shock in some of these games have a distinct effect on your sight picture.

I agree that shooting in this game is weird. I like playing in third person and I noticed your bullets are about 3 inchs lower then your crosshair. I purchased PMC expansion so I could get higher res textures and started playing singleplayer to better my shooting.

Bullets being "lower than your crosshair", that's because the barrel is located below the sights.

The further away you are, the less of an effect this will have, but if you're way up in the face or an enemy, or even worse, if you're trying to shoot in an upwards angle, you'll see a massive difference and that forces you to aim higher than you otherwise would.

It's just a matter of being used to all the other games, which basically fire the bullet out of the sight, and not the barrel.