Archaik

Confused about Locked servers vs. hackers

I've been through my fair share of servers that were being hacked and I for one am sick of the bullshit that happens. It seems like all the small kids now have these so easy to find hacks and make DayZ a living hell for those that want to play fairly. Now what really ticks me off are the people that post on these forums about locked servers and how its all against the TOS and crap. YES i do understand it's under TOS to NOT lock your server or kick others, but in all honesty some people just do not want to be hacked. It's stupid as balls when u try to combat hacking (which is against TOS btw) with locking their server (which is also against TOS) but I see more servers getting BLed faster than players getting banned for hacking.

On the counter arguement: I fully understand that some clans/people are on their own locked server, grind up all the best gear and vehicles, and then switch to other servers and troll people. While that is wrong and very shitty, not everyone who locks their server wishes to do this. Please don't be naive and think this every time someone wishes to play alone.

Some solutions I propose:

1.) For Clan servers have separate files that save TO THE SERVER instead of client side, so gear cannot be carried over to other servers.

2.) Hand in hand with the above, allow for HIVE disconnecting so that players may play on their own server without worrying about hackers and such. (Direct IP connect?)

3.) Get a different Anti-cheat. Battle-eye is terrible from what I've seen =(

DayZ is in Alpha and I know Rocket has some plans in the future to combat hackers and such but I am only here to put my 2 cents in. Please comment on how you feel about this.

Edited by Archaik

this kind of topic has been discussed time and time again, tbh i dont think the rules for hosting will change. while we all know about the hacker/script kiddie infestation some times these things can take some time to fix the problem.

you have to remember this is a mod and the problem lies with ARMA2, its a client trusted engine so if you can get around battle eye you can input everything due to the way the game engine works, there is only so much the DayZ team can do and allowed to do when it comes to the core of the engine.

basically you got to be patient and wait for a resolve. also if a hacker is determined enough then they will work away to find away around the system

Edited by Lightvision

So tell me what are the Devs learning? We can't get through an hour of play without a hacker coming in and ruining it. I would think the Devs would want us to be able to play and report back with our finding.

I really liked how when Rocket was doing an interview with a live feed and the game gets hacked his reply was "this is why we should be using PRIVATE servers for live feeds". Then he said we maybe we should allow locking the servers but nothing ever came of that statement.

Now they have again taken away a valuable tool I was using to determine who was hacking (DayZ Radar). Now I don't want to here that server admins were using to cheat because im sure some were. Anytime you put a server admin tool out some immature admims are going to abuse it. The way to solve that problem is to not play in their servers.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy playing Dayz and that s why I decided to get a server and help support the game but I feel like we should be able to password our servers.

It just seems to me that Rocket cares more about the hackers then he does getting good accurate feedback and improving the gameplay.

try looking at this tread its even a sticky too and was posted yesterday too

New Major BattlEye Anti-Cheat Features

EDIT: just feels like people are quick to make a post instead of reading the info thats on the foums, the new scipts.txt and remoteexec.txt and createvehicle.txt files are available and is suggested that server aadmins impliment them. if your a server admin, kinda doubt you are then you should be looking for this kind of info instead of moaning about a known problem to the entire comunity.

i am no server admin but to know the server admin from the server i play on and i brought this to his attention so he can impliment it asap. and as i said already "basically you got to be patient and wait for a resolve. also if a hacker is determined enough then they will work away to find away around the system"

these things dont resolve overnight, and apparently there is big talks on hacker sights about the updated features in the link above. if your not a server admin and know them then feel free to bring stuff like this to thier attention so they can impliment them asap too instead of bitching about it here.

be part of the solution and not part of the problem

Edited by Lightvision