Sign in to follow this  
Shag

Mod development priority

I have been part of the community for a mere two weeks now, and I am very impressed with the rate at which changes are made. This is the sort of effort that can only come form a labour of love - you guys must be over the moon with the response.

You have a very large player base, and the feedback is incredible. These forums are buzzing. There are probably a heap of great ideas that get missed daily.

Onto my point - the new features implemented seem sporadic. It seems interesting little ideas/concepts get implemented, before major features are fully realised. Game mechanics and features in games are related to one another. So it is pointless to assess the impact say zombie numbers and spawn rates, before the behaviour and detection are fully realised. Why would we spend time implementing heat and disease, axes and wood, before we have fully implemented zombies to close to their final state?

Obviously I don't know what dependancies/blockers exist in the project. You may be waiting for Arma patches for some work, you may not have access to source needed to make other changes. So it may be impossible to get the game fundamentals exactly as you want them. In short, I'm sorry if the point I'm making is just 'teaching you to suck eggs'.

However, when playing and feeding my views back on the forum, the major points that hit me in the face when I play seem to be penned in for changing after adding a temperature system.

Perhaps the community could state what priority they place on what issues/features/mechanics?

Perhaps the community could state what priority they place on what issues/features/mechanics?

God, please no.

Let rocket do his thing. I'm pretty sure he's a go a decent idea of the development process.

The mod is in an alpha stage, this means rocket is searching for features which suits the gameplay well. they are little experiments and at this stage rocket tries those little ideas and when he sees they work well, he improves them. To zombie behaviour and so on i think this isn't in rockets might to fix this, but in Bohemia Interactive. Some bugs have to do with the engine, not the mod-coding and as long as it's a mod rocket can't change the engine.

they are little experiments and at this stage rocket tries those little ideas and when he sees they work well' date=' he improves them.

[/quote']

true, but my point was that features are all related. There are many calls for differing zombie numbers, but zombie detection and behaviour aren't realised yet. Shoudl the basics be decided and implemented first before a feature like "zombie herds" be done?

There is an entire sub-forum for this.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7

Er, this is the ideas section. Ideas are valid at any point of the development cycle. This is more project management - should we implement idea a before idea b? Does it make a difference to judging the success of idea C?