IamFriendly (DayZ)

bought a new pc and now this (fps)

hello there,

this becomes really annoying. after 1 month of playing dayZ i realy tried every possible tweak.

the big problems are other survivors, if its in big citys or villages.- on a populatet server with other survivors around i get 3 to 10 fps. i'm into pc's and gaming a long time - i tried out alot.

Around big citys it runs like a charme - i think around 60 to 100fps as it is in arma2 oa all the time..

pc specs:

cpu: AMD Phenom2 x4 965@3.4GHz

gpu AMD HD7770 OC-Version

ram: 8G @1600

Harddisk: Seagate Barracuda 7200

Mainboard: Asus M5A78L-M

interwebz: more than enough bandwidth

Usual i wouldn't open a threat therefore, usual i find the probs myself with google and the forums - but sadly not this time. i accepted that my pc cant handle it, but yesterday i watched a stream (dayzmarine) and saw him havin' mostly the same specs and running dayz without problems.

my startup parameter:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -cpuCount=4 -world=empty -exThreads=7 -malloc=tbb4malloc_bi -noPause -maxMem=2047 -nosplash -mod=@dayz

I had really bad problems with the new betapatch - most of the servers run in slowmode for me. i could only play on older betapatch-server.

after i load chernarus in arma2/oa as a mission and run around, and above that installed the directx which is located in the arma2/oa direction the 95883 servers become playable.

I've the steamversion (15€/weekendsale) and installed all manual. i run arma2 and armaoa both once - like described in the tutorial on this website.

I've installed the latest chipsetdrivers, graficdrivers, sounddrivers.

I FKN love this game and a have to stop runin' thru wilderness - i wanna visit citys =)

please help me!

Its the game itself.

I'm running it on an SSD,6870 CF,1090T @4GHZ and 4GB ram and get that choppy/stutter sensation alot and FPS drop to 3-10.

There seems to be only so much you can do and yet it still struggles.

Your PC Specs. seem to be sufficiant.

I wonder what it can be, are you running all kind of 3rd party boost software or something ?

Have you tweaked the video settings in game ?

Weird, you must have good results with that pc.

Hey,

thanks for that fast response!

It's a brand new pc, 2 weeks old now. Im deep into pc's and its problems since 12 years (fixing it for maaany people/family ect) - so i would never install any boosters or 3rd party stuff! I keep it all clean as hell. aight, and i build it up myself - no preinstalled progs here.

thx 4 tryin to help!

(im going to try ramdisk now - as my harddrive seems to be the slowest part of my pc)

Edited by IamFriendly

It's likely the game but as a fellow pc builder try these

(sorry for sucking eggs)

update drivers

Switch v-sync on/off

Mess around with graphics setting in game and out

worst case, try re-install game :(

double check all connections are in properly (done that so many times lol)

If you know someone with the game try running the game on there and checks there FPS

But like I said, the MOD is funny like that and is most likely the problem :(

What is your fps when play arma online? Without the dayz mod and all?

Did you try the benchmark missions? If so, what do they tell you?

Edited by zeehon23

@zeehon23 - i never played arma2 online so i cant tell and i dont wanna mess anydudes onlinegame, but benchmark 1 tells me my pc is a beast (looks beautiful) and i ve an average fps of 60.

uhm, benchmark 2 givesd me an average fps of 21 :/

Edited by IamFriendly

So it's likely a server issue. Try finding a server that's in your area and that's 1/2 full. Keep on hopping if it keeps lagging. I've got this problem as well on some servers, whilst others run as smooth as water.

I only play on eu/de servers since they are close to me. Most time i have a ping of 15 in worst case 35ms - and i really ask myself why 35 people would (or even could) play on such a server for hours. That's kinda wired.

Tryin now different server.

(fps seemed to increase after installing .net framework 4 - but am not sure about)

thx for helping!

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -cpuCount=4 -world=empty -exThreads=7 -malloc=tbb4malloc_bi -noPause -maxMem=2047 -nosplash -mod=@dayz

have you tried...

...starting it without additional parameters?

...resetting your gfx drivers settings to their defaults? (which exact version do you use? did you install the application profile extension?)

...setting everything to low (or off) in the game's settings?

Do you use the standard microsoft ahci drivers for your sata controller or did you install the amd one with the chipset driver package?

Do you have the "C1E" power saving feature of your cpu enabled or disabled in your bios setup?

Is your anti virus software maybe interfering? (maybe try setting exceptions for the game or disable/uninstall it for testing purposes)

Is your Mainboard and video card bios up to date?

Is Windows up to date? (which version do you use anyways?)

How did you install your latest drivers? Just above the older ones or clean (unistall old ones, reboot, install new ones)?

Are your NIC drivers up to date?

Some of those points may sound redundant or not connected to the problem, but as a long time pc user you should be aware of such things... ;)

Edited by gorg_graggel

The only thing that seems to be the problem here is the servers you join. If you join crappy servers which are typically easy to spot with under 5~ people or so and they lag really badly. You have okay PC specs and certainly shouldn't be lagging at all, but make sure your video drivers are up to date and go into the game and change some settings like video memory to default and other things like that.

I honestly think its the beta update and not a problem on your side. I have this issue relating to steady 40 FPS and going into city's at 5 FPS while on certain betas. Your GPU and everything looks good, so I don't think it was a problem on your side.

have you tried...

...starting it without additional parameters?

...resetting your gfx drivers settings to their defaults? (which exact version do you use? did you install the application profile extension?)

...setting everything to low (or off) in the game's settings?

Do you use the standard microsoft ahci drivers for your sata controller or did you install the amd one with the chipset driver package?

Do you have the "C1E" power saving feature of your cpu enabled or disabled in your bios setup?

Is your anti virus software maybe interfering? (maybe try setting exceptions for the game or disable/uninstall it for testing purposes)

Is your Mainboard and video card bios up to date?

Is Windows up to date? (which version do you use anyways?)

How did you install your latest drivers? Just above the older ones or clean (unistall old ones, reboot, install new ones)?

Are your NIC drivers up to date?

Some of those points may sound redundant or not connected to the problem, but as a long time pc user you should be aware of such things... ;)

yes, i tried all ingame and 3d settings, i tried also without those startup parameters - experimented like hell, but this posted gave me the most fps boost

i have the latest graphics and sound driver (12.6 amd vision for graphic)

i run windows 7 64bit version (home)

Do you use the standard microsoft ahci drivers for your sata controller or did you install the amd one with the chipset driver package? if you are talking about the IDE ATA/ATAPI-Controller driver can be found thru devicemanager:

its a windows driver from 2006 - version 6.1.7601.17514

i told my bios to run the pc at full throttle - i checked it with a system monitor - cpu and gpu running like it should be

mainboard and gpu bios up to date

all drivers and software are installed clean at all - i never would install above

nic driver is up to date also

I honestly think its the beta update and not a problem on your side. I have this issue relating to steady 40 FPS and going into city's at 5 FPS while on certain betas. Your GPU and everything looks good, so I don't think it was a problem on your side.

This problem apears from the 1st sec of playin dayZ - so it was before the new beata patch was released (i'm playing since a few weeks)

quite the same setup here : got 60 FPS and 30 in cities. Only after making those changes : http://pastebin.com/F7Q8Ne2i

these are really working, so give it a try. The game is badly optimized - it took my a new PC also to get it run. Maybe those setting would help me on my laptop, but I never made it before buying the new thing.

also get Dayz Commander : it helps to keep dayz and armaII updated.

-keep on slay keep on scavenge

i am finally on a full server, directly in elektro and what can i say - it's smooth duuudes!!

the big thing was (seems like) to install .net framework 4 and/or loading chernarus in arma2/oa as a mission (in singleplayer) and run/drive thru the map..

i'm going to try different server and post the result

Biggest changes which causes the low fps to disapear seemed like this:

- i made a all windowsupdates (not the securityones but the stabilityones - i figured out there were a few from 2010 which had to be updated)

- can't say if it was arma2 or arma2/oa i loaded the map in

- i did the ramdisk tweak as descripted in the youtube video (only dayZ folder)

Edited by IamFriendly

i am finally on a full server, directly in elektro and what can i say - it's smooth duuudes!!

the big thing was (seems like) to install .net framework 4 and/or loading chernarus in arma2/oa as a mission (in singleplayer) and run/drive thru the map..

[...]

- i made a all windowsupdates (not the securityones but the stabilityones - i figured out there were a few from 2010 which had to be updated)

[...]

graz! :D

thought i find it odd that .net made any difference...does arma even use that? i think .net 4 was released long after arma2 itself...

regarding the windows updates:

you don't do security updates regularly?

if i were you i would think about that.

you should ALWAYS do AT LEAST the security updates. most exploits around are based on the fact that ppl don't keep windows up to date and some security hole is used to infect it...virus protection won't save you from that...

the times where some windows update bricked your pc somehow are long gone (well never say never, but i think ms have learned their lessons in that regard...)

i have windows 7 since it was released and until 2 months ago, when i upgraded my pc, never had to reinstall it. during all that time NEVER EVER had an update somehow negatively impact my pc. and i ALWAYS install ALL updates, even the optional ones...

edit:

oh yeah, amd just released catalyst 12.8 (no release notes yet though)...

you might want to install those...maybe they fixed something that gives you even more frames (or make it worse :P )...

anyways, also install the 12.7 cap3 profiles... the ones included in the drivers are a few months older than the ones in the cap package...

they are not available through the official page yet though, you can get them from here:

http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A//www.planet3dnow.de/cgi-bin/newspub/viewnews.cgi%3Fid%3D1345045284&sl=de&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

it's a german site translated through google...don't worry it's trustworthy ;)

Edited by gorg_graggel

thanks for the hint, i think about that gorg!

after hours of playing with niiice frames even in big cities and alot of players around me =)

but after the typical graphic glitch apeared, i had to restart the game. now my gpu usuage doesn't pass the 30% mark =( and here i have my old framerate back. i've been to 4 or 5 servers all without probs, no clue if it is caused by serversettings or anything else. my cpu/gpu isn't overheated at all.

maybe i'm goin' to try the new driver but i preffer not to, i really think it depend on something else.

thanks for help dudes!

i figured out that my graphic card stuck at 300mhz instead of 1020 oO maybe this was the only prob i ever had

i have no clue anymore, it seems to apear randomly from server to server from restart to restart,,,

=(

Edited by IamFriendly

I hope the dudes with same probs as me could read this.

After hours about hours of testing, parameters, tweaks and a TON of server i can say:

IT'S A FKN SERVER-ISSUE i really can't tell why so many ppl keep on playin on those...

but for some kind of reason a TON of server are so bad configured that it causes my

Phenom x4 965

MSI HD7770OC

8G Ram (1600)

to use only 30% of my pc's power

nothing else works FOR SURE

(kk it#s kinda combination of the server and the game)

Server with good config and around 20 people = 70FPS (lowest ever on those good servers) up to AMAZING 100FPS

Server with bad config and around 20 people = 20FPS up to 40FPS (starring at a wall inside a house..)

I didn't believe this "it's a server prob" at all - just couldn't imaging. now i know and finally can play relaxed - just write down bad servers in a editor and sing em "bad" and maybe try from time to time maybe the admin did a job to improve.

odd, i never have experienced client performance varying between servers (i don't say it's impossible, just never experienced)...

granted, my system is very fast and it's always butter smooth, no matter how i set gfx options.

so i guess i have a lot of reserves, but such dips in performance should be noticable.

i'll try to look into that when i get home...

Uhm, seems like reconnect from the lobby is a bad idea. i had to help a flatmate for a minute as i connected back i had 20fps and a gpu workin on 20% dont wanna step up... soooo

next round of researchin =(

maybe the hive can't handle my data or whaaat slows me down

the time before i spawn into the game - as long as it's loading my gpu is workin at full speed for all the time,

but why it slows dont ingame? oO even in areas without house/vehicle ect its working with up to 60% which

gives me 70fps. when i get close to cherno or elektro it slows down again.

could it be an ecco tweak or is it the game, have no clue - i read a bunch of forums even the dev ones

Edited by IamFriendly

i need to revise my last comment regarding performance dependence on servers.

just made the experience myself...and i wasn't even in a big city, just on the entrance to komavoro hidden in the trees...

i have to chime in with ppl saying, it's the game itself, since i can't explain it otherwise...

my pc is rather powerful (i7 3770k, 16gb ram, radeon 7970), which i always keep tidy and up to date, so i doubt it's on the user's end...

question remains if it's the beta or the mod...

regarding your problem with tanking fps when close to cities and/or players i would think it's some setting either in the in game video options and/or in your catalyst control panel...

if you haven't already done it, open the ccc and in 3d game settings revert everything to default settings and then in game disable anti aliasing, shadows, post processing, fxaa, set hdr to normal and video memory to default and then try a few servers... most servers are on 95883/1.7.2.5 as of yet, so that should be your version too.

or you could set everything to low (or off where available) and work your way up setting by setting until you hit your desired performance.

server shouldn't be one of those where you get bad performance everywhere and you should be in an area that gives you bad fps.

also don't use any tool that uses an overlay to display fps or other info...this sometimes causes problems in other games too...

...or, erm...did you try completely reinstalling arma2 an oa as of yet? maybe it's just some corrupted file, a borked install or something like that...