Sign in to follow this  
Hesher (DayZ)

Panic or Stress?

Hey, I think the panic idea isnt that good, I remember Rocket saying not having some things is better and I think panic is one of them. The reason is, it will never be in sync with players, I mean why my charachter is panicking when Im not? he is screaming and shaking when I have the situation under control . On top of that every person is different for someone 30 zombies rushing your building is nothing to worry about for others its "oh shit" moment which also depends on experience. I mean we have the emotional responses in real life and having artificial screaming wont help it, but on contrary might even ruin the experience by disconnecting you from your character.

Imo stress sounds more reasonable, have a bar for it and it will build up over time due to different encounters with zombies, players, walking at night... You can reduce stress by smoking, sitting near fire with other people or take drugs? or something like that.

Stress makes more sense than panic because everyone gets stressed, even veteran soldiers but they dont panic. So the more days you survive the slower stress is accumulating due to experience of surviving etc.

But overall having none of them is better than having panic.

i definitely agree that a character's mental state should be in sync with the player's. forcing a character to panic when he has a SAW and is barricaded in a bunker mowing down zombies makes no sense.

however, as i said mental state should not be forced upon a character. therefore, stress is also a bad idea.

i definitely agree that a character's mental state should be in sync with the player's. forcing a character to panic when he has a SAW and is barricaded in a bunker mowing down zombies makes no sense.

however' date=' as i said mental state should not be forced upon a character. therefore, stress is also a bad idea.

[/quote']

But I think it would hard to implement that. And rocket has to focus on more vital things for the game.

Here's my 2cents on this. You say "why is my character panicking when I'm not?" YOU are not panicking because you are sitting behind your computer monitor at home not in a zombie apocalypse. Your avatar is in a zombie apocalypse with a zed right on his ass. If you were in that situation i bet you would panic to. It compensates for the calmness you get from not really being in that situation.

Here's my 2cents on this. You say "why is my character panicking when I'm not?" YOU are not panicking because you are sitting behind your computer monitor at home not in a zombie apocalypse. Your avatar is in a zombie apocalypse with a zed right on his ass. If you were in that situation i bet you would panic to. It compensates for the calmness you get from not really being in that situation.

flawed logic, you do panic in real life when your precious gear is in danger and perhaps on that exact moment the panic script just wont trigger. therefore, you should only panic IRL.

flawed logic' date=' you do panic in real life when your precious gear is in danger and perhaps on that exact moment the panic script just wont trigger. therefore, you should only panic IRL.

[/quote']

This exactly, Im playing dayz since there were only 3 servers and I still "panic" IRL, ofc not as often now but thats due to experience and knowing the game well but thats what makes it annoying when your avatar is living his "own" experience, thus the emotional disconnection with the game so to say.

But yea I proposed stress as a better alternative imo but not a necessity.

Why does it have to bound to the player? You are not getting hungry or cold either, you are not bleeding in real life when you bleed in game? Why would it be different with panic? I dont get it? Do you ever think about stuff before you make a thread?

Your logic is fail.

Guest ragequitalready

Edited by ragequitalready