revcasy

geometric respawn timer

For your consideration:

First death, wait 8 seconds to respawn, second 16 sec, 32 sec, 64 sec (~1 minute), 2 min, 4 min, 8 min, 16 min, 32 min, 64 (~1hour), 2 hr, 4, hr, 8 hr, etc...

So, here is a mechanic to make death harsher. This simultaneously limits the bean wars, penalizes sloppy play, and makes banditry much riskier. This targets everyone without singling out one group, ratchets up the tension even more, yet makes allowances for a learning curve for new players. The respawn time does not really become significant until 8-16 minutes (7th or 8th life), and even after 13 lives just means you have to take the rest of the day off more or less (something I am apt to do anyway when I die). This is also easily adjustable by the devs; all you have to do is instead of starting at 8 seconds, you start with 1 second, or 2 seconds and this effectively adds extra lives before the penalty becomes significant.

Anyway, just an idea, I am sure I am overlooking some downside/s.

rev

I play a fair bit - when I take a life seriously I live for forty hours

when I get killed by a glitch and lose my entire arsenal I just want to run around and shoot anything that moves, and I don't want to wait 64 hours just to have some stupid release

tl:dr respawn delay timers are worse than most anti-PvP suggestions, people need to accept that this is a PvP game, read up on the prisoners' dilemma and stop crying

So you are saying that making death harsher would keep you from playing like that after you die? Thank you for confirming my theory. =)

it would keep me from spending ten minutes being blaze', and then it would keep me from playing period for FUCKING WEEKS because I play a fair amount of Day Z and I have died a lot (mostly [like 80% plus] from glitches)

Yeah, I get that. Maybe a cap at 8 hours?

Anyway, personally I don't mind the pvp per se. I look at this as more a theoretical exercise than anything. If rocket decides to add a mechanic that forces people to take their gameplay more seriously, then this is a good way to do it, but it's up to him. I don't actually care.

I haven't died in 5 days, and I play a lot. 90% of the time when I do die, it's because of a stupid mistake where I deserve to die, or a glitch. Bandits only factor into the way I play as a threat, not a reality. *shrug*

'a cap at 8 hours'

ie, the next day

again, ridiculous

I would just buy another ARMA cd key

I would just buy another ARMA cd key

Well you're just making more of a case for this timer with every post, if we give you a death timer you cant immediately return and start PK'ing just cause you died to a glitch, and this might give you the time needed to calm down. And if you decide you NEED to play NOW and kill someone then you buy another ARMA key and Bohemia makes more money.... WIN WIN!

I like the idea personally, it does exactly as stated, makes life more valuable so people think harder about their actions and is light enough to account for learning curve and glitches. If a zombie glitches through a barrel and kills you, you have to wait 8 seconds, is that really too much for you to handle? If this happens 15 times in the same day then it's more a question of if the glitches are ruining your day (by making you wait) or if you're too dumb to not hide behind barrels when zombies are chasing you as you learned with your previous deaths.

This idea is crazy. Goes right on to the "worst ideas" pile.

Obscure, or overly punishing mechanics do not = Challenge. Challenging scenarios = Challenge. Removing your player-base from the game is, and I'm putting this nicely. Retarded.

Yeah' date=' I get that. Maybe a cap at 8 hours?

Anyway, personally I don't mind the pvp per se. I look at this as more a theoretical exercise than anything. If rocket decides to add a mechanic that forces people to take their gameplay more seriously, then this is a good way to do it, but it's up to him. I don't actually care.

I haven't died in 5 days, and I play a lot. 90% of the time when I do die, it's because of a stupid mistake where I deserve to die, or a glitch. Bandits only factor into the way I play as a threat, not a reality. *shrug*

[/quote']

It's a good mechanic because it's outside of your game life and doesn't make any judgements (you should NOT get a bigger penalty for being a bandit, for example). Really, you shouldn't have any respawn at all when you die but then nobody would want to play. The ability to respawn is a gift.

I used to play America's Army and there was no respawn. If you were killed in the first 5 seconds, you had to wait out the whole game and just accept it.

When I play ArmA2 ops with my realsim clan, only a medic can treat you and if he doesn't show up then you are toast. OK you get 1 morphine but that's it. Ops last 3 hours and even if a medic gets to you, you had to wait quite a long time to get back into the action. I'm not used to these casual games where you die, respawn, die again and just keep respawning.

Die 15 times and be locked out for 3 days! Die 20 times and be locked out for 97 days! It's fun! Somehow!

Everyone will just quit. Nobody's coming back after a glitch sends them away for 3 months.

Die 15 times and be locked out for 3 days! Die 20 times and be locked out for 97 days! It's fun! Somehow!

Everyone will just quit. Nobody's coming back after a glitch sends them away for 3 months.

I think you didn't read the post, there was a suggestion of a cap in the amount of time you could be locked out, not a never ending, progressively worse, lockout.

Also I made the suggestion that this lockout timer resets daily and is only meant to make death harsher to make people consider their actions more firmly before committing to running around sprinting through towns.

Everyone will quit you say, for not being able to play for a few hours (which only happens if you are so terrible at the game you die 13 times in the same day)? I wouldn't quit, and I'm pretty sure the OP wouldn't quit, are we not part of everyone? I believe if a person dies that many times in the first day of a character they probably wont stick around regardless as the game is too hardcore for them.

I agree with OP, but only in the same day.

People who loves to hit respawn 'until i spawn in cherno' would have a bad day.

Next day it resets back to zero