evoxtom

Improvements for authenticity AND fun factor

Hey guys, I'm here again to offer more ideas. I have many that have already been listed before but felt the need to add detail to them. Excuse the typos, I hate the iPhones keypad.

1. WEAPON JAMMING

We all know guns are prone to JAMS due to gun condition and wear. Guns should not break in this game.

Guns should all have varying degrees of "condition" when picked up. This can be a randomly generated condition number (say like 50% worn) when the loot spawns in. This will make no two guns alike.

Guns should be able to be cleaned to bump that % number lower, maybe with a rare "cleaning kit" in game. Otherwise, the higher % of wear a gun has, the more chances of a jam per shot.

Ak's should have a slower climb in wear; sniper rifles (except svd) and AR's should have faster rates. Pistols should have lower rates than rifles for a trade off. (game sake)

2. TELL-TALE EVENTS

I'm basically asking for lore here. No live NPC's. Events that tell stories include:

a. "death highway" : maybe during the outbreak one of the major cities road out was bottlenecked (would happen) as people tried to leave. This would give more space for loot possibilities- in live cars (out of gas), on the floor, on dead bodies (clothing items.)

b. Military checkpoints : overrun checkpoints at some rural intersections tell a story of how government tried to handle the situation. This could set up locations for npc notes or radio logs describing what happened. (these would spawn very,VERY worn rifles and handguns to match the struggle the checkpoint ensued with dead bodies skewn about.)

c. Supply convoys : here's your new crashed heli with random food drops and mid-tier weaponry in the destroyed hummers. These would be scattered randomly on roads much like heli's. Also a chance of military clothing items or harnesses.

d. Urban myths : give us a rare Easter egg from one of many myths. Example, 1 elusive zombie barely seen before its gone but makes a strange noise in the woods; green mountain DOES make your radio go crazy or jam in game; 1 city may have a under ground lab not seen easily (no loot, just a radio log or note.) maybe a mass grave comes to life OR grabs you randomly at times if you run over it.

3. INVENTORY

I believe there should be two backpack like spaces: harness and the backpack. Harnesses should be placed (like backpacks in markets) in miltary areas. This will give a place to hold your mags more efficiently. It should also give a reload speed boost. They should come in diff sizes.

As for general inventory, we should have the ease of drag and drop, and hokey access to certain places of inventory while on the move. (I.e- accessing your harness or backpack on the move with a small pop up menu.) if you want to check total inventory, you should have to stop moving as now.

4. MORE REGION SPECIFIC GUNS

Self explanatory. More Russian weapons or give reason why American weaponry is laying around. (possible UN or allied force aid in containment? Again, adding to lore.)

5. INFECTED PLAYERS

Allow people to become infected. A bite has a % to turn you gradually. This means you begin to cough (are you sick or infected?) then your screen flashes from time to time in a blurr effect. Your character shudders audibly a day later. There are pills that reside in supply convoys. You and your friends must find them. Otherwise, a NPC zombie spawns 5 mins after your death as a tougher one- maybe three times the Hp? It does not despawn after so long, instead it wanders anywhere. This can be prevented by burning said player body before 5 mins.

More ideas to come...

• Like 7

I was trying to find a meme that said "Like ALL the ideas" but couldn't find one. Instead, imagine that meme.

Edit- thank you.

Edited by evoxtom
  • Like 1

Came up with 3 more, one I had posted earlier in another thread

6. RESTORING POWER

Every city should be allowed to have power restored.

How: generators. First, this should require a group effort. Maybe someone on the fuse/ciruicut breaker box, while another player fuels/cranks the generator. When you finally get the generator to power up, a section of the city lights up.

Why: when a section of a city is "on," it should destroy its low to mid grade loot inside lit buildings. Now it spawns mid to high grade loot (fresh spawn.) it won't spawn in abundance, and high grades are still very rare and not promised.

Bad side: more zombies will begin walking to said humming generator to investigate the noise, and also lit buildings. Players can also steal a neglicted generator left alone or destroy it. Or said player just hunts you and loots your work.

7. FINDING ATTATCHMENTS

Weapon mods are definitely in even now but I believe a few things should be done differently.

Mods should be detach and retachable. Pull a flashlight off your pistol and tape it to the side of your favorate ak.

Do not leave LAM's just laying around. I never see random buttstocks laying in the grass.

The ability to pull mods from another weapon works much better. Give us the option to pick up the modded gun as is, or just pick up its accessories. ( remember, I'm referring to standalone here.)

8. CHALLENGING LOOT

Make some loot spawns hard to access for more of a challenge.

Examples: to access the barracks armory and bypass the door you need to:

A. Restore power

B. find a key card

To get to the police station armory you need to find a key. (yea go fetch instead of brainless looting.

Handguns in civilian homes should be in concealed places instead of finding it in a pile in the floor. I.e.- dressers and under beds,etc.

In order to get to the gun safe of someone's home, you need to get the code to open it (rifles inside.) a note or clue someone provides the answer.

Posting more later when ideas hit me...

Edited by evoxtom
  • Like 3

Great posts. I really hope Rocket or one of his team read this, maybe some ideas for the standalone. Who knows.

I've been playing DayZ for quite awhile now, but I am an infrequent forum poster... anyways... I considered making a new thread, but I found your post and I have to completely AGREE with the chance of becoming infected. That would add another whole aspect of this game.

My twist on it was this... perhaps after dying from a zombie attack (not a PvP killing) you become an infected (or have a chance of becoming infected). Then you could play your "afterlife" as a zombie, until you die off (maybe a timer for a fixed zombie afterlife time period?), or a survivor kills you as an infected. Then respawn as we know it already... a survivor. If you are near other survivors (upon being killed by a zombie) your chance of becoming infected increases. If you are out in the woods playing alone and no survivor is within a certain distance of you and you get killed by a zombie, your chances of becoming infected decreases. This could be set in place to avoid becoming infected and then not having anything to do besides wander around and sniff other zombies. You could gain specific zombie "attack types", etc. I don't know, just a thought. . Loot would have to be limited for the infected I think. The typically zombie would probably not now how to carry or use anything beyond what the zombies carry in the game already (fairly generic not weapon items, etc.).

Seems like it would add a little excitement to the game after being killed. Anyway - great ideas, keep 'em coming.

Yeah, okay, all of these suggestions are really good. Love the idea of convoys, harnesses and becoming infected.

Thanks for the support guys. I've been sort of on a DayZ break so I slacked on adding more.

I think you've got a nice idea fretman, especially for those who want to play out their character until actual death. I like the touch you have when you do notice it would be boring to wander in the forest like this though.