herrjon

First Player Kill

I was in Chero looking for some food, when I hear gunshots nearby. They were behind me so I look back, see nothing, and assume the way is clear. I decide to run through the building east of the supermarket, when I bump into two guys, holding some decent guns. I panic and open fire on them with my AKM. I knock out one of them and the other holds fire. Turns out they found guns, but no ammo.

I felt terrible, I attempted to bandage my victim before zeds showed up, but I was too late. I had to kill the zeds and by this time, he died. During this his buddy decided to loot my pack, nothing too great, just a full water bottle and some morphine and blood bags. He ran off after that, even though I had an epi-pen he could've used on his friend. Coward.

I then notice on my debug, it was 1 bandit kill, not a murder. This softens the blow, but I still killed a guy, a guy who couldn't kill me back. I said a prayer for him and went on my way.

Did I do the right thing? Did I do the smart thing? Or am I giving in to the shoot on sight mentality? I'm considering not carrying a gun at all.

Edited by HerrJon

I think you're lucky and did the right thing, but be careful next time, it would suck to kill a good guy. That's why I ask questions first, then shoot.

I let my guard down once and I got killed in the dead of night by a fresh spawn with a Lee Enfield. He never even said a word, just opened fire and shot me twice. I never even got a shot off on him either. I had my Crossbow out at the time and wasn't looking both ways. The guy's lucky I let my guard down. The server wasn't popular either.

Edited by Scott Pilgrim

I would say yes. I would have done the same thing. And the fact that he was a BANDIT means he killed an innocent at one time. So technically you did someone a favor by doing that because he would have probably done it again. I don't know how many times I die because I just trust the other person.

Earlier today, I was in a server and a guy said "Up in the firehouse" "I need a bandage" "HELP PLEASE!". At the time i didnt think anything of it, and it was lagging pretty bad anyway. I head up and BOOM dead.. All i see is his bandit outfit.. So it was a trap lol. I fell for it because of how i play..

• Like 1

You did what you had to, judging by the fact that you ran into two armed guys in the biggest murder-town in the game. We meet in Cherno? You're getting a nice helping of bullets from the pig. We meet in a barn somewhere? Then we can talk.

No Fear.

No Pity.

No Remorse.

• Like 2

I run with RLF that's the only time i don't SOS :D

When i lone wolf its SOS, so with that said in my eye's you did right .

Kill or be killed the next time this happens you be the one starting over :o

I probably would've done the same in your situation, and still felt bad about it. That's why this game is so awesome, cause it really tests your humanity towards other players.

Remorse is for tree-hugging, environmentalist, hippy pussies. Kill or be killed, lad. Don't trust anyone. If a man points a gun at, you better, by God, blow his fucking brains out.

Cherno is pretty much battle royale, if you run in to anyone they probably aren't friendly, lol. If they'd had ammo they probably would have killed you. Your best bet is to remain unseen.

No you did the wrong thing imo, i would of just stayed low until they moved off. No one hangs about in Cherno for long.

I have yet to kill anyone, I would in self defence and have had the opportunity to murder folk who have run past me in the woods, unaware I was even there. It still feels like a big deal to me, to kill in a video game that has guns. It's very odd and so refreshing. Games have been trying to add story and graphics to get your emotion going and Rocket gave us a mod that beats EVERYTHING hands down.

I will kill one day, for sure and I'm not looking forward to it one bit.

No you did the wrong thing imo, i would of just stayed low until they moved off. No one hangs about in Cherno for long.

I have yet to kill anyone, I would in self defence and have had the opportunity to murder folk who have run past me in the woods, unaware I was even there. It still feels like a big deal to me, to kill in a video game that has guns. It's very odd and so refreshing. Games have been trying to add story and graphics to get your emotion going and Rocket gave us a mod that beats EVERYTHING hands down.

I will kill one day, for sure and I'm not looking forward to it one bit.

How could he have stayed low if he bumped into them?

I would hit the deck as soon as I heard gun shots, most if not all miss you on the ground. I've had someone quite literally walk inches past and never knew I was there. He could of walked away, they were probably to busy looting to have noticed. He could of just said he was friendly, there is always another way out imo. You might not get away with it but then hey, that's the risk/reward system at its best.

There was no 'staying low'. It was that building with stairs that go nowhere and the loot room you have to go through two doors to get to. I had gone through the first and was ready to peak around the corner then they came out of the corner, point blank. Didn't hear or see them until I was in spitting range. If they did have ammo they would've made quick work of me in a 2v1 where I have to stumble through a door.

Also the gunshot I assume wasn't them, since it was behind me instead of in front. I wasn't quite sure but it sounded like a DMR, so I was trying to lay low in a building until I got my bearings.

You did the right thing, but be a boss and continue to have morals. Don't just turn into a bandit shit show cus you can.

A player thinks before shooting. A survivor shoots on sight.

You did the right thing by shooting him, the wrong thing by not shooting his buddy. All he had to do was find 1 clip on the ground and all your progress was gone. The time for talk was over because you'd already shot his friend, he wanted you dead. If someone has a primary, they will shoot you.

If you want your morals then remember, A dead player thinks before shooting. A survivor shoots on sight but it is a bandit that goes looking for blood. If you dont look for blood then its not banditry, its safety and survival.

Edited by RiKShaw

I was in Cherno trying to get loot with friends. I ran into a building and someone came in right after me and started firing. I turned around and started firing an AKM full auto and went through a whole clip before he died. Mainly because he scared the crap out of me. I was in a room with only one exit and the zeds were coming. I hauled ass out of the building and the guys bud was there and killed me. Luckily my friends took him out and watched my body until I came back. First person I killed.

I was in Electro today and only had a Lee Enfield with 10 rounds (as I had just died, and found some guys body with that on him).

Anyway, down by the dock, I saw him running along so I shouted "FRIENDLY! Don't fire".

The guy then went prone and aimed his AKM at me, so I ducked behind the crane and readied my rifle! I called out "I'm friendly, I just died so I'm heading back to Green Mountain to get my stuff back, don't shoot!" Again, the guy didn't respond!

I knew I was close enough for him to hear me as I have heard players further away than him.

I gave him one final chance and said "I'm friendly, lower your weapon or I'll presume you're hostile!".

Again, he didn't respond, so I went from crouching, dived out the side of the crane into prone and got a headshot out of it....

As well as -humanity which too it to -587!!! I was trying to play a survivor, but I killed an innocent!

However, he did not respond after numerous attempts and did not lower his weapon! This whole standoff lasted about 5 minutes!

Unfortunately, killing is an everyday occurrence in DayZ, I found for the first time today that I couldn't actually go to Cherno without being killed (normally I'm in a group of 6/7 people, but today I went in by myself)

So I just killed again. Balota Airfield. Guy came at me from the side with an axe, broke my leg, I unloaded my M1014. Bandit kill. No morphine. Now I'm stuck here with 3k blood and a broken leg. Hopefully that guy in side chat pulls through.

You tried to do the right thing, and that counts for something. But tactically speaking, you should have been able to kill both those guys before they could so much as look at you. If they had a lick of ammo you'd be on the coast with nothing but your flashlight to keep you company.