paradox666

Choose where to spawn

To be honest I would very much appreciate being able to chose my spawn point. Perhaps even just a spawn zone, which could be a 1km strip or something... I understand you want to go for the ULTRA-REALISM-UBERZOR but seriously. I bought this game to play with my friends, not to spend over an hour walking to them. Even if it stays the same people will continue to just spawn in a shit area, suicide and re spawn...

Thoughts anyone?

I strongly support it. But it might cause people to have massive spawn battles when they know where they are going to spawn. Either way I believe it could work.

Well, if you can chose your spawn, then why not spawn with a map? The point is that you have to find out where you are via the landscape, or finding a map. If you can chose your spawn, that feature is completely undermined.

When I spawn I know where I am 100% of the time, thanks to a browser map, so finding out where I am is a waste of time and all I want to do is meet up with my friends. Also the problem with spawn battles could perhaps be fixed by adding more spawn zones (we have like 6 atm) and making some inland?

Some spawn zones would still be more convenient than others.

This was discussed hundreds of times over. The short answer is no.

It most likely will be no. Unfortunately I see the game dying because of small things like this. Hopefully the good parts and upcoming patches will improve it! :P

To be honest I would very much appreciate being able to chose my spawn point. Perhaps even just a spawn zone' date=' which could be a 1km strip or something... I understand you want to go for the ULTRA-REALISM-UBERZOR but seriously. I bought this game to play with my friends, not to spend over an hour walking to them. Even if it stays the same people will continue to just spawn in a shit area, suicide and re spawn...

Thoughts anyone?

[/quote']

You bought a free mod?

I wouldn't mind having an option to select, east shore, or south shore, but that's about it.

I wouldn't mind having an option to select' date=' east shore, or south shore, but that's about it.

[/quote']

Even that to be honest, is a major improvement!

I'd be alright with this if the choices were limited (Like east or south shore)

Totally against it if you could choose which town you spawned near on the shore.

I'd be alright with this if the choices were limited (Like east or south shore)

Totally against it if you could choose which town you spawned near on the shore.

^This

if its not broke dont fix it. next idea.

but there is a problem. many people keep respawning to get a better spawn location. you might say that it might lead to more pvp wars in the big coast cities but believe me, people respawning for a good spawn location are already doing it so this addition wouldnt change much. then why do i support it? every time you respawn, you make a new character in the database. plus, its taxing on the server to respawn you. therefore, having the ability to choose a rough area of where to spawn will help with server performance and helps to contain bandits around their usual target cities.

I am in very much the same boat as OP, I bought this game only for the idea of playing coop with friends and family. So far we have never been able to find each other. It's a shame when a handful of ultra hardcore fans that want so much realism that it is totally unrealistic and hurts the potential of the game.

At the very least we need a group mechanic that allows you to form groups in the lobby and then spawn together.

I love how you are dropped in this game and have to find out where to go or try go to place you know your friend is or city with loots REALISM your idea takes that AWAY so NO.

Like paradox666 said: You can just keep respawning where you want, so what's the point of spawning randomly?

@coolaceone: I know what you mean, but thats irrevelant to spawning randomly. Once you choose where to spawn, you still need to use the landscape to navigate.

I bought Arma II for this mod so in essence yes.

I assume that means you MUST demand and have those demands delivered because you bought the game specifically for DayZ, right?

I find it absolutely absurd that people are coming on here and pretty much demanding for changes simply because they bought Arma 2 just for DayZ. You've bought a game, and given a free modification. If you don't like it, get a refund then find elsewhere.

Selecting where you spawn will kill the anticipation and the anxiety of not really knowing where you are, or how you're going to get somewhere. It will mean people will just spawn in x, y and z locations leaving others vacant nothing going on which will in effect close off certain areas of the map. In some cases, in my personal experience, spawning in the town the very south-west part of the map meant it would be safe and quicker to travel to Zelenogorsk. But, this places is still very unpopular with people, if anything. Spawns should be more random, and cover a larger space of the 225km playground we have at our disposal.

Another thing about the whole "I want to play this socially" Fair enough, I can understand that. The primary issue is the very basis of the concept: brutality in survival. You're dumbing down this brutality with your demands for selective spawning. If you can choose where you're going to spawn, I can guarantee you, that your survival plans or whatever plans will be virtually the same every single time. You'll remove the spontaneity out of it, and alas get bored of it and probably move on. No lose for anyone really here, other than those who legitimately enjoy the spontaneous spawn points and then having to explore.

What DayZ really needs isn't selective spawn points.

But much more spawn points to begin with which are selected at random. More inland, more to the west coast, more to the north etc etc.

I assume that means you MUST demand and have those demands delivered because you bought the game specifically for DayZ' date=' right?

[/quote']

Let's try to keep this on topic guys. These forums are filled with enough flamers and pointless arguments.

if its not broke dont fix it. next idea.

IF its not broken...but it is so lets fix this? ok.

but there is a problem. many people keep respawning to get a better spawn location. you might say that it might lead to more pvp wars in the big coast cities but believe me' date=' people respawning for a good spawn location are already doing it so this addition wouldnt change much. then why do i support it? every time you respawn, you make a new character in the database. plus, its taxing on the server to respawn you. therefore, having the ability to choose a rough area of where to spawn will help with server performance and helps to contain bandits around their usual target cities.

[/quote']

This^ and what OP said. Dont you guys see that "respawn wars" already happen?? If you go to cherno or elektro you WILL have PvP, with or without spawn selection. Having spawn selection would be also good for who dont want to fight, because they can simply choose Otmel or Kamenka and they wont find any trouble there, but the way like it is there is a chance to spawn in elektro/cherno and they will find trouble.

Its pretty much like OP says... its useless if you guys think that dont having an option to choose prevent me to go to cherno just to kill. I simple click on respawn till I get a closer spawn, thats it. Its a waste of patience, time and fun if I have to walk every time that I get killed. So why not make my life and the others easier? Who want to fight will choose cherno/elektro, who dont will choose the other 8 or more spawns. And yeah, maybe a spawn inland would be awesome too.

I assume that means you MUST demand and have those demands delivered because you bought the game specifically for DayZ' date=' right?

[/quote']

Let's try to keep this on topic guys. These forums are filled with enough flamers and pointless arguments.

I'll refer you to the larger body of text (2 paragraphs on the subject) below that specific segment of my post.

At the moment, I honestly think there's more important things to worry about, other than spawn points. For example, stopping those bloody D/Cers. Had one of the idiots do one on me today just as he was reloading and saw me approaching with my shotgun...:(

YouCanRun, I never 'demanded' anything. I posted a SUGGESTION in the SUGGESTION thread, I'm merely providing my opinion.

Wording in your posts makes it seem other wise{ "I bought Arma II for this mod so in essence yes".

This isn't really a 'social game' considering Arma was meant to be a simulator, whilst you can be social on it. The modification was designed to be, if anything quite anti-social in the sense it's meant to be brutal. Perhaps you could arrange meeting points at specific times, log on a few hours before hand, see where you are then make your way there.

i want this :P

I like playing with friends too, most important thing in gaming. doesnt matter how much of traditional game Rocket wants this not to be, there are some aspects you simply cant take away, espically since gaming with friends is at an all time high.

It also will get more people playing the mod in the long run.