Sign in to follow this  
oatmeal255@gmail.com

Rarity of SVD ammunition, and suggestions to improve realism

After playing DayZ for quite some time I've realized there is a serious issue with the lack of ammunition for the SVD, especially considering Chernaurus is supposedly and Eastern bloc country. It is strange that a rifle such as the DMR has ridiculously common magazines, yet I have found maybe one SVD mag in months and months I have played DayZ. It is also strange that a rifle such as the Lee Enfield is such a common weapon in Chernaurus, when finding such a gun in the area the country is supposedly located in reality would be strange in comparison to finding a Mosin Nagant rifle. It is also highly worth mentioning that the Mosin Nagant uses the 7.62x54mmR cartridge, the same one used by the SVD.

I have a simple fix or two for all of this that would make the weaponry and ammunition found in DayZ make a lot more sense. Replace the Lee Enfield found in game with a Mosin Nagant rifle (no stats would need to be altered, the weapons are quite similar), and label the magazines as 7.62x54mmR. Next make these new rounds the ones used by the SVD, which would completely fix the issue of finding ammunition for the gun. Another change which would make the guns make a lot more sense (and wouldn't affect balance) would be to make the SVD a more commonly found weapon than the DMR.

Just some suggestions to improve the feel and realism of the game world, and help Chernaurus feel like the "Black Russia" it is supposed to be.

• Like 1

The reason why the SVD is so hard to find is because the only SVD in the game that can be used without being hacked in is the SVD Camo, and if you have the Ghillie it makes you practically invisible when sniping. Thats why its so hard to find.

You may have some good facts in here but, in game the SVD is the only sniper with NVG capabilities which makes it much more valuable than the DMR. Also the SVD ammo I have found many times on helicopter crashes.

Yes, changes to weapon itemization definitely need to be made in order to increase the authenticity of the game world. We may have to wait until stand alone to get it though.

You may have some good facts in here but, in game the SVD is the only sniper with NVG capabilities which makes it much more valuable than the DMR. Also the SVD ammo I have found many times on helicopter crashes.

U never had a SVD or a DMR right?

Ya cant use SVD with NV googles, but the gun has rangefinder scope and camo thats why it is awesome for Daylight sniping

the only sniper where u can scope in with NVG is the DMR