Sign in to follow this  
worsin

Why should we be a server host?

Most games that allow people to host a server of their own give admins privileges that help them manage the server.

Im not saying i want omnipotent power to cheat all day on my server. Im talking the ability to keep things fair. Booting players that hack. Banning repeat offenders from your server etc.

After owning my own server for a month now i can say that we get absolutely no privileges except turning on and off the server.

When i first got my own server i thought we would be able to kick people that hacked and ban grievers but that is clearly not the case, owning your own server just means your paying for a game that others play for free and that's it.

My question to you people is what is my incentive for owning a server? There is no difference in the experience for my clan whether its on my server or another.

Im no economist but i can tell you that if you don't give people a reason to pay each month your going to get a TON of people cancelling their servers and then your dead in the water.

Don't get me wrong i love this game, there is just no reason at all to have your own server.

not sure what the incentive would be, other than having first chance at all the lewt. BTW QUIT GODDAMN RESTARTING YOUR SERVER!!! tryin to play this shit lol.

• Like 1

LOL im sorry about all the restarts. Were having troubles with it atm so were debugging a couple things.

Also, first chance at loot doesn't exist either...all the vehicles are despawning on our server so its been a free for all the whole time they have been up.

well, to help with the debugging, there happens to be a lot of barbed wire in electro that wasnt there before. hope that helps

Most games that allow people to host a server of their own give admins privileges that help them manage the server.

Im not saying i want omnipotent power to cheat all day on my server. Im talking the ability to keep things fair. Booting players that hack. Banning repeat offenders from your server etc.

After owning my own server for a month now i can say that we get absolutely no privileges except turning on and off the server.

When i first got my own server i thought we would be able to kick people that hacked and ban grievers but that is clearly not the case, owning your own server just means your paying for a game that others play for free and that's it.

My question to you people is what is my incentive for owning a server? There is no difference in the experience for my clan whether its on my server or another.

Im no economist but i can tell you that if you don't give people a reason to pay each month your going to get a TON of people cancelling their servers and then your dead in the water.

Don't get me wrong i love this game, there is just no reason at all to have your own server.

Read this: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/62195-server-hosting-rules/

This only reinforces my point. Says you can ban for hacking but when i try to do so it does not work.

Rocket makes it his mission to strip all powers from admins.

The point im trying to make is that in any exchange of goods there has to be a benefit for both parties otherwise its pointless. Currently there is no benefit from having your own server at all.

Edited by worsin
  • Like 1

You get to pay to expand their player base, That's what you get for your money. If there was some option to have locked servers characters not copy to other realms i'm sure most would like it. That way people can play with their friends and rule the server how they want, and at the same time not be able to server hop with all their uber gear to ruin other peoples servers.

This only reinforces my point. Says you can ban for hacking but when i try to do so it does not work.

Does not work? What do you even mean?

You complained that you can't ban hackers, and I just linked you to a thread where it says you can. How can you still complain about it?

Does not work? What do you even mean?

You complained that you can't ban hackers, and I just linked you to a thread where it says you can. How can you still complain about it?

Because when i hit ban in game nothing happens. I even tried the command #exec ban playername (instructions i saw online) and nothing seems to work.

Then i read somewhere in an august post that the ban ability was removed from DayZ (cant find where it is)

Do you host your own server?

If so how are you banning people?

Because when i hit ban in game nothing happens. I even tried the command #exec ban playername (instructions i saw online) and nothing seems to work.

Then i read somewhere in an august post that the ban ability was removed from DayZ (cant find where it is)

You might just be retarded if you don't even know how to ban people.

There's no real incentive aside from playing /testing the mod on a server that gives you a stable connection where the server is not kicking you for high ping everytime you join. You're doing the community a favor by providing a testing ground for the mod, You're providing the dev team data that is streamed to the hive for collection. But to some extent you still control the server is some way or another, although many things you cant really do, but your server is sorta your hunting ground for helicopters, since you control the ability to restart the server. As well as the time of the day your server wants it to be, like ie: remotely configuring your server to be a all night time server ( haha ).( you only need to make it so it starts at 8 pm server time and have it restart around 5 am server to make it night again).

you ban people using the ban.txt file .the reason it was turned off through the client was to prevent people from hacking in and being an admin and banning people. Look for a ban.txt file in your BattlEye folder

Add their GUID to bans.txt in the beta BattlEye file then type the command "#loadbans" without the quote.

I don't know what others get out of hosting a server, but the reasons I am considering buying one are these:

- So I can have a favored server which will not be canceled randomly in the night without warning (happened several times already).

- So I can choose which DayZ Release / Arma 2 Beta version to run and when to update. (sick of waiting for my chosen servers to update before I can).

- So I can have a regular server which I can guarantee to be up and running when I want to play (tired of logging in to play only to find that my home server is down).

$40 - $60 / month ($20 - $30 shared) sounds like a hell of a deal to me if it takes care of the above three items, the only question remaining is whether or not all the associated drama that comes along with being an admin will be worth it.

I don't see your server anymore.... I do however see Storm Company server now as a private server... wth? that was my home Worsin...

Honestly there's very little benefits DayZ server policy is far to strict, setting day/night and banning hackers is about it.. but most likely you had your day ruined before you banned them so whats the point really?