Shotgunned

Game got boring real quick without Side Chat

I want the global chat back!

It enhances the interactive part of the game.

Yesterday i saw a player being chased by two zombies in a far distance, he managed to took out one with the pistol but then has to reload and was attacked by the other one.

I then decided two shoot the other zombie and he survived....only two run in a big bunch of zombies on the next corner wich i saw before but couldn't warn him about.

Make it optional, it's not such a big deal and many people would use it.

And NO, teamspeak is NOT an real option, at least not for me because i don't own a headset and don't want one when i could communicate without it.

Edited by Apfelsator
  • Like 1

If they do decide to bring back global chat I really hope you Yahoo! chatters need some kind of rare CB radio item to make it work, really. Like I said in my previous post, if you want to play an interactive chat room just play World of Warcraft instead.

Alternatively, Guild Wars 2 will have no monthly fee for those who's mothers won't pay a subscription.

As I said in another thread" Day Z became pvp after side chat was removed."

People blame all kinds of things for that:

1. Removal of side chat.

2. Removal of bandit skins.

3. Sudden increase in DayZ popularity.

4. YouTubers and streamers.

It's never ending. What makes you think yours is right?

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

What a bullshit are people (all in all stooopid Windows gamers, if you see it from the 1337 Linux perspective) writing here about Yahoo chatters and COD?

The idea behind all of this is:

a) We, the developers want to make DayZ imitate reality

(which is bollocks, IMO)

B) In DayZ reality, you should feel lost, alone, etc.

a + b -> The gamer should have no fun and entertainment

I just don't understand why instead of removing this very interesting and fun function completely, why not give the players themselves the ability to turn it on or off. So it would be an individual choice.

This option would be MUCH more logical.

Its coz the elite playersd and developers know what is good for you... Also I think its not possible with Arma.

But yeah. Removal of entertainment and inclusion of time wasting is what happened in DayZ development lately.-

Edited by plymouth_colony

(which is bollocks, IMO)

Stop getting upset because you're playing the wrong game. Rocket has stated many times at presentations and in interviews that DayZ is more about emotions than fun, he's even gone so far as calling it an "anti-game" on numerous occasions.

If you realise this, and still think it should be more about fun, enjoy The War Z with your safe zones and chat rooms, because Rocket had a particular philosophy about the design of DayZ.

Let me repeat: You are playing the wrong game.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn
  • Like 2

What a bullshit are people (all in all stooopid Windows gamers, if you see it from the 1337 Linux perspective) writing here about Yahoo chatters and COD?

(which is bollocks, IMO)

This is not an entertaining nor fun game and neither is it supposed to be.

• Like 1

If they do decide to bring back global chat I really hope you Yahoo! chatters need some kind of rare CB radio item to make it work, really. Like I said in my previous post, if you want to play an interactive chat room just play World of Warcraft instead.

Alternatively, Guild Wars 2 will have no monthly fee for those who's mothers won't pay a subscription.

People blame all kinds of things for that:

1. Removal of side chat.

2. Removal of bandit skins.

3. Sudden increase in DayZ popularity.

4. YouTubers and streamers.

It's never ending. What makes you think yours is right?

Sorry, I meant to say in my opinion and from my experience, after side chat was removed,I noticed almost immediately everyone became bandits.

Edited by ShanefawkdLori

Side-chat was a terrible idea for this type of game. Just like 3rd person. But kiddos who want it easier will flock to servers with them, and servers will implement it to get more people, and there will be very few servers that provide excellent immersion experience because of it.

while i argree that side chat was full of garbage, 3rd person is pretty important to me. Even with head bob lowered i cant play in first person longer than 5-10 min before it makes me sick, I know many would like first person only, but if that were the case i would be unable to play due to getting sick in first person

Sorry, I meant to say in my opinion and from my experience when side chat was around. I noticed immediately everyone became bandit after side chat was removed.

People also "immediately noticed everyone became a bandit" when bandit skins were removed, when Steam had 60% off, when Yogscast did a video, when Towelliee started streaming, etc. etc.

Personally, I think it started when I got my magical rock that keeps tigers away. I've never seen a tiger, but I've also stopped seeing friendlies, it must be an anti-tiger and anti-friendlies rock.

just came across DE 88, busy server with side chat on. i am with the immersion crowd. it was crappy. scrolling text makes it feel too gamey. too common. moved on post haste

This is not an entertaining nor fun game and neither is it supposed to be.

I'd say, real Zombies, I mean the real reality ones... kill you immediately with one hit and run much faster like you. Also, in a real post apocalyptic world all buildings are bombed and give no shelter.

Immediate player kill by Zombies (at latest after 10 seconds) would be a nice feature. It would add the frustration level real 1337 DayZ players are seeking for!

And yes I agree PVP really started after removal of side chat/no weapon policy.

Edited by plymouth_colony

I dont get people who say that chat shouldnt be in the game full stop... but in real life ( if we want to talk about realistic ) you might find a CB radio or find ways to communicate with people, messages on walls, radios.... hand signals.. smoke signals.. whatever... so have a way in the game that allows people to talk BUT allow those who want to not see the messages turn it off ( or not enable it ) that way everyone is happy

Why should the game ONLY be played ONE way by a set group of people, sure some people dont want 3rd person but some do.... some dont want radios... but some do....

whatever... so have a way in the game that allows people to talk BUT allow those who want to not see the messages turn it off ( or not enable it ) that way everyone is happy

Why should the game ONLY be played ONE way by a set group of people, sure some people dont want 3rd person but some do.... some dont want radios... but some do....

Forget it, even if it was configurable: The people complaining about the blue messages don't want you to use it, because they know what is good for you. A german concept.

I'd say, real Zombies, I mean the real reality ones... kill you immediately with one hit and run much faster like you. Also, in a real post apocalyptic world all buildings are bombed and give no shelter.

Immediate player kill by Zombies (at latest after 10 seconds) would be a nice feature. It would add the frustration level real 1337 DayZ players are seeking for!

that's right, if it's not going your way crank it to 11 in the other direction because that's the best way to make a point.....

I never mentioned realism so I'm not sure why you're trying to use it to bluntly beat me over the head with it, besides, Rocket has always maintained the Authentic > Realistic stance himself.

When I said this game isn't supposed to be fun it may have confused you because i didn't expand upon the point, this game is supposed to be tense with a large dollop of despair wrapped in paranoia and topped with a poisoned cherry. I'm sorry if i don't think "who's shooting in Cherno" "I'm Friendly" "WHY YOU SHOOT ME?" "098 BACK TO BASE!!" "ROGER" "ROGER" adds to that atmosphere.

Edit: I should also make it clear that

a ) I love the idea of CB radios

b ) If i had my way even teamspeak would be blocked. I would like it that if you're chatting to your online friends then people hiding nearby should be able to hear what you're saying.

c ) if side chat was optional I'd oppose it less, I don't care how others play in that regard

Edited by ironman Tetsuo

People also "immediately noticed everyone became a bandit" when bandit skins were removed, when Steam had 60% off, when Yogscast did a video, when Towelliee started streaming, etc. etc.

Personally, I think it started when I got my magical rock that keeps tigers away. I've never seen a tiger, but I've also stopped seeing friendlies, it must be an anti-tiger and anti-friendlies rock.

I think I detect sarcasm.

I'm talking about when the side chat was first removed. I'm not talking about later on when it went on sale or some guy named Toweliee that nobody knows decided to broadcast it. The pvp started as soon as hours later. Honestly, I'm not complaining about it as it's made the experience that more compelling and exciting when coming across another survivor. No reason to get hyper defensive.

Edited by ShanefawkdLori

I can honestly say removal of global chat was one of the best things to happen to DayZ so far. Now no more of

Joe: Any friendlys in cherno?

Tom: Yeah friendly

Joe was killed

Constantly blocking the bottom of the screen.

Radio system is the way to go not bringing back global

• Like 1

no, the game is boring WITH sidechat. no need to read "snipers in cherno is killing us from the tower, plz help!" nonsense or "i'm east of kamenka with a broken leg, come help me!?". it destroys the game. i really love how you are ONLY able to communicate with other players when they are within your range, like it is n real life. brings SO MUCH IMMERSION to the game.

features like these make this game unique. there are hundreds of CoD & left for dead games out there where you can chit-chat while playing. don't try to change dayz, rocket seems to be on the PERFECT direction for this game. look at how successful it is right now. it would be only another medicocre game with stuff like "general chat".

a great thing about this sandbox is, that it forces people to take initiative, to organize themselves. forums and voip are pretty good substitutions for leaving notes and establishing radio contact, features which are not implemented (yet)

side chat however, a global interaction medium available to you from the start? thats just crap. so you're on the shore, alone, with a bandage and a flashlight.. oh and this wonderful gadget which allows you magically to talk and listen to everyone on the map, now isnt that convenient..

social interaction is not missing from the game, its just not served to you on a silver platter while you sit on your thumbs and gape at the screen.. i have had no issue with interaction when going into hot areas, i could alway communicate with my colleagues and my patients, and the overwhelming majority of people i met were friendly and grateful for the help provided..

screw side-chat. i gladly wait for a possible implementation of persistent notes/journals and/or radio system..

And yes I agree PVP really started after removal of side chat/no weapon policy.

Dude, I don't know were u serious or sarcastic but real zombies can't run at all they walk slowly. But ur right, zombie 1 bite, ur infected!

I totally agree that sidechat needs to be in the game. The game is now deathmatch and i have no problem with that but in this sort of game where it can take 30 minutes to head from one place to another side chat needs to be included. Its nice to be able to do something besides shoot a gun for once. Also sidechat makes it about 100x easier to report hackers.

Those craving for realism/immersion should be wondering why random pistols are lying around in houses, glitch deaths in open field with nothing around, how hackers can do whatever they want. Those things are what break immersion.

• Like 1

Servers can have side chat enabled. It destroys the point of feeling alone until you run into people though so im happy with it disabled. In my experience of DayZ since the mod began, iv come to the conclusion that it is pointless anyway. I mean, all that is ever said in global channels is "who is shooting in elektro/cherno", people arguing over pathetic things and going on about it for hours, breaking others immersion with their walls of text, and people bitching because someone killed them. That and it makes life a doddle for bandits while your telling your mate to meet you in stary, he sets up a sniper position and ruins your day.

Hey, it breaks up the monotony of Walking Simulator 2012. You remember this classic?

Joe: Friendly?

Joe was killed.

• Like 2

Dude, I don't know were u serious or sarcastic but real zombies can't run at all they walk slowly. But ur right, zombie 1 bite, ur infected!

lol This has been tested heavily by North Korea and found to be absolutely true in this day in age. Zombies of old, hell, they'd be fast as fuck having to chase skinny people and all....