TheCoolestCat

Suggestion: Coke dehydrating you

Sorry if this has been posted, if it has tell me in the comments or PM and I will remove it, I didn't really know what to search.

Well in real life drinking coca cola or pepsi does not hydrate you, it dehydrates you. So I think that coke should either be replaced with a different drink, or should make you more thirsty, but give you a small boost of speed for a while (caffeine).

I agree it shouldn't act the same as a water canteen. I used to think it didn't, and avoided drinking it. However, I don't think the advantage should be speed, as that doesn't make any sense outside of an RPG style game.

I know drinking a soda before going running slows me down, in real life.

I'd like to brainstorm some advantage/disadvantages, otherwise I like the idea.

I'm pretty sure that coke doesnt hydrate you. It's pretty much the only thing that I drink, and I have no underlying health problems or issues. I do think it should give some kind speed boost and/or some gitters.sorry for slow replies, I'm using my phone

I'm pretty sure that coke doesnt hydrate you. It's pretty much the only thing that I drink' date=' and I have no underlying health problems or issues. I do think it should give some kind speed boost and/or some gitters.sorry for slow replies, I'm using my phone

[/quote']

Well what kinds of food do you eat? Most food has a high amount of water in it.

I suppose that could be it. I eat bran flakes each morning, and a glass of water before I sleep. (milk and water)

But good idea tho:P

But good idea tho:P

I suppose that could be it. I eat bran flakes each morning' date=' and a glass of water before I sleep. (milk and water)

[/quote']

Well there you go, milk is like 90% water. :)

Soda is full of empty carbs that actually require more water to metabolize them. It does hydrate you (because it has water in it) but at the same time slight dehydration is also possible if your body is already dehydrated. On the flip side all that sugar + caffeine could give you a bit of a boost, maybe even temporary "food", as a trade off.

Coke dehydrating you is a myth. The myth is based around the idea that caffeine dehydrates you. This is technically true -- if you took a caffeine pill, it would dehydrate you.

Coke, however, is almost entirely water. The amount of hydration is vastly more than the amount of dehydration caused by the tiny amount of caffeine in it.

You could go for a long jog, drink coke to hydrate and you'd be fine.

I drink mostly diet coke, it doesnt dehydrate you.

Now, regular coke stimulate thirst because of it's high sugar level.

it's doesn't.

Nore does booze for that matter, you retian far more liquid then you loose through unrination.

So no ;)

Wrong.

The "myth" about coke and caffeine too complicated (and well financed) to say one way or the other. Caffeine is actually a diuretic (making you pee more) which unless replenished depletes the body of electrolytes needed to maintain proper hydration. Caffeine IS a diuretic but it takes a fair amount before dehydration becomes a concern. In a nutshell if you tried to live on coke alone you might survive, given you had enough of it, but your body would never be as properly hydrated as with water and a balanced diet.

Lady Kyrah is right, the sugar in a can of non-diet soda is just empty carbs that might give you a short boost in energy but also requires your body to have more hydration to process it. Here is the thread on "Beer" that is also relevant:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1685&highlight=caffeine

I like this idea, and how people are talking about Coke/Pepsi should give a temp boost in food, but shorten the time you get thirsty.

But for those who only drink Pepsi/Coke, I use to only drink Pepsi, now I only drink water and i can tell you that it does dehydrate you, I don't drink no where near as much as i use to.

Also if you only drink soda, you don't have anything to compare the effects too ;)

Also i think this would go good with the water purification that people are talking about, Soda will not make you sick but have effects on your eating habits.

Water could make you sick if you don't purify it, soda could be a good alt. option to drinking dirty water.