Sign in to follow this  
schrapple

Tag items, add incentive not to die?

Just had a quick idea to stop people picking up their old stuff off their body after they die or having huge stashes of stuff, since being able to get your stuff or other good items straight back makes people less concerned about dying and they take more risks (like trying to kill others). What if everything you have recently owned and own when you die was tagged so that you can never pick it up again? So basically everyone starts from scratch again after they have died.

I think this will make people more cautious with their lives in the game and may help slow the PvP a bit.

Its ok I guess but then peoples clan mates would just pick it up and give it to em and lone wolf types would be screwed.

Its ok I guess but then peoples clan mates would just pick it up and give it to em and lone wolf types would be screwed.

That's the good thing, even if someone else picked it up they couldn't give it back to the dead man after he restarted. The item would be tagged forever and you couldn't ever pick it up again.

That's the good thing, even if someone else picked it up they couldn't give it back to the dead man after he restarted. The item would be tagged forever and you couldn't ever pick it up again.

I'm not sure if that is possible to do because of ARMA II's machanics. I don't know though maybe it could be scripted in.

Edited by Tsmyth82

They just need to stop the duping of items and there will be much better game balance and people WILL worry over losing their gear.

Simple dupe fix?

Make tents and vehicles auto save everytime you close the inventory screen so you can't place, save and take.

Bam.

Edited by grylsyjaeger

They just need to stop the duping of items and there will be much better game balance and people WILL worry over losing their gear.

Simple dupe fix?

Make tents and vehicles auto save everytime you close the inventory screen so you can't place, save and take.

Bam.

Except tents are the worst way to dupe your items and most of the time it is done accidentally. Fixing that will not stop the other way which cannot be fixed.

Except tents are the worst way to dupe your items and most of the time it is done accidentally. Fixing that will not stop the other way which cannot be fixed.

Tent cities are an accident? Right....

• Like 1

I'm getting the impression that I'm not the only one getting sick of people becoming indestructible one man armys when the game is suppose to be about just surviving, the game seems much to easy when you're on top.

Tent cities are an accident? Right....

Tent cities have nothing to do with duping. 3 on my server and they have maybe 2 rare weapons in their 15+ tents. Grats on being an idiot though.

Maybe we have a different idea of what 'duping' is mate because to me it's pretty obvious and commonplace on every server I've been on. Finding tent cities and destroying them is my hobby in this game.

Example, I have an M4A1 SD and seven magazines.

I got to my tent, place the weapon and ammunition in there. I save the tent and then remove. I go about my merry way and come back after a restart still wielding the same weapon. Open my tent, surprise, it's an M4A1 and seven magazines of ammunition.

And when people have thirty tents doing this? Shit gets a bit ridiculous.

• Like 1

Get rid of tents and vehicle storage.

Problem solved.

+1

I Don't claim to know what rockets vision was and is for this game but I'm pretty sure hording gear wouldn't have been part of it.

+1

I Don't claim to know what rockets vision was and is for this game but I'm pretty sure hording gear wouldn't have been part of it.

then why would he have tents and vehicles in the mod? dumbass

then why would he have tents and vehicles in the mod? dumbass

Unforeseen consequences.

Possible causes of unintended consequences include the world's inherent complexity (parts of a system responding to changes in the environment), perverse incentives, human stupidity, self-deception, failure to account for human nature or other cognitive or emotional biases. As a sub-component of complexity (in the scientific sense), the chaotic nature of the universe—and especially its quality of having small, apparently insignificant changes with far-reaching effects (e.g., the butterfly effect)—applies.

Robert K. Merton listed five possible causes of unanticipated consequences:[11]

1. Ignorance (It is impossible to anticipate everything, thereby leading to incomplete analysis)
  2. Error (Incorrect analysis of the problem or following habits that worked in the past but may not apply to the current situation)
  3. Immediate interest, which may override long-term interests
  4. Basic values may require or prohibit certain actions even if the long-term result might be unfavorable (these long-term consequences may eventually cause changes in basic values)
  5. Self-defeating prophecy (Fear of some consequence drives people to find solutions before the problem occurs, thus the non-occurrence of the problem is not anticipated.)

Edited by BazBake

Get rid of tents and vehicle storage.

Problem solved.

Except for the fact that there are far more duping methods :( There is at least 2 other methods I know of which work, are more efficient, etc. Unfortunately, I highly doubt this will be fixed - I'm hoping the standalone with stop duping, at least temporarily.