Sign in to follow this  
Amberella☂

The basics.

Noob. Hi.

Just wondering if there are any basic "starting" things I should know about. Like, how to crouch walk, crawl etc. Doesn't have to be stupid things like that, but yeah. Idk, anything you have would be rad.

Launch Arma 2 OA, Play the boot camp tutorials to learn how to actually play. But I'll throw some survival tips here.

Being Chased by zombies? Strafe up hills in a zig-zag to slow zombies down, or duck through a building with two entrances like barns or red houses.

Need a better weapon? Deer stands, Air strips and Military tents contain higher tier weaponry.

Low on food, water, or blood? Eat some food. Getting a Hatchet, Knife, and Matches will let you hunt and cook meat for survival and blood. (800 blood a piece of cooked meat!) And find a water bottle, It can be refilled at Wells, Water Pumps and ponds!

• Like 1

You can actually recover blood from eating cooked meat? Good to know, I don't know how to recover my blood since I'm a loner now and no one can give me a blood transfusion. Thanks for that info.

Launch Arma 2 OA, Play the boot camp tutorials to learn how to actually play. But I'll throw some survival tips here.

Being Chased by zombies? Strafe up hills in a zig-zag to slow zombies down, or duck through a building with two entrances like barns or red houses.

Need a better weapon? Deer stands, Air strips and Military tents contain higher tier weaponry.

Low on food, water, or blood? Eat some food. Getting a Hatchet, Knife, and Matches will let you hunt and cook meat for survival and blood. (800 blood a piece of cooked meat!) And find a water bottle, It can be refilled at Wells, Water Pumps and ponds!

You rock. Ok.

Be careful of the airstrips! They are frequented by players that are generally ready to kill on sight and are not interested in long time lone wolf survival (meaning they travel in groups and are well experienced). Barns are great places to start, but the Lee Enfield is extremely loud, firing guns near zombies will attract THEM and OTHER PLAYERS ready to kill you and take your shit, also getting a decent gun from the airstrips is a must. With shotguns, slug over pellets any day. http://dayzdb.com/map#3.065.078 EXTREMELY HELPFUL. Supermarkets are extremely good for survival and they also give you a chance at a number of great tools, although frequented by players. I generally play on low population servers to avoid HACKERS and BANDITS, this is also helpful when you're looting airfields and supermarkets since it reduces the chance of an encounter and your ass getting killed by jumpy people like me. Falling short distances can break your legs, effectively fucking you completely if you don't have morphine. Deer stands are good places to find guns since they are less frequented by players, thus reducing the chance of you dieing. BE PATIENT! Proning through towns and airfields to avoid detection is much better than having to start all over because you died. Don't waste ammo, food, and don't be too friendly - All of these can kill you. Good luck dude, and remember, playing the game and dying will give you the more experience than what we tell you now.

When you first spawn, look at the bottom right of your screen. Three bits of texts will pop up, the middle one is your location. Find it on this map and use to orientate.

http://dayzdb.com/map#4.127.032

You need to find food and drinks first, as well as a decent weapon, so I would suggest going to a low populated server and heading to Cherno or Electro. Loot around here.

If you can find a vehicle that is fully repaired (not very likely but me and my friends found 2 by hiking up north a bit) use that to drive around. Zombies do NOT spawn when you are in a vehicle. However, this will make you a target for other players.

Something I would suggest is teaming up with a group of more experienced players and get them to teach you the basics.

Not sure what else to suggest to be fair. I'm on my 6th day of playing (Not alive, I've had DayZ for that long). Just go with the flow, you'll learn by dying a LOT!