"The walking Dead". 2nd season, episode 1

A zombie crowd (about 50 zombies) is going in one direction.

Why not make something like this in game? A crowd of 20-25 zombies will stalk around the map.

This crowd will carry nice loot. Players will tell tales about them and co-operate to kill them.

What do you think?

I imagine it may be difficult to implement into the game and could cause lag, but if it could be pulled off yea its a cracking idea! A persistent roaving zombie horde (or maybe a couple) would be fantastic!

1. go into city

2. fire hunting rifle

3. wait

Except maybe for the nice loot, having a zombie crowd is THAT easy. ;)

No honestly, I'm not sure if that would work well or even if it would make much sense. Also I think the crowd would have to be fairly huge or more than one crowd... and they would also have to be optimized by spawning/despawning them when players are near, which could be a bit awkward for a moving horde.

Alternately I think having stationary hordes form in random places (near villages, ruins or roads) would work nicely. Spawn some corpses with special loot on them and have the zombies swarm around them. (like a group of military survivors who got overrun by the horde)

nice idea. and i don't think it's going to be a big thing to implement. the fact that the zombies spawn only in built-up areas and stay around and doing nothing is boring. they should (or at least a part of them) should search for players. like in Charons zombie mod they "smell" you over the whole map afaik.

I just question the strain this could put on a server, and with the stability issues a lot of servers are experiencing is it worth the time to throw it in only to realize it doesn't work as intended (bandit skin is another concept along the same lines).

i guess not much more than the 400->1200 zombies already spawned in game?

They would need a bit of extra pathfinding, but I guess that wouldn't be much more overhead.

This is a great idea, I think it would be a good idea to just have them roam around, because I'm not sure how hard it would be for them to make the horde seek out players.

I think they should not seek for players, they should just go from point to point in circles around the map.

I suggested this awhile ago, but alas with the 28 days later form of zombies, horde would just be too difficult. Imagine yourself walking through the forest and about 40 zombies start running towards you at top speed, you will be over run in seconds and I can guarantee that the majority of players will rage quit.

If they where maybe slow zeds it would be better.

I have said since the beginning, make all the zeds slow, but persistent, so that if you fire a shot and they hear you or see you they don't stop moving in that direction until they hear/see something else, so you can rack up hordes of 100`s of zeds out of a city. This makes life hard because you don't know until you are swarmed in a building that anything was following you.

Encountering a 5 to 10 zombie group in the woods, at night, would be sufficient enough. Perhaps trigger zombies to move from town to town in little groups that you could encounter, and engage or avoid, as u choose.

"The walking Dead". 2nd season' date=' episode 1

A zombie crowd (about 50 zombies) is going in one direction.

Why not make something like this in game? A crowd of 20-25 zombies will stalk around the map.

This crowd will carry nice loot. Players will tell tales about them and co-operate to kill them.

What do you think?

[/quote']

This was exactly my Idea ten minutes ago, I always play with 2-4 mates and ecountering a Group of 20-25 Zombies would be very challenging.

If one of the Zombies drops a Special Weapon or something different usefull, wouldt be very nice.

1. go into city

2. fire hunting rifle

3. wait

Except maybe for the nice loot' date=' having a zombie crowd is THAT easy. ;)

[/quote']

LOL! So true, so true. Me and a guy I had just met were making our way to the hospital in Cherno, the long way around, when some how we triggered zombies along the railroad tracks. At first it was just a handful and we were going to avoid them... we quickly got surrounded and started shooting them. Only maybe 15-30 seconds after I heard the first one scream we had at LEAST 40-50 zombies running after us! Biggest and quickest forming horde I have seen to date.

I tried to take down the central mass with my lone HE grenade but was swarmed as I was throwing it. Blew myself up along with 24 of them (from one grenade!)