Sign in to follow this  
MacAvalan

Noob with a Ghillie Suit

End of my first week playing. Day 0, take twentysomething. My short-term goal is to just live to see Day 1.

Last night I found a ghillie suit. I only had time to run to the woods and try it on before having to log off.

Of course, as a relative noob, it was the most exciting thing to happen to me so far. But the more I think about it, not sure how useful it will be with my play-style.

I don’t plan on doing any sniping any time soon. I don’t shoot on sight. The only time I’m in the woods is running from town to town.

Should I change into it when I’m in the woods, and then back to normal when I’m in a town? It seems like having one on just makes me a more tempting target. And does it really make me that much harder to spot in the woods, enough to offset how much more of an attractive target I am?

ghillie in the woods when used properly can be very affective... back into a tree in first person and your almost invisible from your flank... ghillies are especially helpful when stalking an enemy, and being able to lay down/avoid easier without being spotted. They can work well if you employ the correct play style.

carrying the clothing takes up a slot and you use every inventory slot in the future so i would just chose one or the other

Should I change into it when I’m in the woods, and then back to normal when I’m in a town?

You might lose gear due to bugs at some point (at least in 1.7.2.4) since putting on the ghillie suit can delete your backpack. However, dropping your backpack to the ground prior to that might delete it as well (especially in the woods). Just be aware of the risk.

• Like 1

Obviously this makes you harder to spot for other players, but does it make you harder to spot for zombies?

when you have it on they can't loot it..and if you are in the north you'll be shot almost for sure..and players are perfectly visible with any clothes on a street...take your advantage in the bushes and loot quickly the towns..scope for infected when approaching and listen to others' steps..when i find military clothes i put them on so they can't take'em

Obviously this makes you harder to spot for other players, but does it make you harder to spot for zombies?

a little bit yes i think

I'm totally silly for the ghillie! I've had people run right past me (in the woods) while i was messing about with my inventory and I wasn't even in cover really, they prob just thought it was bush.

At one point my teammate and I both had them and we kept loosing sight of each other while traveling.

If you lay down with it, you're very hard to spot at close range, if you hide in pine trees while crouching or standing you're also very hard to spot.

It's about the only piece of gear I care about loosing when I die (since you can't loot them off bodies)

According to the wiki it doesn't. I did not notice any differences in zombie behavior either.

even if you dont intend to snipe or kill poeple, the ghille can save you from getting killed. its only real enemies are hackers and thermal rifles.

Bear Grylls would say: "Its a shame to waste good pee in a survivor situation." And hes right, so put on the Ghillieboy and spray away...if you know what i mean.

your best off with just taking the ghillie suit and leaving the reg clothes i mean your gonna be seen either way in regular clothing but in the ghillie suit your practicaly a ghost in the woods or in tall grass just take any gun and go go go

Nooo don't take it off, the ghillie suit is also pretty good for stealthily looting towns if you use it right. Not to mention complete camouflage in the woods.

a little bit yes i think

Nah think your're wrong here, supposively it has no effect on zombie detection.

http://www.dayzwiki....ki/Ghillie_Suit

"The Ghillie Suit is one of the most sought after forms of attire in all of DayZ. It allows the player to cover himself/herself in a large, military-grade sniping suit covered with large leaves and brush to allow the player to blend in with almost every forest environment in the game. Although the suit does not offer protection from zombies, it is effective for staying out of sight of other players. It is also useful for hiding from players in helicopters."

Edited by chrislocho

End of my first week playing. Day 0, take twentysomething. My short-term goal is to just live to see Day 1.

Last night I found a ghillie suit. I only had time to run to the woods and try it on before having to log off.

Of course, as a relative noob, it was the most exciting thing to happen to me so far. But the more I think about it, not sure how useful it will be with my play-style.

I don’t plan on doing any sniping any time soon. I don’t shoot on sight. The only time I’m in the woods is running from town to town.

Should I change into it when I’m in the woods, and then back to normal when I’m in a town? It seems like having one on just makes me a more tempting target. And does it really make me that much harder to spot in the woods, enough to offset how much more of an attractive target I am?

Put it on and when you are in town just crawl around in grass to increase your stealthy ness :D

Suggestion:

1) Drop an item on the ground (must not be an animal carcass, because they will eventually vanish along with items put in this kind of item pile)

2) Drop your backpack into the item pile made just prior

3) Put on Ghillie suit

4) Watch in amazement as a new (and empty) backpack magically spawn on your character out of nowhere.

5) Drop the new backpack and pick up the old backpack and the item that was initially dropped onto the ground

6) Watch as you can move around in Ghillie suit, having a backpack accessible with "g" button, but a backpack that is not visible on your character.

Edited by Treehugger

Living makes you a tempting target. Wearing a Ghillie suit makes it harder for people to aquire you as a target. What is the problem again?