Sign in to follow this  
interceptor

Bolts : 3 or 5 in 1 slot

Hello!

I guess it's not a need but it could be quite handy. If you would actually add a boltbag (I'm not sure how it's called) which contains 3 or 5 bolts it would make the crossbow a bit more usefull. I mean you shouldn't remove the single bolts found in some buildings. It's just a new item, which is a bit more rare than the single bolt.

Right now, if you want some reserves of bolts, you have to spend alot of inventory slots for these bolts. This is the main reason I guess, except for the aim bug, that crossbows are useless atm. I'm also aware that you can pick up your bolt again after having shot but mostly you loose them after having missed the target.

I would really like to hear your opinions for or against it. :D

I agree, since an ammo clip has multiple bullets its no far stretch that you can stack bolts together tightly with little to no additional storage space needed in real life, hell most crossbows allow for bolts to clip onto it for quick access up to 6 on sides or wings.

I adore the crossbow, but if your looting it cripples your inventory.

Not a bolt bag per say just a stack, that like an ammo clip has 3 or so ammo count.

This would actually tie in nicely with what we're talking about in the Combine clips thread in here.

Basically solo bolts should remain as they are, they take up a full slot. However, players could find and hold onto clips that let them combine 3-5 bolts into a single slot with the clip.

Agree. I've already replied in same topic, so I will copy my post here:

I was thinking about that too. Ammo takes too much place in inventory. If tent takes 3 slots and each ammo clip takes 1 slot, don't you think that tent is not that small as 3 ammo clips?

I think you should make ammo clip stacking in 1 slot for each type of clips.

Same with crossbow bolts. I want stack same ammo types in one slot.

yep the crossbow bolts just require too much space. however i think a bolt bag would be better though. with 10-15 bolts to make it more competitive to the other weapons.

Good idea... i think that would make the crossbow more often useable!

I don't know if it is offtopic, but I would also prefer the crossbow a little bit stronger. Last time I used it, I needed about 2 bolts for a Zulu... Where is the sense of it, when you can only carry up to 3 bolts (if you want to carry some other things)?!

Additionally the crossbow has it's horrible aiming characteristics, so it would make sense to increase the damage it takes.

How about a quiver that can be found as an additional item which takes up 2 or 3 slots and can hold ~20-30 bolts. It should be possible to tie it to the pick-up action so that bolts get added directly to it when picking them back up. Additionally an action that appears whenever you have both a quiver and single bolts in your inventory, allowing you to put those bolts in the quiver.

That many bolts would make things too easy I think. 10 would probably be the most bolts I'd allow for a 3 slot.

3 bolts per stack is a small, decent number that doesn't make it too easy to use and also makes it better then useless.

In the current state of the mod, this isn't possible to combine bolts into a stack, this is an ArmA 2 limitation. For there to be multiple bolts in a stack at all, they need to be in a magazine which means the crossbow will be able to fire X amount of times and then have to reload.

That said, I hope that some day we'll able to combine magazines and bolts to save space one day through scripting.

In the current state of the mod' date=' this isn't possible to combine bolts into a stack, this is an ArmA 2 limitation. For there to be multiple bolts in a stack at all, they need to be in a magazine which means the crossbow will be able to fire X amount of times and then have to reload.

That said, I hope that some day we'll able to combine magazines and bolts to save space one day through scripting.

[/quote']

This is what I wanted. Nothing more. BTW someone said the word I was looking for ... ADD QUIVERS :D

In the current state of the mod' date=' this isn't possible to combine bolts into a stack, this is an ArmA 2 limitation. For there to be multiple bolts in a stack at all, they need to be in a magazine which means the crossbow will be able to fire X amount of times and then have to reload.

[/quote']

Invasion 44 solved it. There's a module that'll force a bolt action animation for every shot.

Yup, was about to say that.

A slow refiring rate, as well as an additional animation triggered after each shot should do the trick.

There's a different problem however, as far as I remember, the ArmA2 scripting engine does not sport a command to set the number of bullets(bolts) in a magazine. All in all, this whole thing is certainly possible but it might end up getting more complicated than expected.

If I have time this weekend, maybe I'll try to put something together as a proof on concept.

There's a different problem however' date=' as far as I remember, the ArmA2 scripting engine does not sport a command to set the number of bullets(bolts) in a magazine. All in all, this whole thing is certainly possible but it might end up getting more complicated than expected.

[/quote']

What do you mean?

I've never created a weapon for A2 but I'm certain you can specify ammo count for magazines when creating it. Since they're custom made this should not be a problem at all. I don't know how I44 solved this but I guess one way would be just a fired eventhandler that checks if it was a crossbow and if so, force a reload animation.

What do you mean?

I've never created a weapon for A2 but I'm certain you can specify ammo count for magazines when creating it.

Oh, ofcourse you can, but I'm talking about the scripting part of it. The part that would allow us to add arrows to the quiver. That could get tricky for said reasons.

What do you mean?

I've never created a weapon for A2 but I'm certain you can specify ammo count for magazines when creating it. Since they're custom made this should not be a problem at all. I don't know how I44 solved this but I guess one way would be just a fired eventhandler that checks if it was a crossbow and if so' date=' force a reload animation.

[/quote']

Basically how it works is the gun has magazines that it can accept. This is why you can have magazines that work in many different weapons.

It looks something like this in the weapon config:

Magazines[] = {"99Rnd_PulseRifle","95Rnd_PulseRifle"};

The magazine class look like this.

class 95Rnd_PulseRifle : CA_Magazine {
ammo = "10x24mm_Caseless"; //the type of bullet, seen below
count = 95; //Magazine size
descriptionshort = "Caliber: 10x24mm Caseless
Rounds: 95
Used in: M41A Pulse Rifle";
displayname = "95Rnd Pulse Rifle";
initspeed = 840; //Muzzle velocity
picture = "\ca\weapons\g36\data\equip\M_MG36_CA.paa";
scope = 2;
};

And then Ammo looks like this.

class 10x24mm_Caseless : BulletBase {
airfriction = -0.001;
audiblefire = 18;
caliber = 0.33;
cost = 5;
hit = 15; //damage
indirecthit = 0; //splash damage
indirecthitrange = 0; //splash range
typicalspeed = 840; //Muzzle velocity
visiblefire = 16;
cartridge = ""; //ejected casing
};

As for the script, you could make it so that certain types of magazines could overlap maybe?

Oh you're talking about 1/3/5 stacks of bolts?

If it's a major problem just have stacks of 3 or 5. The crossbow can't really compete with the M9SD or any other silenced weapon anyway.

Oh you're talking about 1/3/5 stacks of bolts?

If it's a major problem just have stacks of 3 or 5. The crossbow can't really compete with the M9SD or any other silenced weapon anyway.

Wrong ;)

The benefit of the crossbow is that if you are careful where you shoot it you can recover your bolts and reuse them. Try that with an M9SD!

I'd use a crossbow MUCH more if each bolt didn't take up the same space as a 30 round magazine for an AK...